• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Sauce for salmon

Need some help from the authorities (you guys):

My wife's family is coming into town later this week, and I've decided to cook salmon for them (as fish is about the only thing I know how to cook). I'd like to make a sauce for it with my Mad Dog 357 CE to introduce them to the stuff; however, I like these in-laws, and want them to come back. If there's just no safe Mad Dog-using sauce for family use, let me know and I'll drop it.

If the Mad Dog idea seems extreme, I've also got the Sriracha rooster sauce, as well as Tapatio hot sauce, Ashanti Louisiana hot sauce, and some stuff called "Fiery Louisiana" that has almost no taste but a little kick of heat. I suspect the Sriracha would work best, but that would be more of a by itself thing than as an additive in a larger batch of sauce.

Now, I need help devising a sauce for this occasion. There will be seven people there, so I'll probably need to make enough for eight fillets. I'm thinking a thicker sauce would be best for the Mad Dog because of its consistency. Any of you guys have any suggestions as to what types of sauce to look into making, and recipes as to how to do it?

Salmon, seriously?
As a huge fan of salmon, I would think this should dealt very carefully.
My personal suggestion would be a basic garlic/cream sauce with sliced fresh habs. you can remove the habs later, only leaving the "after-heat".
Don't put nasty fiery sauces on your salmon...

We agree on the cream sauce. I've asked a couple other friends, and they all encouraged me not to mess with the salmon itself at all, but make sauce as a side item for anyone who wants it.

I've got half a mind to just make burgers or something. I grew up eating fish, and never really thought about just how easy it is to screw them up.:lol:

I put a thin layer of mayo on salmon, mixed with a little spicy cajun seasoning, top that with shaved garlic and a drizzle of olive oil.

Works every time. Unless the in-laws have all sworn that they love super hot food, it would be a bad move to make it really spicy.

I'd also do it as a side dish. Mad Dog is too strong to use on fish. Beef, I'd say go for it. But not salmon.

We broil salmon in about 1/4 inch of white wine, some lemon grass, herbs. Keep it simple.

If you wanna go really simple, wrap the baby in tin foil and just chuck it on the grill for 5-10 minutes. Mmmmm... Grilled salmon...

One more suggestion - if you wanna do something a *little* spicy, so you aren't bored with it, do a honey ginger glaze. Mix honey and PLENTY of ginger powder into a paste, and baste the fillet with it. Broil it like that.

I recommend a Thai sweet chile cream sauce. Butter, shallots, garlic, cream. Saute the shallots and garlic in the butter, add the cream, bring to a simmer. Add the Thai sweet chili sauce to taste. Reduce it and it will thicken on its own. When the right consistency, add a pat of butter and whisk in to smooth it. Grill your fish and serve the sauce on the sauce on the side or pour over the top. Remember, with salmon, you want to taste the fish, this sauce compliments it with a little heat and savoryness without overpowering it. If you use hot sauce too hot, they will never taste the fish.
Cheers, TB.

cheezydemon said:
I put a thin layer of mayo on salmon, mixed with a little spicy cajun seasoning, top that with shaved garlic and a drizzle of olive oil.

Works every time. Unless the in-laws have all sworn that they love super hot food, it would be a bad move to make it really spicy.

Cheezydemon, I love grilling salmon this way. Usually I dust it with some Hab Powder too just to kick it up a bit. The first time I grilled salmon like this, friends of ours thought it was the weirdest thing they have ever seen. At least until they tasted it.

Back