• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SadisticPepper's (aka Elcap1999's) 2013/2014/2015 Oceanside glog update

Unfortunately, about half of the trays I had set up got shriveled up on account of a nasty wind storm drying them out. Oddly enough all the plants I had potted up already made it through without a problem, so I've spent the last couple of days redoing the ones I had seeds for, and the ones I didn't I just swapped them out with ones I recently got from PepperLover. Here's a couple pics:

Here's the trays I set out yesterday and today
IMG_5996-vi.jpg

On the left (going top to bottom, I have Red Brain strains, Red Morugas and Yellow Morugas. The middle group is Chocolate Morugas, Red Bhuts and White Bhuts, and on the right is Purple Bhuts on one half, and orange bhuts on the other half of the first tray, and Red Butch T's on the 2nd tray

Here's a little color coded legend I put together to keep them all straight. The color for the chocolate moruga didn't quite come out too well in the printer.
IMG_5997-vi.jpg

Indeed :) Granted, $125 for a 5-gallon bucket may seem like a lot, but when you consider the explosive output of the plants, and how much you'll be making, it's well worth the price! :)

elcap1999 said:
Indeed :) Granted, $125 for a 5-gallon bucket may seem like a lot, but when you consider the explosive output of the plants, and how much you'll be making, it's well worth the price! :)
It may seem like a lot. But when I consider what I used to spend on a Friday night back in the day. $25 a gallon isn't bad.

Exactly! :)

And between this liquid gold and worm castings, I'll be able to have them fertilized up the wazoo! lol With the 2-gallon fert reservoir I'll have for my main garden area, the reservoir will easily last a whole month, if not longer!

LOL, thanks OCD! Well, my yellow Morugas have been pushing out peppers for the last month, which is awesome! 9 boxes' worth of pods and counting sold thus far, which is far more than I could have hoped, especially seeing as these 20 or so plants have only been pushing out pods for 3+ weeks is quite a bit :)

I've also got a bunch of seedlings ready to go. I don't have enough Chocolate Morugas and Butch T's but plenty of Red & White Bhut's and 7Pots to fill out my backyard area. I'll be pulling the trigger on 5-gallon buckets, soil, and the drip irrigation setup in the next couple weeks. I'll likely have to do another tray of the Choc. Morugas and Butch T's to fill out what I have, and should see my first pods from them in the July timeframe if the timeline holds to how my Yellow Morugas developed.

Oh yes, and I'll also be pulling the trigger on the LLC within the next few weeks :)

That's fantastic. I wish I could have purchased a box but had some unexpected things come up. Things are better now. Can't wait for some Chocolate Morugas and Butch T's. Great news on the LLC. Good to here everything is doing well.

It happens! And I can't wait either to get the rest of my peppers going :)

Well, kids, I've officially pulled the trigger and paid for an LLC filing thru LegalZoom. They'll be spending the week or so making all the necessary filings with Uncle Sam, as well as all the necessary state, county & local filings. Once I get my EIN in a few weeks, I'll get a separate bank account to officially keep my personal finances separate from the pepper stuff.

I'll also be ordering the remaining things I'll need to finish out the backyard area!

OCD Chilehead said:
That's fantastic news. Everyone has to start some where. Your walking the talk. Can't wait to see the system up and going. Thanks for sharing and good luck.

Thanks, OCD! With any luck, by year's end I'll be swimming in peppers :)

Finally got around to ordering the last parts I'd need to assemble the drip irrigation system in my backyard area, and once I get it'll I'll begin converting it over in earnest.

I also ordered a tiller, since it seems the grass did a number on the blacktop fabric I layed down, essentially growing so much, it forced the spikes/staples I put in out in most spots. So I'll till it all under, then redo the fabric :)

Oh yes, and I also ordered 3000 live ladybugs to take care of the weevil infestation I have in my current Moruga plants.

I'll see about taking pictures of it when I'm close to done. The biggest hurdle at this point will be the soil, since I'm gonna need about 120 bags. That will likely mean I'll have to rent a truck or one of those small vans from uHaul for several trips over a couple days, seeing as they don't deliver, and storing bulk soil will be problematic...

Ordered another 5 gallon bucket of the fish/seaweed fert I've been using on my peppers. I still have enough in my first purchase of it for a while, but still, it'd be nice to have another bucket, just in case :)

I also got most of the drip irrigation equipment I'll need to do up my backyard. I tried to till the backyard with the new tiller I got from Home Depot, but I found out the hard way that it doesn't like tall grass, since it was punching holes and tearing up the blacktop fabric I laid down a while back. When the landscaper comes in next time, I'll ask him to cut that area as low as possible so I can till it over, stamp it all down, the redo the fabric, etc. Last thing I'll need will be the soil :)

However, this weekend though, I'll be going to Disney World to celebrate, and also because going there fro a few days always seems to be a good luck charm as far as the peppers go. 

elcap1999 said:
I'll see about taking pictures of it when I'm close to done. The biggest hurdle at this point will be the soil, since I'm gonna need about 120 bags. That will likely mean I'll have to rent a truck or one of those small vans from uHaul for several trips over a couple days, seeing as they don't deliver, and storing bulk soil will be problematic...
I may have missed something, if so, sorry, but Is there no way to order a few yards of potting soil from a nursery or something, so you do not have to use bagged soil? If not don't forget to check prices for truck rentals at homedepot, it might be cheaper than Uhaul.

spysee said:
I may have missed something, if so, sorry, but Is there no way to order a few yards of potting soil from a nursery or something, so you do not have to use bagged soil? If not don't forget to check prices for truck rentals at homedepot, it might be cheaper than Uhaul.

I'm still looking into it, but I've mainly been using bags for convenience's sake. That, and I can get the bags for $1.49 a bag :) Oh, and I'm still scratching my head, wondering where to put bulk topsoil, since I'd need roughly 5 cubic feet...

Ahh ok, that is a hell of a good deal. Every bag I've got this year has been 10-12 bucks :(  Definitely going to put some consideration time into learning to make my own next year!

Yeah, it's basic & cheap and it doesn't have any additions to it, so I can better control what nutes I put into it, etc.Plus, it works out perfectly that each of the Home Depot buckets I have requires exactly one bag of this soil, so there's no need for measuring :)

Back