• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

ronniedeb's 2015 season

Well my list gets bigger year on year. 

Chinense
1. CGN21566 BRAZIL
2. CGN21500 BRAZIL
3. Tobago Sweet TOBAGO
4. Scotch Brain USA
5. Bahamian Goat BAHAMAS
6. Fatalii CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
7. Cumari du Para BRAZIL
8. PI257176 PERU
9. Pickersgill Orange BRAZIL
10. Tucurrique Yellow COSTA RICA
11. Puerto Rican Yellow PUERTA RICO
12. Belize Scotch Bonnet BELIZE
13. Mako Akokosrade GHANA
14. Coyote Zan White BRAZIL
15. UBSC Brown USA
16. Bhut Orange Copenhagen DENMARK
17. PI281317 TRINIDAD
18. Guwahati Bhut INDIA
19. Pimenta Puma ITALY
20. Cajamarca PERU
21. Morango BRAZIL
22. Pimenta Bico BRAZIL
23. Pimenta Tekila BRAZIL
24. Pimenta Ouro BRAZIL
25. Pimenta Salar BRAZIL
26. CAP691 UNKNOWN
27. Elysium Oxide Bonnet USA
28. Pimenta Lisa NETHERLANDS
29. Brown Egg CGN22856 NETHERLANDS/BOLIVIA

Baccatum
1. Pimenta Barra Ribeiro BRAZIL
2. Aji Norteno PERU
3. Aji Verde PERU
4. Aji Cristal CHILE
5. PI 199506 Guyana GUYANA
6. Aji Fantasy FINLAND
7. CGN22871 UNKNOWN

Annuum
1. Kapia Pepper HUNGARY
2. Fiesta F1 Pepper ??
3. Aconcagua ARGENTINA
4. Poblano MEXICO
5. Amish Bush USA
6. CAP253 UNKNOWN
7. CAP1473 UNKNOWN
8. Donne Sali GUAM
9. Chihuacle Negro MEXICO
10. De Arbol MEXICO
11. Gochu KOREA
12. Jalapeno 1 
13. Jalapeno 2
14. Jalapeno 3
15. Jalapeno 4

Frutescens
1. Indiana Pequin USA
2. Thai Bird’s Eye THAILAND
3. Pi281353 MARIANA ISLANDS
4. Spicegeist’s Frutescens USA
5. Lotah Bih INDIA

Wild
1. Cumari Verdadeira (Capsicum praetermissum) BRAZIL
2. Capsicum galapagoense GALAPAGOS
3. Ulupica (Capsicum cardenasii) BOLIVIA/PERU
4. Capsicum flexuosum PARAGUAY/BRAZIL/ARGENTINA
5. Capsicum tovarii PERU
6. Capsicum lanceolatum GUATEMALA/MEXICO/HONDURAS
7. Capsicum eximium ARGENTINA/BOLIVIA

Pubescens
1. Giant Mexican Rocoto MEXICO

Also hope to overwinter a few varieties. Quite chinense-heavy this year. Also a lot of Brazilian varieties.

Thanks to all those who sent seeds to me. It is much appreciated, and is what makes these forums great!

Got a bit impatient with this Pimenta Lisa pod. It set back in early May. Seemed to have stopped growing by the start of June, and still hadnt ripened last week. Thought maybe it's the bad weather, or maybe its not going to change colour when it ripens. Think PdeNeyde is a parent, is that right Stefan?. Anyway, it had a mild flavour and heat, so maybe wasnt ripe.  :rolleyes:

Aji Norteno

Cajamarca

Blondie, small pods, but they were drying a little on the plant, so guessed they were ripe. 

The Mako Akokosrade pods are not getting any bigger than this, despite the plant being a bit of a beast. I dont know if they are meant to be much bigger. 

A pupated hoverfly larvae. They really do a great job keeping aphid population down. 

Nice update Ronan ... hopefully the weather will improve and you get a spell of sunshine ... poor old West of Ireland seems to be under a constant rain cloud ...

Lovely looking pods especially the Pimenta Lisa

Trident chilli said:
Nice update Ronan ... hopefully the weather will improve and you get a spell of sunshine ... poor old West of Ireland seems to be under a constant rain cloud ...

Lovely looking pods especially the Pimenta Lisa
Cheers John. It's been a particularly bad summer so far. The rest of the country seems to have faired a bit better,  but a seemingly constant band of cloud stretching down the west coast and a lot of sea fog too. Been hearing you guys across the Irish Sea have had some good spells. August will be fine.......I hope!

Nice pods. In Finland we´ve had as lousy weather as you. It´s fine to have something ripe in these conditions.
Cajamarca looks a bit weird, to my eye it is too evenly formed. How is the taste? Here´s a pic of mine from 2012;

cajamarca.jpg

Bluesman said:
 Nice pods. In Finland we´ve had as lousy weather as you. It´s fine to have something ripe in these conditions.
Cajamarca looks a bit weird, to my eye it is too evenly formed. How is the taste? Here´s a pic of mine from 2012;

cajamarca.jpg

Thanks Rauno. Yeah. Mine looks totally different to that and the one on Fatalii's website. More like these ones:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/35047-shloggs-pod-pics/
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/22841-cajamarca-question/

http://www.simpsonsseeds.co.uk/acatalog/Chilli_Pepper_Seeds.html
https://www.chileplants.com/search.aspx?ProductCode=CHICAJ

Pimenta de Neyde is one of its parents, Ronan but that pod doesn't look ripe yet. They do take a while to ripen, but if it set early May... think you were close to ripening of. Are all the pods shaped like that? Looks like it reverted back to the mothershape :) The summer is pretty awful here to, the temp drops are so big its really effecting a lot of my grow like the peppers and tomatoes.

meatfreak said:
Pimenta de Neyde is one of its parents, Ronan but that pod doesn't look ripe yet. They do take a while to ripen, but if it set early May... think you were close to ripening of. Are all the pods shaped like that? Looks like it reverted back to the mothershape :) The summer is pretty awful here to, the temp drops are so big its really effecting a lot of my grow like the peppers and tomatoes.

Thanks Stefan. Wow, they take a while to ripen. Maybe the next bunch of pods will ripen faster. It has been cold recently, which may have affected ripening. The next bunch of pods arent quite as uniformly shaped. I'll take a photo when they get to a decent size. 

ronniedeb said:

Thanks Stefan. Wow, they take a while to ripen. Maybe the next bunch of pods will ripen faster. It has been cold recently, which may have affected ripening. The next bunch of pods arent quite as uniformly shaped. I'll take a photo when they get to a decent size. 

Yeah pods ripen slower when its colder. You see it often when its end of season, pods take longer to ripen then they did during the summer.

I've been neglectful of the forum recently, people's growlogs, including my own. Finding it hard to be enthusiastic about this dire season.   :cry:
After the brutal June, I was hoping July would save my season, but it was the wettest July on record and the coldest July in 40 years.
There was frost on high ground here (In July!!). I measured a low temp of 5 degrees one night in the middle of the month. Average temp for the month has been in the mid teens in most of the west of Ireland. To top it off, August has continued on in this vein. Last two nights we had 100km gales. 

On a positive note, I did manage to get myself away to Spain for a week at the end of July. It was just a shame I couldnt bring my greenhouse with me. 

Scotchbrain has set some pods. 

I managed to move the Cumari du Para from the Ebb into a hempy Bucket. Seems like it survived the move. 

Aji Norteno

Some Jalapenos. Many were taken by slugs while I was away. 

CGN21566 continues to produce. Probably my best chinense this season, though pales in comparison to plants from other seasons. My list was quite chinense heavy this year, which retrospectively was a mistake. The Baccatums do much better in the low light conditions we've had. 

FreeportBum said:
how is the flavor and heat of the CGN21566 ? I have one plant that is gorgeous but the pods are still unripe.
Hey FreeportBum. They are much hotter than I expected anyway, and a little out of my comfort zone (hab and bonnet heat). Nevertheless, I just ate some more so I could accurately describe it to you! :lol: 
Must be heading towards the half million, heat wise. The fruity yellow chinense type flavour is there for sure, but there is a little more earthiness in the background as well. Aroma is good as well, but not as pronounced as yellow bonnets or caribbean yellow pods. I would grow them again, for sure. 
Some more photos: 
Pimenta Puma

Belize Scotch Bonnet

Mako Akokosrade pods are really nice. Manageable heat and really juicy. They almost disintegrate in your mouth like a berry. 

UBSC Brown is making bigger pods now. Not looking like it should, but nice pods all the same. 

Tobago Sweet is ripening some pods. Havent tried these yet.

CAP1473 (Capsicum annuum). Nothing to write home about. 

2nd Year Trepadeira de Werner is starting to slowly ripen some pods. It's carrying a lot of unripe pods and is a nice size. I'd love to see what it could do in a good season. Pods are also bigger than last year, and more teardrop shaped. 

ronniedeb said:

Hey FreeportBum. They are much hotter than I expected anyway, and a little out of my comfort zone (hab and bonnet heat). Nevertheless, I just ate some more so I could accurately describe it to you! :lol:
Must be heading towards the half million, heat wise. The fruity yellow chinense type flavour is there for sure, but there is a little more earthiness in the background as well. Aroma is good as well, but not as pronounced as yellow bonnets or caribbean yellow pods. I would grow them again, for sure. 
Some more photos: 
Pimenta Puma

Belize Scotch Bonnet

Mako Akokosrade pods are really nice. Manageable heat and really juicy. They almost disintegrate in your mouth like a berry. 

UBSC Brown is making bigger pods now. Not looking like it should, but nice pods all the same. 

Tobago Sweet is ripening some pods. Havent tried these yet.

CAP1473 (Capsicum annuum). Nothing to write home about. 

2nd Year Trepadeira de Werner is starting to slowly ripen some pods. It's carrying a lot of unripe pods and is a nice size. I'd love to see what it could do in a good season. Pods are also bigger than last year, and more teardrop shaped. 

Pods look great, and thanks for the review of the cgn21566

Man! What a drag that you're having such a cool summer Ronan! It's cooler than normal here too, but nowhere near as bad. At least you're getting some ripe pods with decent heat. As PaulG says... "Every pod is a victory!", and you've pulled off some good ones in the face of determined opposition. :dance:

In the end, my Mako Akokrosade pods have to be a cross of some sort. They're longer and crisper than yours. They have a nice mild habanero citrus-y flavor and go well in salsa. Have you grown Scotch Bonnets before? Yours are looking good, as are the Annuums and Baccatums.

Cheers!

Well progress is still pathetically slow. Nights have got cool now. Think I'll put the light in for a few hours in the evening next week. Try to get some ripening and pod growth going. 

My first ever ripe Fatalii

CGN21566. Best chinense producer for me this year. Thick with fruit. 

Guyana PI199506

Just waiting for these UBSC Brown pods to ripen. 

Beautiful flowers on the Pimenta Lisa

Pods growing in the shade of a leaf are paler coloured

Hope my Aji Fantasy sets some more pods. Only a dozen or so harvested so far. 

FreeportBum said:
Pods look great, and thanks for the review of the cgn21566
Thanks FreeportBurn!
stickman said:
Man! What a drag that you're having such a cool summer Ronan! It's cooler than normal here too, but nowhere near as bad. At least you're getting some ripe pods with decent heat. As PaulG says... "Every pod is a victory!", and you've pulled off some good ones in the face of determined opposition. :dance:

In the end, my Mako Akokrosade pods have to be a cross of some sort. They're longer and crisper than yours. They have a nice mild habanero citrus-y flavor and go well in salsa. Have you grown Scotch Bonnets before? Yours are looking good, as are the Annuums and Baccatums.

Cheers!
Cheers Rick. Yeah. I have enough pods to keep myself going for sure. Yeah, I grew MOA Bonnets last year. They were great. These Belize ones are decent too!

Hey dude,
I'm having an awful season too, summer has been rubbish here too.
In june I thought maybe july will be better, in july maybe august and now I'm hoping we will have a good sept!
So british complaining about the weather! haha. Good to here you got some sun abroad.
It looks like you've had a few handfuls of pods.
What's your favorite so far this season?

PaulS said:
Hey dude,
I'm having an awful season too, summer has been rubbish here too.
In june I thought maybe july will be better, in july maybe august and now I'm hoping we will have a good sept!
So british complaining about the weather! haha. Good to here you got some sun abroad.
It looks like you've had a few handfuls of pods.
What's your favorite so far this season?
There's always next year!! Of the new varieties, I like the Cumari du Para a lot. Tiny pods. Only had a handful so far in dribs and drabs, but there are a lot of green pods on the plant. The Mako AKokosrade is really nice as well. 

Back