• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Reaper trashing...

Got my electric bill, no longer trying to sell year round.  Think I might try an underground / pit green house, but am thinking the cost of operating a high tunnel style green house during the winter months is far too high.

D3 - Thanks and damn....

On my birthday, I figured out that full tilt I can make about minimum wage on the mixed SFRB without labels.  Not with planting and tending, just going out to a full garden and moving as fast as I can.  Since I am slow, I kind of figure an able bodied person could do about twice as much.  So if I wind up needing an employee, it would work out about even.

ajdrew said:
Got my electric bill, no longer trying to sell year round.  Think I might try an underground / pit green house, but am thinking the cost of operating a high tunnel style green house during the winter months is far too high.

D3 - Thanks and damn....

On my birthday, I figured out that full tilt I can make about minimum wage on the mixed SFRB without labels.  Not with planting and tending, just going out to a full garden and moving as fast as I can.  Since I am slow, I kind of figure an able bodied person could do about twice as much.  So if I wind up needing an employee, it would work out about even.
I was camper camping in Kentucky a couple years back, and it snowed, and I didn't have heat because I live in Florida and don't need that feature.
Anyway for 10$ at Walmart I got a small forced air heater that would warm the entire 28' camper in about 10 minutes. It turned itself off when it was warm enough.... No idea what it would cost to run it 24/7 or what your temps are like compared to Louisville KY, OR how big your tunnel is and thus how many would be required... But it worked quite well for me, turned on and off on its own, didn't burn my camper down and what not. I doubt it will solve the reaper v primo dilemma... But it fixed me up.

Jss, campers aren't known for great insulation but I am thinking they are much better than high tunnel plastic.  I still think it can be done, just not with a high tunnel.  Maybe a pit green house or owe with double wall hard plastic. 

queequeg152 said:
what are you running in there? electric heat?

Was using an electric garage heater with its own thermostat.  It was the largest I could get that was still 110v that wouldnt burn up an extension cord from the barn.  I am poor folk.  I imagine a better heater would help.  I kept things growing into December, so I do not regret the high tunnel at all.  Just gotta figure out a better way to go if I want to grow year round outdoors.

Also, it doesn't help that I have lights running indoors.

Back