labels Sam & Oliver Stoke chipotle adobo sauce label critique

Looking for critique and feedback for my 2nd line of sauces being produced very soon... Stoke Chipotle adobo sauce

After crowd sourcing the first 2 names in a contest, I had to settle on Stoke since Smokin' and Ember were both taken... so Stoke it is.

stoke1.png

The bottle layout is for a 5oz glass woozy, black top with black shrink band.  The designer and I thought we should keep the same motif and layout design, with Stoke's heat ringing in at a medium level on the heat index.  It will look similar to this, printed on a 3.25 x 5.5" rounded-corner rectangular label in gloss with over-laminate

sam bottle.jpg

Thoughts on the design?

Here's Cinder for reference:

cinder1.png

Edit: now with less "WTF happened?" on the cinder label

Sam & Oliver said:
How about Luckily Duckily-Dog Sangria Del Sparrow?   :rofl:

Have at it. Very catchy. 
:rolleyes: 

lol 

On a more serious note, Chipotle is fair game. There are dozens of excellent chipotle sauces - you can use "chipotle" as a descriptor, and you can say "what's Chi'dobo? A flavorful Chipotle adobo sauce" - that is not contestable to my knowledge (note: I have not done the research to determine if anyone has TM'd "Chi'dobo" or "Chipotle adobo" - do your own due diligence here as you're the one responsible for it)  - but if they are not TM'd, you can describe your Chipotle sauce as anything you want EXCEPT "smoky", "smokey", "smoaky", "smooooky",. etc. 

I've heard that the words "smokey chipotle" can be used in the romance panel, just not in the product name.  But don't take my word for it.  Avoid the headache and say " the smokey flavor of chipotle chiles..."

PS- every time I look at the hot sauce section of our market, I laugh at all the products that are Smokey Chipotle.....Guess ol' Chucky just doesn't have time to travel all around looking for violators.  What a TOOL!  I think that horse done left the barn a looong time ago. 

salsalady said:
I've heard that the words "smokey chipotle" can be used in the romance panel, just not in the product name.  But don't take my word for it.  Avoid the headache and say " the smokey flavor of chipotle chiles..."

Yeah - why risk it. I agree. 
Sam & Oliver said:
lol, uh.  honestly I had no idea it was a reference to a popular recreational activity

(is that bad?)

In CA, where I'm 99.999% sure the expression originated in the 80s, the meaning is simply "to be excited about something" - "dude, I'm super stoked to be going to the mall with Becky."

I'm not sure what other connotations or interpretations have developed since, but there's nothing wrong with "stoked" in either figurative or literal interpretation. 

salsalady said:
actually, I was looking at the romance panel spelling.  I know all versions of chili/chile/chilli are acceptable around the world, but for most people in the US, chili is a soup, chile is a pepper, and chilli is everywhere else in the world.  :lol:

Red Hot Chili Peppers... pop culture says otherwise.

Chili's restaurant... the US pop knows it well.

Chili powder... found in every American supermarket. Not chile powder.

I have to disagree SL. Chile is a country and pronounced Chee-lay. As pepper lovers and growers and sauciers here, we use the term because we know a lot about peppers and where they come from. And most are from Spanish speaking countries. But the US pop, as you say, certainly knows what a chili pepper is.

Yes, chili is a dish with chili peppers so the word can confuse, but not when in the correct context. HOWEVER...

I prefer hot pepper to avoid all ambiguity, which I why I named this place so!!!!! :D

So I agree about putting pepper. So we agree, no Coke/pop debate needed LOL. :rofl:

The Hot Pepper said:

I prefer hot pepper to avoid all ambiguity, which I why I named this place so!!!!! :D

So I agree about putting pepper. So we agree, no Coke/pop debate needed LOL. :rofl:
WE AGREE!!!!  :woot:  I figured I'd better quote that in case the Boss realized what he'd done and changed the post.  :rofl:

BA-HAHAHAHA! Yeah... I'd like to see

Chipotle peppers or even just Chiptoles.

Chilies is correct English but I don't like the plural either.

well, we MOSTLY agree....

Supermarket Chili Powder is a blend of ground chiles and other spices, often used when making that tomato/meat/beans soup thing.

despite all this fun, I gotta go get produce to make some salsa.   (uugh!)   There ain't no "doin' what you love" for that any more.  It's only about the $.

Laterz~

edit- :lol:  Fortunate Canines!  :rolleyes:

salsalady said:
well, we MOSTLY agree....

Supermarket Chili Powder is a blend of ground chiles and other spices, often used when making that tomato/meat/beans soup thing.

LOL no it's chili powder. Ground chilies. I guess there is ambiguity, even in the spice aisle!

You are thinking of those spice packets you tear open called chili seasoning. Chili powder is chili powder, made for anything you want. It can be used in chili the meal of course. Some is all chilies, some has spices. They are all different. 

The Hot Pepper said:

LOL no it's chili powder. Ground chilies. I guess there is ambiguity, even in the spice aisle!

You are thinking of those spice packets you tear open called chili seasoning. Chili powder is chili powder, made for anything you want. Some is all chilies, some has spices. They are all different. 

You're both right. Two different products, both called "chili powder".   One is 100% dried peppers, the other is "chili seasoning" but I've seen both called chili powder. 

Scott is right though, and Montezuma kind of 'has to' go after people who potentially threaten their copyright/trademark.

Read an interview a year or so back, with I think a guy from the band, Twisted Sister. Forgive me if the details are off...

Some little alternative hair cut shop, called themselves 'twizted sizters' or something like that....they got sued by twisted sister for trademark infringement and confusion in the market place, yadda yadda....

now in reality, nobody is gonna confuse the 80's metal band with a little hair salon...

but , I think it was JJ French, who said something to the effect..."we don't want to sue them. we know their won't be any confusion in the marketplace. but if we don't protect our trademark and go after anyone who is close to infringing on it, then it sets a precedent in court.... than anyone else who attempts to do it, can argue...well the band didn't sue 'these guys', why are they going after me??   so, the band is forced to seek out and eliminate companies big and/or small.

something like that......best not to be put in that position at all!

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
You're both right. Two different products, both called "chili powder".   One is 100% dried peppers, the other is "chili seasoning" but I've seen both called chili powder.
Bingo!

And thanks. SL and I can carry on all day.

Chili powder means powder of chili. Usually if it is for making a dish it will be called seasoning, not powder. Like milk powder. Powder of milk, not for milk.

To add to this, you know chili "the meal" is spelled chile is Spanish countries right? Because both are named for the hot peppers used in it, in their respective language. So they have ambiguity too!

"Would you like some chile?"

And it's a bowl of delicious tomatillo chile.

Everyone's RIGHT HERE! :D

Can't believe you've never heard the term stoked!

It's kinda surfer/skater 80s/90s but it was pretty mainstream... basically saying you are super excited about something.

I understand the adobo sauce is blended in there, but "Stoke Chipotle Adobo Sauce" is being a bit too literal, and it makes it awkward. Just call it chiptole sauce.

Like, if I use pickled jalapenos in my sauce I wouldn't say "Stoke Jalapeno Vinegar Sauce." Oh, I used the pickled ones, I better put that in the name. No.

Or anything already prepared you use. No need to point out a prepared ingredient anyway.

Choose Chipotle Sauce or Adobo Sauce and let them read chipoltes in the ingredients. Or word it differently and use the layout to your advantage so adobo is not "technically" part of the name, something like:

stoke.png

Back