• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Ratman667's 2011 Grow log

I will be the first to admit, I didn't have that great of a season last year. I got overly optimistic and crowded my garden with too many plants. I lost over half my plants due to it. Lesson learned and moving forward:

I also didn't build my raised bed very well either. The timbers I used to build it, warped and split over the winter, so I am scrapping the entire thing and starting over.

Since I am limited to the space I can use, the dimension will remain the same, 8'x16'. I will be making the base out of 2”x12” with a 4”x4” post every 8'. Plus another placed 3' from a corner for the gate. I would prefer to use 1”x2” wire, but can only find 2”x4” locally. The top will be surrounded with 2”x4” to help support the wire. The surrounding fence will be 4' high to mostly keep neighborhood kids from accidentally eating the peppers...

I didn't really care for the way the sprinkler hoses I used last year worked, so I will be devising another irrigation method. Again, I will have to comply with local water regulations... Whatever I use will have to pump out enough water in 30 minutes to water the whole garden. I also only have 2 days a week I can water. I am open to suggestions on this... I understand that peppers don't require a lot of water, but the ground dries out fast here.

As for the layout of the plants, I will be making 3 rows of 4 plants. I have decided to only grow peppers this year as I still have several cans of tomatoes put up. Plus, I just don't have the room. I also plan to have another 12 plants in containers.

I have decided to plant 6 or 7 types. So far I have ordered:

1. Thai hot – Local
2. Bhut Jolokia – NMSU
3. Datil – NMSU
4. Aji Lemon – NMSU
5. Red Fatalii – Local
6. 7 Pot “Douglah” - Local

The seeds acquired locally I am pretty certain are true as they were grown separately in mini-greenhouses by a friend of mine. However, only time will tell.

I would really like another super hot, but can't/haven't found anything else that grabs my attention. Open to suggestions (handouts?) on this one as well.

I also need to setup my germination “box” and grow lights. I had to take it down to make room for my new macaw's cage.

I will update more as it happens, but it will be a slow process over the next few weeks. I still have to gather supplies and go scoop up a few hundred pounds of manure. Not to mention all of the labor to get everything ready while trying to juggle working full time and helping a friend get his restaurant ready to open.

Wish me luck guys and gals.

Love how you are setting this up. In the early season and fall, it would be very easy to pull clear plastic over the whole thing to hold the heat in. It would be great on cold nights too. Nice.

Oops, I just noticed you are in Florida. You do have some cold weather at times don't you?

We do have a few cold nights a year. This year, I plan on trying to cover a plant with plastic when it gets cold to see if it will make it through.

So far, I have 6 of 6 Aji lemon sprouted along with two fatalii. If I can get a 100% germination rate from everything I will be thrilled.

Little pic happy update:

I noticed today that one corner of my tray is staying wetter than any other side, so after snapping off a few pics, I rotated the tray.

DSC_6930.jpg

So far it goes like this:

Thai...1 of 6
Aji Lemon... 6 of 6
Datil... 0 of 6
Bhut... 0 of 6
Fatali... 2 of 6
Douglah... 1 of 6

Little Douglah hook:

DSC_6925.jpg

It's a bit hard to see. It just broke the surface this morning.

Either later today or tomorrow, I will be moving the Aji lemons and Fatalis closer to the lights.

As of today:

Thai... 2 of 6
Datil... 2 of 6
Aji Lemon... 6 of 6
Fatali... 6 of 6
Douglah... 2 of 6
Bhut... 0 of 6

I may lose a Datil. The casing got stuck and it looks like the stem is turning black right below it. I sprayed it with some water to loosen it up.

I moved the Aji Lemon and Fatali about 3" from the lights.

Got some more work done on the garden done today. Got the gate built and wired. Started breaking the ground. I have this streak of hard dirt about 16" down. I'm gonna dig past that and mix peat into it as I fill it back in.

Either Friday or next Tuesday, I will be going for a load of crap. That too will be mixed in as I fill back in.

After I get that taken care of and leveled out, I will be building the irrigation system. I called City Hall and like DP said, the water regs only apply to sprinklers. So, I will be using this for the early morning waterings. If they need more, I can use a can or hose.

I have seeds still breaking the surface and others that are growing their first set of real leaves.

Thai... 3 of 6
Datil... 3 of 6
Aji Lemon... 6 of 6
Fatali... 6 of 6
Douglah... 4 of 6
Bhut... 3 of 6

Thats a 69.44% germination rate so far. Not too bad, but I am hoping for better.

I will try to get some pics up soon.

Here are a few pics from a few days ago. Instead of digging the entire garden up by hand, I just dug a bunch of holes that I will fill back in with the manure/peat mix. I dug the holes 30" apart for 2 rows of 6 and one row of 5. I left a spot so I could open the gate.

2011-02-20_16-19-54_834.jpg

2011-02-20_16-20-11_794.jpg

2011-02-20_16-19-42_918.jpg

I also got started on building the irrigation system. I ran out of PVC about half way thru. Making a run to HD as soon as the base traffic lets up some.

The numbers I posted last time still stand. I think I may lose two plants. The one Datil that the seed casing got stuck on isn't looking too hot and the last Bhut to sprout just stopped growing. After the first transplant, I may start a few more seeds to try and get the number of plants I want.

What I used and have into this so far:

peppersheet.jpg

The items with a quantity of 0 are things I haven't gotten yet or haven't decided on.

Got everything about done until I plant. I am going to get another bale of peat, mix it with some more manure and spread it over the top.

2011-02-24_17-26-18_732.jpg

The stakes and tomato cages are just to mark the holes. I don't need a twisted ankle.

Nice garden! Really like the irrigation system. I've been thinking about something similar. What size drill did you use for the holes in the PVC?

Got most of everything transplanted today. I ran out of cups. I will get the last five plants planted tomorrow after work.

I am planning on getting everything in the ground around April 6th - 10th.

If only I had a yard to do this... totally jealous. Beautiful garden and I also like the irrigation system. Sorry but just to clarify the white pvc lines be located under the soil line?

Thanks everyone. The pvc will be resting on top of the soil and mulch. The holes that the water shoots from are aimed so the water lands near where the base of each plant will be.

Thanks. I used a soaker hose last year and didn't like it. It puts water out in places I didn't need it and took forever to water everything. With this setup, I can put water at the base of each plant, and it puts out a pretty impressive amount... I think it will work well enough to repeat in the future. The biggest upside was the cost... Roughly $15 for the whole thing.

I have everything transplanted and growing well.

I had a few problems with leaf curl, but it seems to be clearing up.

Several of the plants are at their 4th and 5th set of leaves. At the rate they are growing, I may be hardening off as soon as two weeks.

The one little datil that I thought was dead from the seed casing sticking, has a leaf on it! It is still only about 1/2" tall, but it is coming back.

I also got some basil, balm lemon and chive seeds planted today as sacrificial plants.

Everything got its first taste of sun today. I had to wait till late evening to get some shade for them. I'm gonna get a white sheet to hang over them for a few days until they are ready for direct light.

I got the garden filled up today. All that is left is getting it mulched.

Thai:
IMAG0030.jpg

Datil:
IMAG0031.jpg

Aji Lemon:
IMAG0032.jpg

Fatalli:
IMAG0033.jpg

Bhut and a Douglah:
IMAG0034.jpg

Douglah:
IMAG0035.jpg

I still have two Aji Lemon and three Fatalli plants that I am not sure what to do with yet.

The plants with the tomato cages are on the end that gets the most wind. They will be gone as soon as the stalks thicken up enough for me to be comfortable.

Back