• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Sausage season has begun

One thing we do when we make sausauge is hang em in a cold room for a little bit...then jar them in oil until we feel like eating them...

i have never smoked before, does that add much flavour ? nice set up Potawie, giving me some ideas, thanks...

Back to the cave i go..lol

So Sorry! I just have to.....

I was just on the Cheese cake factory male genital rubbing thread...(don't take my word for it, check it out) I hit new post and "sausage season has begun!" was just too perfect to pass up!

Again, Sorry!

Smoking adds lots of flavor, and you can use different woods for different tastes. I just cut down a few old apple trees and should have enough smoking woods for the winter. Now I just hope Santa brings me some pork :)

Looks like some that my Italian neighbor has made each and every year (have some hot chorizo vacuum sealed in the freezer as we speak)...

She is looking for sweet Italian chile flakes as well as hot italian chile flakes...I have seeds for Marconi's but am at a loss for Hot Italian chiles (from the old world)

Think I will give her a personal grind of about 2/3 Trinidad Perfume and 1/3 Fatalii to see what she thinks of that....

All this sausage making makes me ungry and just want to get out and make some more summer sausage. I made my first batch ever and it turned out really good. It was a kit but a friend at work uses it and his turn out good. Its a summer sausage kit from Hi moutain, www.himtnjerky.com The kit made me 4 1/2 sticks 3pounders i guess and was great and almost gone one left. I smoked mine for 6 hours with pecan.

Damn, that looks really nice.

Nothing beats making your own.

I'm hungry now... where can I get some good sausage in Brisbane?

stillmanz said:
cm 64 who do you recomend for getting casings etc?
any idea about eklectric mincers?
heres one I have been thinking about.
https://www.allfoodequipment.com.au/products_detail.cfm?prod_id=568&sup_id=45&t=sup

sorry mate I missed this post

I bought some casings from here

http://www.bakeandbrew.com.au/category35_1.htm

I found the actual filling of the casings to be quite a bit fiddly so I haven't made any for a while, I think I will get into skinless snags and see how they turn out

I just spent the morning making a good batch of sausage for the big Superbowl party and I'll be freezing my butt off tomorrow smoking some of them.

The 2 types hanging are for the smoker and will be fully cooked, and the others(links) are fresh sausage(no nitrites) to be BBQ'd superbowl Sunday. There are 2 different type of sausage here, Italians and a Polish type
3223305248_774db02e90.jpg

It was freezing outside so I didn't get any pics of the smoking process but here's after 2 days of cold and hot-smoking. The top are Italian sausage with fennel seed as its dominant flavor, and the bottom are sort of a Polish hunter's sausage but with caraway seed as a dominant spice. The polish type still needs to air dry in a cool fairly humid environment for a week or two to harden but its great tasting the way it is too.

3231882162_9245103c77.jpg

I recently got the cheapo sausage press-
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0005994517244a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=sausage&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1
and put it to work. Or rather, put myself to work. After putting up 50 pounds with that press I got to hating that freakin' lever. But hey, can't beat the price and sometimes it pays to be tough rather than smart. And this is definitely a two person job- with me always hanging on the lever.
I just used up a bunch of last year's mooseburger using a recipe I found on Morton's website. No pig added, just straight hamburger, and it is GOOD. The recipe uses Tender Quick which is a true cure as it contains sodium nitrites and sodium nitrates. Correct me if I'm wrong but the aversion to sodium nitrate/nitrite seems to be pretty much an American thing. The recipe is per pound ground meat and it's pretty damned good. I did most of it in pig casing I got at the local meat locker- however I did do the last batch of ten pounds using the small tube to make wee little snack sticks with no casing and MAN those things are awesome. Also, for those of you who don't have a sausage stuffer you can easily wrap the sausage mix in saran wrap and roll it up into sausagey lengths. Since it's a recipe on a company website, of course they tell you to cook the shit out of it- but if you lay it up overnight (at least), the meat will cure, just like bacon. After laying it up for a day I put it out on the cold smoke for 12-16 hours per batch. It turned out incredible, and I'm going to clear out the rest of the moose in the freezer when I go home to make some more of those wee little sticks!

Ingredients
1 pound lean ground beef
1-1/2 level teaspoons Morton® Tender Quick® mix or Morton® Sugar Cure® (plain)
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, slightly crushed
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon anise seed
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Safe directions

Combine all ingredients, mixing until thoroughly blended. Divide mixture in half. Shape each half into slender roll about 1-1/2 inch in diameter. Wrap in plastic or foil. Refrigerate overnight. Unwrap rolls and place on broiler pan.
Bake at 325°F until a meat thermometer inserted in the center of a roll reads 160°F, 50 to 60 minutes. Store wrapped in refrigerator. Use within 3 to 5 days or freeze for later use.

Yummy directions

Combine all ingredients, mixing until thoroughly blended. Stuff sausages, or make yummy little sticks with no casings. Place on rack in ~35-40 degree temps for at least overnight to cure. SMOKE. EAT. RINSE. REPEAT.

Great recipe, just dunno if i would try it(one more appliance to store).........sounds yummy though.

Penny-
Try to roll your own if you're interested, they actually don't turn out bad at all. You just roll up the mix in Saran Wrap to the thickness you want, then unroll the wrap onto a grill, let it sit on the grill overnight (refrigerated, of course) and then smoke it.

Back