• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

RocketMan 2014 - Resurrection

Wow, first growing season in the new house and I'm totally stoked for this one. Lots of prep work still to be done but there's plenty of time to get it done before plant out. So, here is a pic of where Pepper Row will be going in:

D94DFA0C-B99C-4B8A-982B-79DE489D9ABE-8559-00000C4E05B54911_zps3cffd7c1.jpg

I'll be coming out about another 18 to 24 inches from the fence. The brick line will move out to the new edge and the Ivey will be kept cut back to wher it is now so the fence doesn't show through, she who must be obeyed has made it known that she doesn't want to see it :)

I'm still working on the list and as these will probably be in for a while I'm actually thinking about rather a short list using the peppers I use most often in sauces but can't get locally like Fataliis and planting 3 or 4 of each.

The other, non-pepper stuff will be growing in the big bed at the end of the row. We'll be putting in raised beds there but first I have to remove this bast@rd:

They are looking good (apart from the bites). Gotta be a bug or caterpillar of some sort, right?  And the top one looks different than the rest.  The top looks like a hornworm or something, while the rest have holes in the middle of the leaf itself.  Not sure what that means though.

One of my TS ButchT looked like your top plant,I found a big hornworm chilling out on the next plant beside it.He paid with his life.Those other plants are maybe a slug or grass hoppers,caterpillar as said from Pulpiteer. Good luck on finding out what it is.I would check it out in the morning and in the after noon,sooner or later it will screw up.

Plants are coming along RM, except for the hungry bastiges. I'd look for snails, slugs, crickets or hoppers. They all eat holes in the leaf. I'd look for hornworms around the plant in your first pic. They eat from the edge. Of course, it could be a host of other critters as well.

Good luck and kick some azz.

Bill, I'm having issues with caterpillars on my young broccoli and lettuce. I use Dipel dust, it's an organic BT powder and works really well. Then at least you can rule them out, I suffer with the grasshoppers too. Especially this time of year...

The Dipel dust saved my corn crop this spring, I sprinkled it on the silk when it first appeared and had only one ear with a worm, as opposed to every ear in years past. 

Devv said:
Bill, I'm having issues with caterpillars on my young broccoli and lettuce. I use Dipel dust, it's an organic BT powder and works really well. Then at least you can rule them out, I suffer with the grasshoppers too. Especially this time of year...

The Dipel dust saved my corn crop this spring, I sprinkled it on the silk when it first appeared and had only one ear with a worm, as opposed to every ear in years past. 

Dipel. +1

The Dipel dust should be easy to find, I bought mine here in Devine (small town) at the Ace Hardware store. It works so much better than the liquid BT, as it sticks to the plant well.

The plants seem to be really enjoying this cold weather. Leaves are a nice deep green and they're growing nicely and if you look at them compaired to the above pics they've come a long way from then. Hopefully they'll give a few pods up before going into the ground next season. Here are the pics I took right before spotting the Great Horned Owl on the top of the screen:

BCCD55BD-2205-43CA-B24A-B6C01CA5C5A1_zps7zals4v7.jpg

0A8FBE65-AE11-42C3-8477-F74BD636D85F_zps6xquxzdt.jpg

A368702B-132C-4360-A49C-8440B7DB7335_zpsrjgkrhaf.jpg

55E3C272-CDF2-45B2-B000-D26991D78350_zpsmrp8czgj.jpg

9F630122-EB94-4FC3-83E1-AA1D7C1B4394_zps5k4q0fiz.jpg

7DA65399-FA96-48DE-92DB-D2C65BD9ADFB_zpslzlcrhlw.jpg

E2366790-9993-4380-B621-C9D429366B45_zpsbt1tew9s.jpg

E0006437-9B9A-4BC5-8F7D-2A20EEF17014_zpslvfymgnf.jpg

Owls you say, Great Horned Owls? Well, yeah, at least that's what they look like to us.

89A7D250-23AD-470B-B1EE-064D5AC6C615_zpszoiiynre.jpg

EB3CC871-8B71-4617-A4B2-98A669E240E8_zpswijqc7p4.jpg

Thanks for stopping by and Happy Thanksgiving y'all

RM

Edit: There were 2 of them. Initially when I went out to take the pictures the first one was the only one there.Once I noticed them I slowly made my way back in and got the kids so they could see. There are more pics of them in the Photo Album in The Lounge. Pretty sure the second one was the first ones mate. She gave him what for before storming off in a huff cause all HE wanted to do was hunt!

;)

Plants are coming along very nicely Bill!

Cool that the Owls stopped by. I used to hear them all the time here but not so much anymore; although I got some good pics of a baby a few years ago that was in a void on a Live Oak.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Back