• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

RocketMans Theriac

So, what is a Theriac you ask, we'll a Theriac is an ancient word for a cure all. It could also be called a Panacea. In the 16th century Adam Lonicer wrote that garlic was the rustics' Theriac or Heal-All and as this sauce has over 2.5 pounds of Garlic, well there you go. The sauce also has celery root and other proprietary ingredients as seen in this picture of the ferment jar.

1BA7430D-1ABD-4F63-8BB8-CF4EEEDF81C1-8418-00000B8B0D220C1A_zps7083f464.jpg

45 days and we'll see what we have, man I can't wait to see how this one comes out :)

Oh, did I forget to mention White Bhuts? Thanks JoynersHotPeppers

SmokenFire said:

What do you use the finished product for?  Is it like a garlicy horseradish type condiment?  

Man, I've used it with a lot of things but mostly I'll use it to make Garlic Buttery Hot Wings, on Sandwiches usually mix some with some Mayo for a Roast Beef or Turkey sammy. I've used in stews and soups and such though too. 

No updates, the recipe I listed in grams so the numbers look big. The Celeriac or Celery Root, is just one nice size one. I used White Habs in this batch and used White Bhuts in the original. Any white peppers will do, you just need to decide on how hot you want it. Onion and Leeks are 1 large one and Whey was collected as in the Fermenting 101 from a big tub of Greek Yogurt. 

Good luck JMN and post up the pics!

Cheers,
RM

RocketMan said:
No updates, the recipe I listed in grams so the numbers look big. The Celeriac or Celery Root, is just one nice size one. I used White Habs in this batch and used White Bhuts in the original. Any white peppers will do, you just need to decide on how hot you want it. Onion and Leeks are 1 large one and Whey was collected as in the Fermenting 101 from a big tub of Greek Yogurt. 

Good luck JMN and post up the pics!

Cheers,
RM
Nice just picked up my garlic this is gonna be great!!!! Thanks RocketMan!!!! :)

RocketMan said:
Time for another round of Theriac!

1,360 g Garlic
136 g Sweet Onion
136 g Leek
907 g Celeriac
150 g White Habanero
40 g Salt
Zest of a large Lemon
1/2 cup of Whey

Letting this ferment for 90 days :cool:
Last time it came out a pale white color but I've seen a lot of people have really green sauce come out from the fermentation process. I'll be interested to see how this comes out.
RM, I don't see liquid in the recipe, did you top off with water or let it ride as is?

Thanks!

So I just finished getting mine going. Followed RM recipe pretty close, but added dried Thyme, Rosemary and topped it off with Muscato. Yield was about 2 perfect half gallons.

And pics or it didn't happen!

3lbs garlic is A Lot of garlic to peel. Definitely get pre-peeled or you will hate garlic.
IMG_20151015_204337_zpsgvygjsvp.jpg

Leeks! Mmmmm...
IMG_20151015_204429_zpsf2nnekzv.jpg

I keep the guts out of other mashes in the freezer, came in super handy for keeping the color on this one, but still adding some heat.
IMG_20151015_224719_zpsl7pmxb3y.jpg

Some of the other players.
IMG_20151015_204241_zpspoqza4uy.jpg

And she's done!
IMG_20151015_224534_zpsizhchz35.jpg

After cleaning up the kitchen and washing everything I'm already seeing some action :)
IMG_20151015_224443_zpstydjx3lt.jpg

Ok Big Ups to RocketMan for this great post and along with brother John I submit my RocketMan's tribute theriac!!

I followed the recipe almost exactly but I used chardonnay as my brine and Probiotic capsules for a starter also made my go-to cabbage leaf caps. The front two are with the white habs and the back has no peppers for family that don't like to much heat! :)
IMG_20151016_111508.jpg

IMG_20151016_123917.jpg
IMG_20151016_123901_hdr.jpg

Thanks again RocketMan and good luck John !! :)

Ohh hey how long should we let these ferment RocketMan? I usually run a minimum of 90 days. Thanks

Back