• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

randyp 2016 IOWA,,Older and (bud) Wiser grow.

Hello my friends,I am still in the cold  and slow time of year.I have my first(3) seedlings of the year.The first plant was the "Mystery Wine".A Chis Joyner masterpiece that eluded my garden last year due to my failure to do a good job drying seeds.I got this from a pod the reigning Growdown Champ (terry) sent me.Not many changes this year,And I still need the right hip replaced,I am holding out as long as I can,(7 years till I retire)I will update what's going in the garden when I see them in a pot,I put out a list before that never rang true so we will delay my "Wish List"
   Thanks for stopping by all you old and soon to be friends.My updates will pick up when my weather does,
Good luck to all of you this year.
Randy

To go forward we must look back.
the top is my first grow out of buckets 3 years or so ago,the bottom is the 2015 grow with beds and an automatic water drip system
SANY0002.JPG

DSCF8575gardensot10-9.jpg

this is the new grow room which was raised  to 30 inches.I can get down fine,getting up is a bitch,lol
DSCF9130.jpg

installed doors on the seed starting station to help control temps..(my daughters old dollhouse I made her at 5 years old)I used parts lids I got from work.One had a neat drawing from a fellow co-worker must have worked up while not working.I liked it and decided I am an art collector.
DSCF9153.jpg

DSCF9133.jpg

There are 2 types of trays.Jiffy pucks(top) and a 3 mix starter I made.My starter had the first seedlings by the way.
DSCF9156.jpg

Joyners "mystery wine"
DSCF9164.jpg

LOT-Jalapeno-onion-garlic and carrot ferment started 2 weeks ago.
DSCF9110.jpg

A pork butt cooked today to take to the AC/DC concert in Kansas City Sunday.Mini vacation,3 days in BBQ town.
DSCF9160.jpg

one more and I'm out.My furniture eating jack russell-shih tzu dog Ryley will also be back to rid my yard of cats.
DSCF9162.jpg

stickman said:

There ya go Randy! Good luck with your efforts. I'm gonna do the same with my heirloom Gochus, King Nagas, MoA Bonnets and wilds. :party:

I think it'll also make for more controllable crosses.
   This is my first year trying the delicate hand at crossing.I am more concerned I learn to isolate pods that are true.I will be watching your progress Rick.I am trying molasses at half strength with my ferts to get a feel for it.WE are in a heat wave for us.About 4 inches low for rain this month.My driplines have saved this years crop.

Jumbo hybrid jals
DSCF0002.jpg

trinidad scorp
DSCF0006.jpg

yellow peter pepper
DSCF0017.jpg

orange jalapeno
DSCF0018.jpg

row shot
DSCF0007.jpg

jaloro jalapeno
DSCF9998ab.jpg

randyp said:

Scott,you do not know how much I am blessed with your health getting better and being able to inspire.I as many missed you very much in 2015
 Thanks Randy ;)

I was truly scared back then, I consider myself among the lucky ones. And never want to go there again!

Garden is kicking it! Loving all the poddage too!

Plants are really putting on the growth!

3 weeks without rain? Most seasons I go with hardly any, except this and last year. I must have been a good boy (not) ;)

But, I'm pullin' for ya rain and garden wise!

Fish dish looks great!

Devv said:
Plants are really putting on the growth!

3 weeks without rain? Most seasons I go with hardly any, except this and last year. I must have been a good boy (not) ;)

But, I'm pullin' for ya rain and garden wise!

Fish dish looks great!
   The plants handle heat better then I do Scott.lol

I have started stringing plants.It's so simple and does a better job then those plant killing Tom cages.
DSCF0099.jpg

DSCF0100.jpg

DSCF0101.jpg

Chris Joyners.Your Mystery wine is pushing pods let's see if it is what I pray it is.
3 pics of the MW
DSCF0097.jpg

DSCF0089.jpg

DSCF0090.jpg

Brazilian Starfish
DSCF0093.jpg

stickman said:
Nice results Randy! How much longer 'til you start getting ripe pods?
  Thank's Rick.If I wanted green Jals,I could pull some now.I am turning them all red this year.The others will tease me for weeks. ;)

dddd said:
I'm am very envious of your garden Randy. Looking good!
Dustin,thanks for checking out my grow.Stay with me and when they get crazy I will save you some pods. :party:

Heavy storms Sat night coming from the southwest.A strong wind pulled from the east back into the storm knocked a few plant's down back to the west.I made repairs and they are fine.
DSCF0103.jpg

DSCF0102.jpg

DSCF0104.jpg

DSCF0105.jpg

2 inches of rain in my fert container in 30 min.
DSCF0107.jpg

around my block my neighbors sweet corn was flattened
DSCF0110.jpg

Spring storms can tear shit up fo sure!

Been there done that! Glad your garden hung in there! My corn has done that 2 times in one year, a littl propping back up and it does fine. Shallow rooted they are..

Your plants are kicking it!!! Making me look like a slacker this year....

Yea this heat makes for fun storms.  Iowa is kind of sucks right now.  I saw that the northeast of Iowa is I think over on average rain fall for the year so far.  Yet here in central Iowa, southeast and western Iowa we are all under on average.  We missed out on those storms I think Saturday.  I've been having to water almost every other day. 

Thanks for the good vibes guys.Garden is pushing pods.I have a couple that may mixed up but they should work themselves out by August,lol

tequila sunrise
DSCF0142.jpg

lady bugs that need to get a room
DSCF0146.jpg

yellow naga brain strain
DSCF0147.jpg

not scotts white hab.  either it is yellow bhut xx 7-pot or I think its 7-pot red xx chocolate bhut.
DSCF0148.jpg

white 7-pot from 2015 that has some tailing going on
DSCF0149.jpg

mystery wine
DSCF0150.jpg

garden shot
DSCF0151.jpg

tctenten said:
Looking mighty fine Randy.
   Thank's Terry.The peter pepper pods I got from you look great but are taking their sweet ass time podding up.lol

OCD Chilehead said:
Wow! Garden is shifting gears. I like the string. I used it on all my tomato plants.

I like the pod formations.

Glad your garden is doing well, and didn't get hit to hard by the storm.
Love using the string Chuck.My odd pods kick my butt.I really try to do a good job labeling.I think some spilled into cells next to each other in my cell packs this spring'

D3monic said:
Everything is looking really nice, garden is good an healthy. Wont be long before you have more pods than you know what to do with. 
Micheal thank you for the kind words.I added some not so hots this year to real back in the locals I scared away last year. :party:

randyp said:
Micheal thank you for the kind words.I added some not so hots this year to real back in the locals I scared away last year. :party:

Heh, heh... good luck with that... once you get the reputation they just don't buy "No, really, it isn't that hot." :P Nice that you dodged a bullet from the weather Randy. The way you have things re-enforced with string must have helped. Things are really looking strong in your raised beds... I bet you do well in the County fair this fall!

stickman said:

Heh, heh... good luck with that... once you get the reputation they just don't buy "No, really, it isn't that hot." :P Nice that you dodged a bullet from the weather Randy. The way you have things re-enforced with string must have helped. Things are really looking strong in your raised beds... I bet you do well in the County fair this fall!
 Thank's Rick,remember the song "killing them softly"? That is my plan this year with the peppers.

Odd pods 
Not white hab
DSCF0162.jpg

yellow naga brain strain
DSCF0164.jpg

patch of four Mystery wines
DSCF0157.jpg

Back