• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

RocketMans Theriac

So, what is a Theriac you ask, we'll a Theriac is an ancient word for a cure all. It could also be called a Panacea. In the 16th century Adam Lonicer wrote that garlic was the rustics' Theriac or Heal-All and as this sauce has over 2.5 pounds of Garlic, well there you go. The sauce also has celery root and other proprietary ingredients as seen in this picture of the ferment jar.

1BA7430D-1ABD-4F63-8BB8-CF4EEEDF81C1-8418-00000B8B0D220C1A_zps7083f464.jpg

45 days and we'll see what we have, man I can't wait to see how this one comes out :)

Oh, did I forget to mention White Bhuts? Thanks JoynersHotPeppers

JohnsMyName said:
Looks great Salty! I think I'm going to do 90 on mine. I might pull one at 60 to compare to the 90 one since I have 2 jars.
RM, when you process, do you just puree it all up? Any acid to hit < 4.0 mark?
Thanks John!!!! Yeah we should be processing at the same time. I think RocketMan did a quick ferment his first I curious to hear what he has to say. Otherwise I'm going 90 with a possible 60 as well.

I'm sure the ph will be well below 4.0 Mark especially on the 90 days.

First a little update:

0A1E91F3-DE9B-46A7-8BB5-EACDFBBF8C09_zps0szqzfm0.jpg

So it's been 44 days in the fermentation. The original batch I only fermented for 45 days. This one I'm going to let go for 90 days. Shoot, I might get to the 90 day mark though and decide to let it go for another 6 months. It still has a very strong garlic smell however it's not as raw as it originally was. Now the raw flavor will go away during cooking so don't worry about having a really strong raw garlic flavor in your finished sauce.

Next up, responses:

JohnsMyName said:
RM, I don't see liquid in the recipe, did you top off with water or let it ride as is?

Thanks!

Yes, after pouring the whey over it I topped it off with a brine. I tend to use less salt as I have High Blood Pressure and can add more at processing to taste. With a good starter to get it going there isn't as much of a need for the higher percent brine.

JohnsMyName said:
I'm making one today too, can't wait!

I don't have any white hot pepper, but I do save the guts out of the hot peppers I deseed. What do you guys think about adding that for heat but not color?

Pepper guts, yeah that's a good idea if you don't have any white peppers. You could also make it with out any peppers and get some Pure Evil from Salsa Lady and heat it up that way.

Have any of you had this happen:

There have been several members who have posted about issues with their ferment starting out like mine and then turning blue or green. Even in other threads there are reports of it happening. I've even read in a thread where it happened with vinegar. Look at this from page 2:

JamesN said:

2i06dkw.jpg

As to why mine have never done this, I have no idea. Perhaps something about the Leaks or the Celeriac, I honestly have not a clue. There have been several possible cures for it, 1 says to use distilled water and another says to use mature garlic not young, so it could be that the pre-peeled garlic I use is old enough that it doesn't change. The good side is that it's just a color change and doesn't affect the flavor.

Cheers Brothers 

Hahaha now that's green!! St Patrick's theriac!! Wow JamesN he was one of the first members to help me with fermenting as well as brother RocketMan!! :) Mine kept it color I used the pre peeled garlic as well. And white zin for my brine as per JamesN instructions. I'm a wine brine man all the way!! :) thanks James if your still out there brother!! :)
I'm with you RocketMan I use starter to help promote a quicker start to fermentation to keep salt levels as low as possible. No issues with salt but why tempt fate!! Hahaha, Healthy is as healthy dose!
I've got three running think I'm going to let one run 90 days and then go as long as I can stand it with the other 2, maybe let one go for a Year perhaps? :)
Looking Good RocketMan!! Thanks again brother!!

total noobsauce said:
What is the difference in results when fermenting whole ingredients separately first, rather than pureeing them first all together and then fermenting them?

Great question, the difference isa that they have 90 days to get all happy with each other and for the flavors to meld and get all mellow and sh!t :cool:

If you really want to see what I mean the do a little experiment and try it both ways.

I'd be tempted to call that H.S. Stag Semen ... if for no other reason than the market potential of semi-offensive gifts ...

The shape of those bulbous onions and the color of the sauce ... makes it both intriguing and challenging, good job!

RocketMan said:

Great question, the difference isa that they have 90 days to get all happy with each other and for the flavors to meld and get all mellow and sh!t :cool:

If you really want to see what I mean the do a little experiment and try it both ways.
I'm confused, wouldn't they not meld together if the ingredients were relatively whole and unmixed?

total noobsauce said:
I'm confused, wouldn't they not meld together if the ingredients were relatively whole and unmixed?

They will meld and get happy together once they're all mixed and have had a couple of weeks to a month to sit on the shelf and to get to know each other. By having everything in the jar fermenting together they've already got 45 to 90 days of getting happy already done. If you've ever made a sauce and tasted it right from the pot your cooking it up in and then again tasted it from the bottle a couple of weeks later, you don't do any tasting in between then you'll see the difference between them. If you've never done this you should because there is a change for the better that happens in that time. Rough edges are smoothed out and sharp flavors are mellowed. 2 more weeks and you'll not changes again in it.

Like I said though, if you really want to see what the difference is, try making a sauce both ways and see what you have in the end with each sauce. Either way you go, your going to have a good sauce so you could just chalk it all up to personal preference.

Cheers Mate :cool:

santis00, once you get the Ph down you can let it go as long as you want. If you read about Tobasco's process the let theirs go for 2 years and I've read threads on here where others have let them go longer. Someone found a mash they had started and forgot about for like 6 years and it was still good. So, just let it run as long as you feel safe doing or you can stand without taking a taste :)

Back