• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Samcanadian's Great White North Glog, 2014

I figured I'd put as much information I can find in this thread, not only to make it easier for others to help me...but to maybe help other growers who are at the noob stage like I'm at.  (Maybe I'll ask some of the dumb questions so they don't have to!)

This year I'm growing Serranos, Habaneros and Jalapenos...having started them all indoors under fluorescent lights on February 28th.  Rather than bore everyone with pictures they've seen a million times of the seeding process, I decided to opt against posting them and just instead mention that I got WAY more seeds sprouting than I had allowed for and was dealing with multiple plants in each little Peat Pot we'd planted them in.

At about two months we transplanted the sprouts into Red Solo cups, and next year we will likely skip this step and plant them directly in the solo cups to begin with.  It was just too much trouble to split up all the little peat pot sprouts and replant them individually without harming them, and if I could do it again I'd get a seedling tray and transplant into Red Solo cups from there.

IMAG2956_zpsa708afa2.jpg

Now, it's past last frost for my area (Winnipeg, Canada) so the wife and I were busy in the garden this weekend...planting our crops for the upcoming year and filling pots with potting soil and peppers.  The Wife bought a generic brand of organic potting soil from Costco for $10/85l bag and we figured it was a good price for our area.  We also bought 16 cheap pots from the Dollar Store and figured our first try at this would be in an ultra-cost effective manner...just to see how much it really costs to produce peppers.

Here's a few pictures taken on May 25th of my babies!  The temperature is steady around 23-25 during the day for the next week so I can expect them to get some decent growing weather without being too hot.  

IMAG3109_zps0034d5b7.jpg

IMAG3110_zps26086c43.jpg

IMAG3111_zpsf62ccfe4.jpg

Here are a few of my concerns with this growing season

1. That the pots aren't big enough:  I hadn't really thought about the size of pot necessary and when I saw these at the Dollar Store I assumed they'd be plenty.  Since the varieties I'm growing don't get too much bigger than 24" (Except the Habs which are estimated to get to 30") I didn't think they'd be too bad...but I'm still a little nervous when I see all these suggestions saying 5 gallon pot MINIMUM.  I'll measure one tonight and see how big it is and update this post with accurate dimensions.

2. The the season won't be long enough:  I just have this nagging worry that I'll have a bunch of unripe green pods on my plants when the weather starts to turn cold.  While I'm sure I'm worrying for nothing, I'd still really hate for this to happen.

3.  I won't know what to do with all these peppers:  Self explanatory!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to keeping this updated with perhaps a once a week update with pictures, etc.  If you've stumbled onto this page, thanks for reading and any advice you have to give!

filmost said:
You won't have 100% pristine lives for the life of your plant. Relax!
Yeah, you're right.  Those spots got pretty wet/curled up with watering and sat on the dirt for a while.  Wonder if maybe that could contribute.

I was just worried it might be some kind of an infection or something.  Oh well, it's warm and sunny out today and I think my plants are going to get a serious boost in the next few days.  

It happens. More often then not it is probably an additional symptom of over/under watering. I just had some leaves drop with the same symptoms on the plants I am growing at my office, they all still look great though nice and vibrant green.

It's easy to stress out, but try not to. Growing is supposed to be fun. :-) Backing off a bit helps a lot and is an exercise in patience lol.

Good luck Sam.

Haven't fertilized at all yet, but I'm thinking it's about time.  My next watering will likely be with fertilizer.

I have some 10-15-10 that I was using when the plants were seedlings...is that all I need for them now, or should I get something different?

hey samcanadian, great looking plants, my Caribbean red habs had a couple leafs do the same thing (spotting and curling) looked just like the one in your pic.and it was for the same reason you mentioned, i watered them and the leaves sat in the dirt for a bit, but they are growing strong and fast, as for the fertilizer i use two, one every other week, one is plant prod ultimate root booster 5-15-5 for the roots then the week after i use miracle grow all purpose 24-8-16 for growth. i have never had a problem in the 15 years or so ive been growing hot peppers, also as for your lighting, all pepper plants love the sun, and love the heat, warm feet (roots) means a happy pepper plant, they need as much sun as you can give them, specially up here in canada. i have had my peper plants in 24/7 lighting for the first 8 weeks, then when i finally moved them outside last week i made sure they had sun from the time it rose until the time it sets. i have ghost, caribbean red habs, ring of fire, Thai hots, scotch bonnet, and hoping my hp22b (carolina reapers) pop soon.  anyway the thai hots and the ring of fire have started to produce flowers, the rest of them except the ghost peppers will be producing flowers soon as well.  anyway this is all just my two cents and in no way am i claiming to be a pro or anything, just my experiences with hot peppers, also if you are interested i can tell you what soil mix i use for my peppers

magipepper said:
hey samcanadian, great looking plants, my Caribbean red habs had a couple leafs do the same thing (spotting and curling) looked just like the one in your pic.and it was for the same reason you mentioned, i watered them and the leaves sat in the dirt for a bit, but they are growing strong and fast, as for the fertilizer i use two, one every other week, one is plant prod ultimate root booster 5-15-5 for the roots then the week after i use miracle grow all purpose 24-8-16 for growth. i have never had a problem in the 15 years or so ive been growing hot peppers, also as for your lighting, all pepper plants love the sun, and love the heat, warm feet (roots) means a happy pepper plant, they need as much sun as you can give them, specially up here in canada. i have had my peper plants in 24/7 lighting for the first 8 weeks, then when i finally moved them outside last week i made sure they had sun from the time it rose until the time it sets. i have ghost, caribbean red habs, ring of fire, Thai hots, scotch bonnet, and hoping my hp22b (carolina reapers) pop soon.  anyway the thai hots and the ring of fire have started to produce flowers, the rest of them except the ghost peppers will be producing flowers soon as well.  anyway this is all just my two cents and in no way am i claiming to be a pro or anything, just my experiences with hot peppers, also if you are interested i can tell you what soil mix i use for my peppers
Awesome, this is the kind of stuff I like to hear.  It would seem that as soon as my potted peppers got some more roots down after being transplanted they started shooting up on top.  My jalapenos have almost caught up to my Serranos in height, and my Habs have a ton of new growth coming out of the lower stalk.  I had pinched some flowers off the serrano several weeks back as they were still pretty spindly, but they're about to push some new ones out any day now.  The rain we've had lately as well as the hot weather has been giving these guys an extra dose of sun/heat so I think they're appreciating it.

glad i could help,  my plants have been loving the heat and rain as well, i topped all my plants to encourage the width of the plant to expand and i am not disappointed, my habs are doing well to, a lot of new growth

"edit, i also trim a lot of the old growth off on just a couple plants to see what would happen, and they have taken all that extra energy and shot up about 4 inches in just a day or two, its a bit scary to do that though lol" 

I've topped only the plants that were "spares" or ones that I haven't transplanted to much bigger pots, just for an experiment.  It didn't take long for them to really start filling out from the bottom and they look like little vertical hedghogs right now with all the new growth...but haven't gotten much taller.  I figure with the short growing season I would just sit tight without topping and see how my primary plants do.  Strangely enough my Habaneros are very thick and bushy from top to bottom, while my serranos and jalapenos took a whike...but have really started to push out nodes further down and to thicken up.

yea i find the habs bush out fast and jalapeno's get real tall and lanky for a bit then start to bush out, every plant grows differently though lol. my habs have not gotten any taller yet but my ring of fire, and thai hots that i topped have gotten taller and bushed out a bit and they are pushing buds, the ghost, scotch bonnets and habs are short and bushy, cant see any buds on them yet but im sure they will soon enough. right now all my plants are in buckets i got from the dollar store haha i was going to buy the planters but seen mop buckets that were bigger and cheaper so i got them, ill be moving the plants inside again at the end of the year, just got to find room for 30 plants or weed some out lol

magipepper said:
yea i find the habs bush out fast and jalapeno's get real tall and lanky for a bit then start to bush out, every plant grows differently though lol. my habs have not gotten any taller yet but my ring of fire, and thai hots that i topped have gotten taller and bushed out a bit and they are pushing buds, the ghost, scotch bonnets and habs are short and bushy, cant see any buds on them yet but im sure they will soon enough. right now all my plants are in buckets i got from the dollar store haha i was going to buy the planters but seen mop buckets that were bigger and cheaper so i got them, ill be moving the plants inside again at the end of the year, just got to find room for 30 plants or weed some out lol
I couldn't believe how expensive planting pots were ($15.00 for a 3-4 gallon bucket at Rona or Home Depot) so when my wife called me about the planters at the Dollar Store for $2.00 each I had to jump on em.  I think they're between 2 and 3 gallons, so they might be on the smaller side...but considering I have 18 peppers growing in them right now it's a nice starting point to determine how big and how well peppers grow in them.

i know, they are way to expensive, the u.s has better prices and more stuff available, looking at the home depot site for canada (homedepot.ca) and compare to the u.s homedepot.com and they have 10 times more stuff and cheaper then we do. but i got the mop buckets for $1.25 each haha drilled some holes for drainage and they are fine, as for size 2 gallon is the smallest you want to grow in and 5 gallon is good if they will be in there for a few years, but the plants will be happy in anything 2 gallons and up, are you going to get rid of the plants at the end of the year or keep them going for a few years? if you keep them until next year or longer then i would put them in a bigger pot but they are fine for the next year or so. no worries

This is my first time ever growing peppers, so I figured after this season I'll have enough knowledge to downsize next year...but grow bigger plants.  I'll likely trash these ones and start new next year, but put them in bigger pots and only have 6-7 plants instead of 18.  I'm guessing I'm going to have more peppers than I know what to do with this year.

...and how big are these mop buckets you're talking about?

Swartmamba said:
Buy your pots online. I paid $65 for 50 10 gallon plastic grow bags. They are not root pouches, but are more than adequate.
That's probably the best idea.  Home Depot, Rona, Canadian Tire etc...they all hammer you for pots any bigger than 2 gallons it seems.  Even the crappy black plastic pots will run you about $11 for a 5 gallon size, it's unreal.

Greetings from another Canadian chilihead.

This is my first year growing peppers as well and I totally understand how panicky you can get when your plants do something odd.

Come home and the dog has eaten half a bag of garbage, don't even flinch. Come home and a leaf has drooped and think "what did I do wrong" lol

I had a heck of a time finding decently priced pots as well. I was able to find mine at a local greenhouse for like 2$ each and the more I bought the cheaper they got lol I think they are 2-3 gallon pots not really too sure.

Here are the exact pots I was able to get.
http://www.myerslawnandgarden.com/ProductCategories/Blow-Molded/Greater-Than-1-Gallon/BM-20000.aspx

Anyway good luck with your grow op ;)

samcanadian said:
That's probably the best idea.  Home Depot, Rona, Canadian Tire etc...they all hammer you for pots any bigger than 2 gallons it seems.  Even the crappy black plastic pots will run you about $11 for a 5 gallon size, it's unreal.
 they do and its not right, the reason for it is because they buy from the u.s.a and re-sell here in canada, our government adds duties and taxes so that $2 pot becomes a $20 pot so they (can tire,home depot, ect...) can make their money, for an example, i went to can tire to get a camshaft for my chevy 350 engine, they wanted $120 for an oem direct replacement, (cheapest i found in canada) i went to summit racing and found the same part for $25, even found a better one at the same price, i bought it, by the time it got to my house with shipping, duties, and taxes i paid $140 for it. that was mostly the duties and taxes in canada

MrBubblehead said:
Greetings from another Canadian chilihead.

This is my first year growing peppers as well and I totally understand how panicky you can get when your plants do something odd.

Come home and the dog has eaten half a bag of garbage, don't even flinch. Come home and a leaf has drooped and think "what did I do wrong" lol

I had a heck of a time finding decently priced pots as well. I was able to find mine at a local greenhouse for like 2$ each and the more I bought the cheaper they got lol I think they are 2-3 gallon pots not really too sure.

Here are the exact pots I was able to get.
http://www.myerslawnandgarden.com/ProductCategories/Blow-Molded/Greater-Than-1-Gallon/BM-20000.aspx

Anyway good luck with your grow op ;)

those pots are 4 1/2 gallons, i have a few of them, they are great.  i have a greenhouse/nursery near me and they dont sell pots sadly, they dont even grow 90% of what they sell, they buy it from a specialty greenhouse and re-sell it. kind of sad.

When I looked up the specs I realised they were bigger tha I thought. So much room for activities and like I said I paid 2$ each for 20 of them :)

Sadly our local green house is the same way. Gore very little of what they sell

they are nice and big, perfect size for most pepper plants to. the green house near me doesnt even sell pots, they cant get them in either, honestly i dont see the point of this place, because everyone they buy from is local, if i buy plants i usually cut them out and go right to their source, its easier faster, and a hell of a lot cheaper lol

Plants are looking fabulous lately. They've been taking off in this slightly cooler weather for some reason. All nice and green and starting to push a ton of growth out.

It's supposed to get cold tonight but not freezing. Hope they make it!!

thats good to hear, my plants have been outside for a little over a week now and the temp has gone down to 7 a few times over night, so far so good, today it hit 33 out and plants are in full sun just loving it. the weather has been going from one extreme to the next lately around this part of canada. but your plants should be fine

i'm in the middle of the city and they're on a sheltered deck next to the house.  I'm thinking the residual heat from the day + the warm soil + the heat from the house/deck should probably give them an advantage.

Back