• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Samcanadian's Great White North Glog, 2014

I figured I'd put as much information I can find in this thread, not only to make it easier for others to help me...but to maybe help other growers who are at the noob stage like I'm at.  (Maybe I'll ask some of the dumb questions so they don't have to!)

This year I'm growing Serranos, Habaneros and Jalapenos...having started them all indoors under fluorescent lights on February 28th.  Rather than bore everyone with pictures they've seen a million times of the seeding process, I decided to opt against posting them and just instead mention that I got WAY more seeds sprouting than I had allowed for and was dealing with multiple plants in each little Peat Pot we'd planted them in.

At about two months we transplanted the sprouts into Red Solo cups, and next year we will likely skip this step and plant them directly in the solo cups to begin with.  It was just too much trouble to split up all the little peat pot sprouts and replant them individually without harming them, and if I could do it again I'd get a seedling tray and transplant into Red Solo cups from there.

IMAG2956_zpsa708afa2.jpg

Now, it's past last frost for my area (Winnipeg, Canada) so the wife and I were busy in the garden this weekend...planting our crops for the upcoming year and filling pots with potting soil and peppers.  The Wife bought a generic brand of organic potting soil from Costco for $10/85l bag and we figured it was a good price for our area.  We also bought 16 cheap pots from the Dollar Store and figured our first try at this would be in an ultra-cost effective manner...just to see how much it really costs to produce peppers.

Here's a few pictures taken on May 25th of my babies!  The temperature is steady around 23-25 during the day for the next week so I can expect them to get some decent growing weather without being too hot.  

IMAG3109_zps0034d5b7.jpg

IMAG3110_zps26086c43.jpg

IMAG3111_zpsf62ccfe4.jpg

Here are a few of my concerns with this growing season

1. That the pots aren't big enough:  I hadn't really thought about the size of pot necessary and when I saw these at the Dollar Store I assumed they'd be plenty.  Since the varieties I'm growing don't get too much bigger than 24" (Except the Habs which are estimated to get to 30") I didn't think they'd be too bad...but I'm still a little nervous when I see all these suggestions saying 5 gallon pot MINIMUM.  I'll measure one tonight and see how big it is and update this post with accurate dimensions.

2. The the season won't be long enough:  I just have this nagging worry that I'll have a bunch of unripe green pods on my plants when the weather starts to turn cold.  While I'm sure I'm worrying for nothing, I'd still really hate for this to happen.

3.  I won't know what to do with all these peppers:  Self explanatory!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to keeping this updated with perhaps a once a week update with pictures, etc.  If you've stumbled onto this page, thanks for reading and any advice you have to give!

Wow, just got back from a week and a half in Alaska to see 18 popping pepper plants!

Can anyone tell me what these are?  

Here's my mini bells

IMAG3335_zpsfc465a7e.jpg

IMAG3334_zps967dda34.jpg

And here's my....what?

IMAG3546_zps771c39b7.jpg

And apparently this is a Habanero growing in.

I say apparently because I don't trust any of my plants anymore. 

IMAG3500_zps13fa515e.jpg

But I've already harvested a few green jalapenos and I'm looking to pick a serrano or two once I determine if they're actually serranos or not 

miguelovic said:
How's it going? Yer photobucket links are dead in the water :P
Crap, it's because I moved the albums around.  Nuts, I'll fix those.

My bells are startening to ripen/turn red and a couple jalapenos are actually beginning to turn red as well.  I've got about 12 habanero pods from 4 plants (One plant hasn't yielded any pods yet) and there are a few more appearing...so I hope they get big enough quick enough to give me some spicy eats this fall.

I'm kind of accepting the fact that my yield's not going to be enough to do what I wanted this fall...especially since every single Serrano pot is growing mini bell peppers instead.  I'm actually still very disappointed in the mix up.

Yield schmield XD If you want to see piddley pepper plants wander in to my glog hehehe

Bright side, you've got more than enough habs for a nice tray of poppers or such. And just think of the headstart you'll have next year if you over winter or dodge the pitfalls of this year (speaking more of myself there XD)

miguelovic said:
Yield schmield XD If you want to see piddley pepper plants wander in to my glog hehehe

Bright side, you've got more than enough habs for a nice tray of poppers or such. And just think of the headstart you'll have next year if you over winter or dodge the pitfalls of this year (speaking more of myself there XD)
Is there much benefit to overwintering?  like, beside the hobby aspect of it?  I feel like I'd probably do just as good next year if I started my Habs a little earlier, got them into bigger cups sooner and actually gave them some nutes this year :rofl:

Not entirely sure it would give an advantage over an particularily early start, though I started early this year I quickly underpaced myself XD I'm going to do it out of hobby interest more than anything I suppose.

miguelovic said:
Not entirely sure it would give an advantage over an particularily early start, though I started early this year I quickly underpaced myself XD I'm going to do it out of hobby interest more than anything I suppose.
I would like to keep a couple pet plants, just for fun sake...although I have to admit if they're more trouble than they're worth I'm not so sure.

The one thing I've learned about my plants this year is that they weren't in big enough pots.  I can feel the size of the root ball in the pots and they're probably taking up nearly 75% of the soil that's in there and likely stopped growing.  Once that happened, their capacity for holding pods was greatly diminished and is likely why I only have about 12 pods MAX on my bushiest plants.

Hell yeah on bigger pots. I used #5 pots (6 gallons), but I think if they grew to their potential it would have been an issue by now. As well, the larger pots mitigate any issues one may have created with a sub-par soil mix..... :shh: my two best ladies are in an 8 and 20 gallon :D

miguelovic said:
Hell yeah on bigger pots. I used #5 pots (6 gallons), but I think if they grew to their potential it would have been an issue by now. As well, the larger pots mitigate any issues one may have created with a sub-par soil mix..... :shh: my two best ladies are in an 8 and 20 gallon :D
I feel that my environment I'm growing them in is prime pepper weather.  It's almost somewhat of a microclimate as it's out of the wind and in direct sunlight from 12:00 till sundown.  If I need, I can pull them a little further into the middle of the deck and soak them in sun from sunrise to sunset.  Not only that, but the fencing around my deck and the white stucco walls reflect the heat greatly onto the plants, nevermind retain the heat well throughout the day.  I feel I have a really prime place to grow hot peppers and I'm just a little disappointed with the serrano mixup and the use of sub-par pot sizes.  Of course, I needed this year to find out what I did wrong and what to improve on in 2015, but I can't help but feel the mistakes I've made are pretty easy to fix for other noobs.

Back