• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Questions about a 10' pumpkin.

Zed is the name of the letter 'Z'. you can choose to name it differently, but it still sounds the same as part of a word.
'Zebra' is 'Zebra' no matter how you call the letter. callin it John will not make it 'Johnebra'.
As for Z9/Z-9 (or any other number), it will be according to what name you have for the letter. could be Zed (the right way), Zee, John or anything you want (it doesn't mean people will understand you, though). just like you don't call A5, "Aaaa... five", but just the name of the letter.

....and mum is spelt mum not mom. Mom is how a stupid kid would spell it lol.....you Americans with your American language...were are the Canadians, aye... they speak pretty good.....and don't get me started on those crock restling HOSTRAALIAN....lol

Well, I use American spelling for many words: color, favor, neighbor etc. and also chili.
Otherwise I would be making chilli with lots of flavour and colour for me and my neighbours.

rainbowberry said:
It's Zed so it rhymes with led, all the others in the your first list are right apart from Zee. The second list is all wrong apart from the Zed. Hey do I get the final say here as I'm English? ;)

Well,the Oxford English Dictionary lists zed first on its pronunciation key, but the and the Cambridge International Dictionary of English gives zee preference.

So, even y'all can't make up your mind.

bentalphanerd said:
So why bother to put a Y on the end of 'breezy' according to your thory breez would sound the same?

Now ain't that a dooz !

alot of times the letter " Z " in words are spoken with a soft " Za or Zea " sound to it (or whatever its hard to explain, I'm no english teacher), as in the word " breezy " the letter " Y " produces the " eee " sound not the Z
& you should know alot of words have letters in them that are not pronounced or sound different when used in a certain word.

rainbowberry said:
It's Zed so it rhymes with led, all the others in the your first list are right apart from Zee. The second list is all wrong apart from the Zed. Hey do I get the final say here as I'm English? ;)

sure if its for the british english but not american english, I dont understand the rest of the letters are said with the " ee " sound but for some strange reason the letter " Z " is not & instead you place a D sound to it :rolleyes:

stillmanz said:
....and mum is spelt mum not mom. Mom is how a stupid kid would spell it lol.....you Americans with your American language...were are the Canadians, aye... they speak pretty good.....and don't get me started on those crock restling HOSTRAALIAN....lol

you are correct " mum " is spelt " mum " BUT we americans dont call our mothers " mum " like a " mummy " we call them " mom " so its not spelt " mum " they mean the same but are 2 different words!
yes " mum " was around alot ealier than the word " mom " if you say mum is the right way then why do you aussies say " veranda " instead of " porch " like us americans ? the word porch was around like 300+ years earlier than the word veranda (if I'm reading it right) & " veranda monkeys " dont sound right :lol:
*******edit******* I hope some of you know theres 2 meanings to this phrase, so dont get all up in your high horse & assume I meant that 1 meaning**********

just like you say windscreen instead of windshield for the glass on a vehicle, in my opinion a screen is just that a " screen " like a bug screen or a screen you sift dirt/grains through. a " shield " protects against stuff hence why we americans call them " windshields " because they stop the wind from reaching us, a screen is meant to allow somethings through.

you got to remember USA severed ties (in a culture sense & language) from the british hundreds of years ago, unlike you aussies & canuks still have british culture embedded in your culture & language, we do not! we have our own culture which is getting mixed in with other cultures that are coming here. even in USA our language is very different depending on the location you are at - north vs south vs NE vs SE vs central its all different how we speak.

you should tryout the " hooked on phonics " we sell in USA, right now I'd type some stuff our younger generation speaks, you'd be like WTF did you just say :lol: but I cant type it because I dont speak like that or know how to type those words.

i'm really awesome at thread hijacking...

rainbowberry said:
Definitely zed GB, I've never heard an English person say zee.
canadians can't seem to make up their minds. like i said, we're american/british hybrids.

chilehunter said:
well 1st us americans do not pronounce "zebra" as " zeebra " its a simple " zebra " the Z is just a short ZE sound in that word & finish speaking the " ebra "
& by the sounds of the way you others pronounce the letter " z " you'd say " zedebra "

the letter Z is not suppose to have any " D " sounding syllable in it. I know other places pronounce things different but how in the heck do you say the letter Z ? Z-ed or Zed like in the name " edith " ?

then how do you pronounce these letters ?

B = Bee
C = Cee
D = Dee
G = Gee
P = Pee
T = Tee
V = Vee
Z = Zee

in my book thats the correct way :lol:

or do you all say them like this

B = Bed
C = Ced
D = Ded
E = Eed
G = Ged
P = Ped
T = Ted
V = Ved
Z = Zed

:lol:

what about k (kay), f (eff), r (are), u (you), etc... by your logic we should be calling them kee, fee, etc... it's just the name of the letter, what we say when we say the letter alone, it doesn't change pronunciation of words. and we say it like it rhymes with bed.

stillmanz said:

i always pronounce it mum when i'm talking to her, but a lot of times i spell it mom. see, hybridization.

GrumpyBear said:
what about k (kay), f (eff), r (are), u (you), etc... by your logic we should be calling them kee, fee, etc... it's just the name of the letter, what we say when we say the letter alone, it doesn't change pronunciation of words. and we say it like it rhymes with bed.

MY LOGIC :shame: its the english language logic!!! its right there in writing black & white so its not "my logic" ;)
I only picked out words that have the same sound to them, not pulling words out of the alphabet table & saying this is how they should sound. its the english language says how they should sound.

BTW " K " has no Y sound to it, " R " has no E sound to it either, " U " has no O sound either ;)

" mum " do you speak it like it rhymes with the word " mummy " ?
if so then " mom " & " mum " are 2 totally different words spoken differently, but still mean the same thing. because we pronounce " mom " with the " O " sounding something like an " A "

Dude...you're talking to a chick. Logic has nothing to do with this subject or any other for that matter. Now if Grumpy was a man...you would be talking intelligently about something completely different...such as ..." dude..pull my finger!!"

Cheers, TB.

TB - :lol: I know GB is a gal & I know women can have some crazy logic every once in awhile, not saying GB is having that right now, its just a friendly debate on the english language.
& the american way is right :P:lol:

well at least people are remembering i'm a girl...
CH - you are aware americans didn't invent the english language?... when i said r and such is like are i was saying like the word not the seperate letters A-R-E.

it's starting to be clear why the zee/zed debate rages on in canada... cuz now we're even debating letters we name the same way...hey, isn't pie great?

GrumpyBear said:
CH - you are aware americans didn't invent the english language?...

well duh! we all know it was the Inuits ;)
how dumb do you think I am ? I know the english language was formed in the british area, but was formed not by the brits more like the germanic tribes that migrated there & then mixing with the norse language, then over time creating what english as we know it today.

ok the last part I looked up :lol: but I knew it was formed in the british area.

by Elias C Member since:
May 06, 2006
Total points:

"A porch is attached to the home usually in the front or back. A balcony is an extension of a room on the exterior of the home usually in the air. A patio is detached from the home and on the ground. A deck can be attach or detached from the home but is not covered and is not on the ground. A veranda is a mixture of a porch and a balcony. It is used as living space." (from the mouth of an American on one of those yahoo quetions forums)
lol I just had too.
...that whole porch monkey thingmight get you in trouble CH.

chilehunter said:
ok the last part I looked up :lol: but I knew it was formed in the british area.

well i wasn't really asking cuz i figured you knew, which is why i don't understand how come you're insisting the british pronunciation can't be right...

i think i like cherry pie best.

GrumpyBear said:
i think i like cherry pie best.

cherry pie...thats only pie to the 5th decimal point. I think pumpkin pie {relation to thread} and Apple pie {but not the one in the movie} take top billing

I read a book that was written by an Australian and he kept referring to doing 'math' at school, like studying his 'math' homework. In England we call it 'maths' never 'math'.

It is called maths here too. He must have been edited...same way they had to dub Mad Max {road warrior}.
Ever seen a cockney accent subtitled for U.S audiences lol

Back