• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Salsa help PLEASE

I am making a case of salsa in the next day or two and all I have for acid is 1/2 cup of apple cidar vinegar is that going to be enough after a 15 min water bath to keep them safe. If I add much more acid it ofsets the the other flavors this is a very delicate salsa and I do not want to have it go bad due to not having enough acid any ideas?;)

waht is the total volume you are making?

I really doubt if 1/2 cup is enough to get your pH down low enough to keep it from spoiling....you can use lemon juice but you have to watch your pH if your sauce is not pressure canned...hot water bath canning will not kill clostridium botulinum and that is your enemy....you probably need your pH below 4.2...some say even lower

If you are water bath canning 1/4 cup is not enough to bring the acid to where it needs to be...I'd be worried about safety and botulism.

1/4 cup = 2 ounces....I made sauce yesterday...used 12 ounces vinegar and 8 ounces lime juice to get 9 woozies (5oz), so that is a little over 2oz per 5 oz or ~40%...pH was 3.4 so this stuff should have good shelf life...I am sure some of the water in the lime juice and vinegar cooked off and made it more acidic....

pepperfever said:
If you are water bath canning 1/4 cup is not enough to bring the acid to where it needs to be...I'd be worried about safety and botulism.

It is half a cup not a 1/4 cup if that matters

have you got a pH meter or someway to check the pH?...1/2 cup = 4 oz, 1 pt = 16 oz so you are at 25% vinegar and getting close...you want your pH less than 4.6...some say even less than 4.2 or lower...

Thanks guys for all your help the deed is done and it is not gonna work the whole heating it up thing made it way to soft this is a fresh salsa only deal the fruit just can't take the heat. Plus do not have a pH meter at this time will be getting one soon.

Back