• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

RocketMan 2014 - Resurrection

Wow, first growing season in the new house and I'm totally stoked for this one. Lots of prep work still to be done but there's plenty of time to get it done before plant out. So, here is a pic of where Pepper Row will be going in:

D94DFA0C-B99C-4B8A-982B-79DE489D9ABE-8559-00000C4E05B54911_zps3cffd7c1.jpg

I'll be coming out about another 18 to 24 inches from the fence. The brick line will move out to the new edge and the Ivey will be kept cut back to wher it is now so the fence doesn't show through, she who must be obeyed has made it known that she doesn't want to see it :)

I'm still working on the list and as these will probably be in for a while I'm actually thinking about rather a short list using the peppers I use most often in sauces but can't get locally like Fataliis and planting 3 or 4 of each.

The other, non-pepper stuff will be growing in the big bed at the end of the row. We'll be putting in raised beds there but first I have to remove this bast@rd:

Nice to have around the plants Andy but not around the kids or wife. They no like :) I'm really hoping that this pod comes out to be what it's supposed to be.

No, he didn't get me Sawyer. I think he was in a declining state and was confused. 

Thanks for the link Paul, I think you may be right. We have a lot of these around in the summer time but they're very aggressive. My wife's sister, who lives with us if very allergic to stings and with the little ones I pretty much have to destroy on sight. According to what the information on the link about their lifecycle:

Paper wasps are semi-social insects and colonies contain three castes: workers, queens and males. Fertilized queens, which appear similar to workers, overwinter in protected habitats such as cracks and crevices in structures or under tree bark. In the spring they select a nesting site and begin to build a nest. Eggs are laid singly in cells and hatch into legless grub-like larvae that develop through several stages (instars) before pupating. Cells remain open until developing larvae pupate. Sterile worker wasps assist in building the nest, feeding young and defending the nest. A mature paper wasp nest may have 20 to 30 adults. In late summer, queens stop laying eggs and the colony soon begins to decline. In the fall, mated female offspring of the queen seek overwintering sites. The remainder of the colony does not survive the winter.

This last line is what makes me think that the one on my plant won't be around for long.

The red ones are always the most aggressive ones in my experience, the red and black house wasps being somewhat less so.  Every year I have one of the latter queens try to build a nest between the inner and outer back doors to my place.  I'll let them build just about anywhere else, but not there.  I wait 'til she's gone to feed or gather cellulose, then pull down the starter nest and a day or two later, there'll be another.  I don't know if eventually she goes elsewhere, or just dies.  I like it when they build between the screen and window glass, because I can get a safe close-up view of their activity.

Nests around the house I don't like.  I've found that if I encounter a wasp in the garden, it's usually not too bad.  But if you stumble into their nesting area, they can be aggressive.  With bee sting allergies, I can see why you'd not take a chance.

I'm not a fan of them nesting around the house either, or in the shed. They drive us crazy in July and August trying to drink out of the pool. I made them a watering station by the garden, I really wish they would stick to that.

Back