• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

ronniedeb's 2013 season

Hi. Growing in Ireland. Will upload some photos as soon as I can. This is what I am growing:

Chinense
1.Naga Morich
2.Fatalii Red
3. Bonda ma Jacques
4.Trinidad CARDI Yellow
5.Pimenta de Neyde
6.Aji Panca
7.Butch T
8.Pieto de Moca
9.Apricot
10.Aji Limo

Baccatum
1.Aji Cito
2.Aji Benito
3.Escabeche
4.Madre Vieja
5.Dedo de Mocha
6.CAP 220
7. Brazilian Starfish
8. Hot Lemon
9. Omnicolor

Annuum
1.Superchilli
2.Numex Big Jim
3.Goatsweed
4.Padron
5.Short Yellow Tabasco
6. Eastern Travis County Tepin

Wild
1. Flexuosum
2. Lanceolatum
3. Rhomboideum
4. CGN24333
5. Chacoense

Frutescens
1.Chenzo

Pubescens
1.Albertos Rocoto
2.Large Red Rocoto
3.Rocoto de San Isidro

There are sure a lot of recipes on the web for all cuisines... were there any in particular you were interested in?

stickman said:
There are sure a lot of recipes on the web for all cuisines... were there any in particular you were interested in?

Tomatillos, I meant. I've only ever made chile verde with them.

This weeks harvest is smaller than the last few weeks. 

Two plants that were overpowered by the other plants in the greenhouse, Dedo de Moca and Starfish have produced a ripe pod at last.

Dedo de Moca

Starfish

That's a colorful harvest ! All kinds of fine looking peppers.
Your chile (salsa) verde looks fresh and appetizing. I also like the looks of the jars they're in.

My seasons over, but it looks refreshing to watch others reap the harvests.

Hi Ronan, your last couple of pulls look great! Have you grown the Dedo de Moca before? How does it taste, and what is its growing season like? I'm planning on starting one in a couple of months, but your input could change the plan. Cheers!

stickman said:
Hi Ronan, your last couple of pulls look great! Have you grown the Dedo de Moca before? How does it taste, and what is its growing season like? I'm planning on starting one in a couple of months, but your input could change the plan. Cheers!

Hey Stickman. Thanks. I have heard great things about the Dedo de Moca. Unfortunately it and the Starfish got burnt from growing too close to my propagating lights at the start of the season. They were then overrun by other varieties in my packed Greenhouse. Because of that these were the first pods. For this reason, I'm not sure what their growing season would be like if grown without impediment. They didn't live up to the reviews I had read about them, but I am going to taste a few more pods before I make my mind up. The Dedo de Moca are almost completely heatless and sweet. I'll give you a better review when I taste a few more. Do you have seeds? I can check if I have some left, or save you a few open-pollinated seeds from one of the remaining pods if you'd like.

ronniedeb said:

Hey Stickman. Thanks. I have heard great things about the Dedo de Moca. Unfortunately it and the Starfish got burnt from growing too close to my propagating lights at the start of the season. They were then overrun by other varieties in my packed Greenhouse. Because of that these were the first pods. For this reason, I'm not sure what their growing season would be like if grown without impediment. They didn't live up to the reviews I had read about them, but I am going to taste a few more pods before I make my mind up. The Dedo de Moca are almost completely heatless and sweet. I'll give you a better review when I taste a few more. Do you have seeds? I can check if I have some left, or save you a few open-pollinated seeds from one of the remaining pods if you'd like.
Thanks for the offer Ronan, but I already have seeds in hand... I was just wondering what the pods tasted like, and how many days to maturity. I grew some Aji Panca chiles this year, and even with the early start they didn't ripen before the frost killed them. They were big plants and covered with pods too... just ripened too late to plant in the climate here. I wanted to avoid a similar occurance next year with the Dedo de Moca. I'd heard they were mildly hot but with good flavor. I was figuring on using them in sauces and powders as a base, and kicking the heat up a notch by blending in other kinds of chiles. Cheers!

stickman said:
Thanks for the offer Ronan, but I already have seeds in hand... I was just wondering what the pods tasted like, and how many days to maturity. I grew some Aji Panca chiles this year, and even with the early start they didn't ripen before the frost killed them. They were big plants and covered with pods too... just ripened too late to plant in the climate here. I wanted to avoid a similar occurance next year with the Dedo de Moca. I'd heard they were mildly hot but with good flavor. I was figuring on using them in sauces and powders as a base, and kicking the heat up a notch by blending in other kinds of chiles. Cheers!

I had Aji Panca this year as well. Shady location. Didnt even get an unripe fruit. I will try to overwinter it. Dedo de Moca translates as "Young Woman's Finger", I believe, and this may be a generic type of name like "Birds Eye". The ones I had this year were a baccatum. I got the seeds from another chilli grower.

These ones here from a Brazilian seed company are a Cayenne type annuum: https://www.sementesfeltrin.com.br/Produto/pimenta-cayenne-dedo-de-moca

Semillas.de has them as a baccatum, but he describes them as smaller and medium hot. 
 http://www.semillas.de/cgi-bin/shop_en/shop.cgi?shop=&product=Peppers%20DG&cart_id=

Kind of like this description: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXXIU8jJ4oY

Mine were definitely larger and heatless to mild. Probably fitting the description at the bottom of this page best:
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/sweetpeppers.html

Thanks for the "heads-up" Ronan... from what I read/saw pictured when I bought the seeds it looks like I got the Baccatum variety of the Dedo de Moca. It mostly doesn't get as hot here as it does for Neil down under, so mine probably won't be as hot as his, but it looks like I should be able to get a decent harvest before frost so it's a go for next year. Cheers mate!

stickman said:
Thanks for the "heads-up" Ronan... from what I read/saw pictured when I bought the seeds it looks like I got the Baccatum variety of the Dedo de Moca. It mostly doesn't get as hot here as it does for Neil down under, so mine probably won't be as hot as his, but it looks like I should be able to get a decent harvest before frost so it's a go for next year. Cheers mate!
Sorry Stickman. I missed this post. Best of luck with the Dedo De Moca.
Greenhouse is cleared. Lots of green pods, but hopefully some might ripen off the plant. 

Harvested my first ever Rocotos!

That's it for 2013.

Back