• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Ratman667's 2011 Grow log

I will be the first to admit, I didn't have that great of a season last year. I got overly optimistic and crowded my garden with too many plants. I lost over half my plants due to it. Lesson learned and moving forward:

I also didn't build my raised bed very well either. The timbers I used to build it, warped and split over the winter, so I am scrapping the entire thing and starting over.

Since I am limited to the space I can use, the dimension will remain the same, 8'x16'. I will be making the base out of 2”x12” with a 4”x4” post every 8'. Plus another placed 3' from a corner for the gate. I would prefer to use 1”x2” wire, but can only find 2”x4” locally. The top will be surrounded with 2”x4” to help support the wire. The surrounding fence will be 4' high to mostly keep neighborhood kids from accidentally eating the peppers...

I didn't really care for the way the sprinkler hoses I used last year worked, so I will be devising another irrigation method. Again, I will have to comply with local water regulations... Whatever I use will have to pump out enough water in 30 minutes to water the whole garden. I also only have 2 days a week I can water. I am open to suggestions on this... I understand that peppers don't require a lot of water, but the ground dries out fast here.

As for the layout of the plants, I will be making 3 rows of 4 plants. I have decided to only grow peppers this year as I still have several cans of tomatoes put up. Plus, I just don't have the room. I also plan to have another 12 plants in containers.

I have decided to plant 6 or 7 types. So far I have ordered:

1. Thai hot – Local
2. Bhut Jolokia – NMSU
3. Datil – NMSU
4. Aji Lemon – NMSU
5. Red Fatalii – Local
6. 7 Pot “Douglah” - Local

The seeds acquired locally I am pretty certain are true as they were grown separately in mini-greenhouses by a friend of mine. However, only time will tell.

I would really like another super hot, but can't/haven't found anything else that grabs my attention. Open to suggestions (handouts?) on this one as well.

I also need to setup my germination “box” and grow lights. I had to take it down to make room for my new macaw's cage.

I will update more as it happens, but it will be a slow process over the next few weeks. I still have to gather supplies and go scoop up a few hundred pounds of manure. Not to mention all of the labor to get everything ready while trying to juggle working full time and helping a friend get his restaurant ready to open.

Wish me luck guys and gals.

We were 91* here yesterday, 87* today and not forecast to get below 75 for the rest of the week. What part of AL are you in silver?

Something decided it didn't like one of my fatalli plants and broke it off at the ground. Good thing I had a few spares.

I have a few plants left if anyone local wants to trade. Aji lemon and Red fatalli.

Just a small update.

Got a few buds that need picking.
IMAG0045.jpg

IMAG0042.jpg

Knee high Thai.
IMAG0039.jpg

IMAG0044.jpg

IMAG0043.jpg

I'm a little worried about this Datil:

IMAG0041.jpg

It was as healthy as everything else when I planted it, but it isn't growing and looks like that...

Any ideas?

Other than that one plant, everything it growing fine. I should be able to leave buds on some of the plants in the next few weeks. My super-hots are lagging a bit behind, but i still have a good growing season ahead of me.

Yes, I need to weed the garden and put down mulch.

It has been a bit since I posted an update.

I got a bit behind on everything with work, so I now have a weed/pepper garden. I'm getting out tomorrow to get as many weeds out as I can.

I took a quick look tonight and my Thai plants have about 100 - 150 pods between the three. The Aji Lemon have even more than that. Everything that I have planted has at least one pod per plant. I will try to get a few pics tomorrow.

It has been a bit since I posted an update.

I got a bit behind on everything with work, so I now have a weed/pepper garden. I'm getting out tomorrow to get as many weeds out as I can.

I took a quick look tonight and my Thai plants have about 100 - 150 pods between the three. The Aji Lemon have even more than that. Everything that I have planted has at least one pod per plant. I will try to get a few pics tomorrow.

Looking forward to the pics. I would highly recommend picking up a bale of straw after you weed tomorrow. One bale costs me $6.50 and covers my two beds (132sq.ft.). It is definitely worth the few dollars to basically not have to weed. A few here or there may find their way through but they are easy to pull out.

I'm going to get some straw or something on Friday when I get paid.

This is what I pulled out today:

_DSC7859.jpg

Here are a few pics of everything:

_DSC7889.jpg

_DSC7886.jpg

Thai:

_DSC7883.jpg

Fatalii:

_DSC7876.jpg

Douglah:

_DSC7874.jpg

Bhut:

_DSC7871.jpg

Datil:

_DSC7870.jpg

Aji Lemon:

_DSC7862.jpg

That is just a taste of what is growing now. By the time my season ends, I should have a good amount of pods in the freezer.

Checked everything when I got home from work today. A few of the Thai are starting to show color! Starting to get excited.

Nice work, my datils look like that too, but worse and bigger... I bought some hot thais, and the leaves shrun to 1/5 their original size... look healthy, just dwarfed for some reason... :beer:

Couple of teaser pics:

Bhut:

IMAG0002.jpg

Thai:

IMAG0003.jpg

I am starting to think that the "Thai hot" seeds that I got this year are a cross. I haven't eaten one yet to compare the heat and flavor, but they are 6-8" long... Something isn't right.

Also, out of my three Datil plants, one is a Datil, one isn't producing yet and the other appears to be a habanero of some sort.

From what I can tell, the Douglah, Fatalli and Aji Lemon are true.

Even if the ones mentioned aren't true, I'm sure I can still find a use for them.

I already have two 1 gal jars for pickled eggs, green tomatoes, okra, and Fatalli.

Plants are doing great Ratman.

You're correct, that posted pic isn't a Datil.

Looks like you'll have plenty of ripe pods soon, nice job.

Picked a few "Thai" today:

IMAG0004.jpg

Why I don't think they are Thai hots like I thought:

IMAG0005.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

That was the smallest one. The rest are full of seeds almost all the way down.

The heat is about equal to a Thai, maybe a bit milder. The flavor is nothing like a Thai. Nothing like a Cayanne either. It is sweet, fruity, not so much a citrus flavor. Really hard to describe.

Here is one "Datil" pod:

IMAG0007.jpg

And another from a different plant, but from the same pack of seeds:

IMAG0009.jpg

A blind man could see that is not a Datil. Habanero maybe? Time and taste will tell.

Here are two of my Douglah pods. Can't wait for these.

IMAG0011.jpg

So, it has been hotter than the 7th layer of hell lately. Despite pretty bad pod loss due to sun scald and droppage, I got in a pretty good first harvest yesterday:

IMAG0029 by Ratman667, on Flickr

We have two Fatalii, an orange hab that came labeled as a Datil, some of the pods that were labeled as "Thai" and some Aji Lemon. Btw, I tried a Fatalii and I am not convinced those are not meant for human consumption...

Noticed something else too:

IMAG0032 by Ratman667, on Flickr

Nearly ripe Douglah! Already got an idiot, I mean victim, I mean volunteer to try one with me. I'm thinking of taping it for the world to enjoy.

I haven't really been posting pics of my harvest or garden in a while. With the lack of rain we have been having, the garden doesn't look too good, but is still pumping out peppers. I have several one gallon freezer bags full.

I am now in the process of canning and drying everything.

Back