• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking ribs round 2 - with pics

Very interesting Bam, as I read that a water smoker wouldn't reach a high enough temp with the water pan full to do ribs in a timely manner. Thus I foiled my water pan to catch drippings, and left it dry. Still, my ribs killed, and I believe I will be doing another batch this weekend. The combination of the sweet rub bark and the carolina mustard-Q sauce was great, and I've been dreaming of it ever since!

FiveStar said:
Very interesting Bam, as I read that a water smoker wouldn't reach a high enough temp with the water pan full to do ribs in a timely manner. Thus I foiled my water pan to catch drippings, and left it dry. Still, my ribs killed, and I believe I will be doing another batch this weekend. The combination of the sweet rub bark and the carolina mustard-Q sauce was great, and I've been dreaming of it ever since!

this is what i use

Mustard Vinegar Sauce

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup Yellow mustard
1/4 cup onion finely minced
2 cloves garlic pureed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Combine ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

For a smoother sauce, blend on high for a few minutes.

I try to go as long as I can before wrapping depending on time. It doesnt take much time in foil to get it done. I find an older pig takes a bit more time than an younger so in some cases a 3-1-1 will work as well - to you take the membrane off ? I remove it and then the flap meat is alllllll mine on the side I just pick at it when I mop

I like that Mustard Vinegar sauce Bam thats being saved in my recipe archive for next time -- looks like it would be good on Butts

I know I am not BAM or any other professional, but I use the Brinkman water smoker a lot and I'd like to weigh in. Use the water, smoke the ribs for about 3 hours then either put them on the grill and sauce them, or remove the water and put them on the bottom rack and sauce them. Either way they will carmelize in a half hour or so. The times I am giving are very dependent on your cooking temps so as a rule of thumb, sauce them and then bring them to a high temp for the last 20-30 minutes.

JayT said:
I know I am not BAM or any other professional, but I use the Brinkman water smoker a lot and I'd like to weigh in. Use the water, smoke the ribs for about 3 hours then either put them on the grill and sauce them, or remove the water and put them on the bottom rack and sauce them. Either way they will carmelize in a half hour or so. The times I am giving are very dependent on your cooking temps so as a rule of thumb, sauce them and then bring them to a high temp for the last 20-30 minutes.

i use to use the same smoker JT...one of my favorites..as a matter of fact i just sold it to build my UDS...

I think it is pure genius Bam, for $40 anyone can use a smoker. Granted to get the most out of it you have to know what you are doing and practice a lot, but I would recommend it to anyone. I know you cook for many more people, but for a family or small get-together, that, along with another grill is plenty to feed 20 pretty well as my Memorial Day pics proved. (Too bad a couple of the pics didn't transfer they were a couple of the best ones...)

I'd love to get one of those as it's a real bargin...but i'd need a yard or something to put it on first...
sorry-053.gif

LUCKYDOG said:
Hey Bam how about a recipe for the BLT salad ?

BLT Pasta

1 1/2 pkgs of cooked muli-colored penne pasta (i usually use bowties but couldnt find none.)
1 lb of bacon - fried until crisp and crumbled
3 good tablespoons sour cream
3 good tablespoons ranch dressing
4 heaping tablespoons miracle whip
1 small pkg grape tomatoes - cut in half
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 green onion
dash of cajun seasoning
sometimes i add about 1/4cup grate parmesan cheese

cook bacon and pasta as directed. Mix all ingredients together except half of the tomatoes then top with the other half of tomatoes, sprinkle on cajun seasoning and green onions.

serve warm or cold. its good either way

peter pepper said:
here's the smoker I have right now:

Old Smokey Electric Smoker

I like the ease of electric - I just have to find where to set it at for the temp I want. However, I'm thinking someday I'll have to get/build a smoker that uses charcoal.

just be careful with that smoker...make sure that when you are cooking some meats that the temp does actually get to 250*F like it says... just want you to be safe with the food you cook on it..

if you ever need help with building one just let me know, i am more than willing to share my knowledge or help anyway i can

Back