• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Rib Doneness Poll

If you have to gnaw on them to get 'em off the bone, they're not done yet (I don't care what the BBQ comps say). If they end up dry you gave them too much heat too soon. It's a fine line, just like when smoking a whole brisket.

PS Don't forget to baste.

Over "smoking" kills alot of ribs,most rubbed ribs taste like rub with no rib flavor
Which is why I dont keep any smoke in the stack and I damn sure dont use rubs
True old school Texas style Q is becoming a lost art due to the foodie invasion
Good seasoned wood and proper heat management is the trick to old school pit cooking
If it taste like meat when your done,ya done good ;)

TNKS said:
Over "smoking" kills alot of ribs,most rubbed ribs taste like rub with no rib flavor
Which is why I dont keep any smoke in the stack and I damn sure dont use rubs
True old school Texas style Q is becoming a lost art due to the foodie invasion
Good seasoned wood and proper heat management is the trick to old school pit cooking
If it taste like meat when your done,ya done good ;)
You fail to mention you rarely find pork ribs in Texas, beef is completely different animal. 

Naah,I get either pretty easily thru local sourcing
None of my pork is "solution injected" and most all my beef and buffalo is wet aged
That crap people by at Walmarts and other chain stores is garbage I refuse to eat.
All meats they say are bad for your health is not to be blamed on the meat,its the source and how they process it that will kill you.

Love BACON and cook alot with lard :)

I understand what you are trying to say. You like the natural taste of the rib. I however like to enhance the flavor with different fruit woods and rubs based on what I feel like having. I dont like a lot of rub on my ribs but I do like a good Memphis dry rub and thats it. A good rub and mop and I wont need sauce. Most are sticky sweet in the East. 
I have different rubs for Briskets, shoulders, Butts and fish. My taste and my  .02

Head back down that way and youll find many joints with pork ribs and the majority will be $20.00+ per slab
I dont do much in Austin other then LEAVE ASAP,that village isnt missing any idiots,they are all there :party:

Damn wish I could get a rack for $20 here... some of the BBQ joints here are by the pound, and I've paid $11.50 for 2 damn ribs.

It's NY son.

Wherever you live x 4 = here.

Ill stick with $10-12 per slab retail
AND and bust out the smoke here at home.
Piss On that right coast comunist crap

I decided to compromise. I put 4 racks in the electric smoker today (only because I need my pit for the hoover doovers (bacon wrapped onion rings, fire grilled artichoke, and jalapeno poppers)

I have two racks of St. Louis, and two racks of baby back. I'm going to make half and half. Some will almost fall off the bone, some will have a little pull left. Everyone gets their preferences.

Buzz said:
I decided to compromise. I put 4 racks in the electric smoker today (only because I need my pit for the hoover doovers (bacon wrapped onion rings, fire grilled artichoke, and jalapeno poppers)

I have two racks of St. Louis, and two racks of baby back. I'm going to make half and half. Some will almost fall off the bone, some will have a little pull left. Everyone gets their preferences.
Win win

The Hot Pepper said:
Damn wish I could get a rack for $20 here... some of the BBQ joints here are by the pound, and I've paid $11.50 for 2 damn ribs.
Hey Boss, what is your best spot in the city for BBQ?

Back