• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

ronniedeb's 2015 season

Well my list gets bigger year on year. 

Chinense
1. CGN21566 BRAZIL
2. CGN21500 BRAZIL
3. Tobago Sweet TOBAGO
4. Scotch Brain USA
5. Bahamian Goat BAHAMAS
6. Fatalii CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
7. Cumari du Para BRAZIL
8. PI257176 PERU
9. Pickersgill Orange BRAZIL
10. Tucurrique Yellow COSTA RICA
11. Puerto Rican Yellow PUERTA RICO
12. Belize Scotch Bonnet BELIZE
13. Mako Akokosrade GHANA
14. Coyote Zan White BRAZIL
15. UBSC Brown USA
16. Bhut Orange Copenhagen DENMARK
17. PI281317 TRINIDAD
18. Guwahati Bhut INDIA
19. Pimenta Puma ITALY
20. Cajamarca PERU
21. Morango BRAZIL
22. Pimenta Bico BRAZIL
23. Pimenta Tekila BRAZIL
24. Pimenta Ouro BRAZIL
25. Pimenta Salar BRAZIL
26. CAP691 UNKNOWN
27. Elysium Oxide Bonnet USA
28. Pimenta Lisa NETHERLANDS
29. Brown Egg CGN22856 NETHERLANDS/BOLIVIA

Baccatum
1. Pimenta Barra Ribeiro BRAZIL
2. Aji Norteno PERU
3. Aji Verde PERU
4. Aji Cristal CHILE
5. PI 199506 Guyana GUYANA
6. Aji Fantasy FINLAND
7. CGN22871 UNKNOWN

Annuum
1. Kapia Pepper HUNGARY
2. Fiesta F1 Pepper ??
3. Aconcagua ARGENTINA
4. Poblano MEXICO
5. Amish Bush USA
6. CAP253 UNKNOWN
7. CAP1473 UNKNOWN
8. Donne Sali GUAM
9. Chihuacle Negro MEXICO
10. De Arbol MEXICO
11. Gochu KOREA
12. Jalapeno 1 
13. Jalapeno 2
14. Jalapeno 3
15. Jalapeno 4

Frutescens
1. Indiana Pequin USA
2. Thai Bird’s Eye THAILAND
3. Pi281353 MARIANA ISLANDS
4. Spicegeist’s Frutescens USA
5. Lotah Bih INDIA

Wild
1. Cumari Verdadeira (Capsicum praetermissum) BRAZIL
2. Capsicum galapagoense GALAPAGOS
3. Ulupica (Capsicum cardenasii) BOLIVIA/PERU
4. Capsicum flexuosum PARAGUAY/BRAZIL/ARGENTINA
5. Capsicum tovarii PERU
6. Capsicum lanceolatum GUATEMALA/MEXICO/HONDURAS
7. Capsicum eximium ARGENTINA/BOLIVIA

Pubescens
1. Giant Mexican Rocoto MEXICO

Also hope to overwinter a few varieties. Quite chinense-heavy this year. Also a lot of Brazilian varieties.

Thanks to all those who sent seeds to me. It is much appreciated, and is what makes these forums great!

stickman said:
Woo-hoo! ... and so it begins... :)  Good luck with your 2015 season Ronan... I'll be starting mine in a few weeks too.

Thanks! Best of luck for 2015!
Been slacking with my updates.

I culled some of my overwinters. The unlabelled are gone. These are the varieties that will be kept, for now:

MOA (Year 2)

CARDI YELLOW (Year 3)

Flexuosum (Year 3)

Eastern Travis County Tepin (Year 4)

Guampinho de Veado (Year 2)

Trepadeira de Werner (Year 2)

Peito de Moca (Year 3)

Beni Market (Year 2)

Yellow Fire (Year 2)

Heart Throb (Year 2) This was left in the Passive Hydro Hempy Bucket (Perlite) Pot. Has only received what residual nutrients were in the perlite since last October. Very little water either. Have potted it on to a soil pot and seems to be OK for now. 

ronniedeb said:

Thanks! Best of luck for 2015!
Been slacking with my updates.

I culled some of my overwinters. The unlabelled are gone. These are the varieties that will be kept, for now:

MOA (Year 2)

CARDI YELLOW (Year 3)

Flexuosum (Year 3)

Eastern Travis County Tepin (Year 4)

Guampinho de Veado (Year 2)

Trepadeira de Werner (Year 2)

Peito de Moca (Year 3)

Beni Market (Year 2)

Yellow Fire (Year 2)

Heart Throb (Year 2) This was left in the Passive Hydro Hempy Bucket (Perlite) Pot. Has only received what residual nutrients were in the perlite since last October. Very little water either. Have potted it on to a soil pot and seems to be OK for now. 

Nice strong-looking overwinter plants Ronan, good on ya! When will you be starting your seeds?

Hi Ronan, just thought you'd like to know that I planted the CAP 267 and El Oro de Ecuador seeds you sent and both are currently sprouting! Thanks again for your generosity my friend! :dance:

stickman said:

Nice strong-looking overwinter plants Ronan, good on ya! When will you be starting your seeds?
Hey Rick. Thanks. I started my seeds in mid January. Some pics to follow:
First, some more overwinters:
Habanero Brown Large (Year 2)

Cap 267 (Year 2, or 3??)

Madre Vieja (Year 3)

Lemon Drop (Year 3) Hope this makes it. Not looking the healthiest, but the stem on the plant is massive.

My rockwool hydro destined plants 

Got a couple of new fans for the tent. They are by Hortiline, only 5w, are designed for grow tents, and are said to last longer than your regular fan. We'll see.

Onions from seed this year.

Some of my soil plants potted on.

Overwintered Flexuosum with buds. But it's still the Lonesome George of the chilli world since none of my 2015 seeds have germinated yet. 

very nice work on the OW, makes me rethink my opinion that they just aren't worth the effort.  The smaller footprint in the small containers is a big plus, excited to see how well they produce the second year.  Thanks for the pictures, may you have a bountiful 2015!

Ronan plants looking great ... mentioned on Rick's grow log just how large El Oro can grow if you remember mine was nearly five foot high ... hope my "Borg 9" doesn't get that big ...

ribbedturtleneck said:
Those are some big trunks in little pots. Awesome to see the overwinters doing well.
Thanks! It's a matter of keeping the best ones now. Only have room for 6-8.

Devv said:
Most excellent looking OW's!

Good luck this year ;)
Thanks Devv. And to you!

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
very nice work on the OW, makes me rethink my opinion that they just aren't worth the effort.  The smaller footprint in the small containers is a big plus, excited to see how well they produce the second year.  Thanks for the pictures, may you have a bountiful 2015!
Thanks! Same to you!

twilliams386 said:
Those OWs are amazing! How do you do it? I imagine a lot of root pruning would have to be done. Or are these hydros?
Thanks. They are a mix of soil and hydro, though the hydro ones are never as succesful. In early December, I give the plants a good prune, stems and roots. I then give them an opportunity to regrow a little, by putting them under propagation lights for a few hours a day, for a couple of weeks. Then onto the windowsill for natural light in the New Year. 

Trident chilli said:
Ronan plants looking great ... mentioned on Rick's grow log just how large El Oro can grow if you remember mine was nearly five foot high ... hope my "Borg 9" doesn't get that big ...

Thanks John. I never got to see the full height of the El Oro, as it only had 2-4 foot of growing space in the Ebb. Great producer though. I hope your Borg 9 does get that big!!! :party:

PaulS said:
That is one chunky stem!
OW's look really fantastic

Thanks Paul. This will be the 3rd year for that Lemon Drop. I let it dry out after being away for a few days, but looks to have recovered.

I have a bit of a lag here because of the 10 photo limit, so these photos are a couple weeks old
Rockwool plants having put some nice roots down. Nice growth in a week too.

Feb 05

Feb 12

Annuums and Tomatoes gone in propagators:

I have Galapagoense germinated! :P 

and Tovari:

Wow, Ronan, you've got some kick-a** things  going here.  You seem to have the OW process down to an art form.

Sawyer said:
Wow, Ronan, you've got some kick-a** things  going here.  You seem to have the OW process down to an art form.

Thanks Sawyer. I think the little bit of light after the initial pruning helps them get some roots going to fill the new pots and last the winter. That said, I went over to my mothers today and she just leaves them in their pots unpruned on the windowsill and picks chillis through the winter.  :rolleyes:

Nice wild varieties you started Ronan! I'm taking a stab at a C. Chacoense variety this year too. Lovin' the first-round starts! They're gonna run on rails when you finally put them out in the spring. Cheers!

Noah Yates said:
Now those are some tree trunks!

Thanks Noah, hope they survive. Not in the clear yet. 

stickman said:
Nice wild varieties you started Ronan! I'm taking a stab at a C. Chacoense variety this year too. Lovin' the first-round starts! They're gonna run on rails when you finally put them out in the spring. Cheers!

Thanks Rick. Not had great germination with the wilds, and when I did get a Flexuosum and Tovari 2 weeks ago, they dried out after I was away for a few days.  :cry:
Best of luck with the Chacoense. I have one left out in the greenhouse all winter. Doesn't look too dead yet. Hopefully it will make it. 
Small update on those plants I rescued from the Allotment Communal Tunnel back in January

I didnt prune stems or roots on these at all.

Rhomboideum growing again.

Oodham Chiltepin too.

Even has a dried up unripe pod from last year still attached.

CGN24333 is not doing so well.

Windowsill is filling up.

Flexuosum flowers

Back