• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sawyer '14 - Seed Offer

A new season begins.  It's a work in progress, but here's my 2014 grow list as it now stands.  It will certainly have some additions as I'm still expecting some more acquisitions.  I hope it will have some deletions, too, because it's just too ridiculously long as it is now.  My hope is/was to grow at least 10 of each variety I grew and saved seeds from in 2013, in order to characterize the extent of cross pollination.  I may have to cut that back to 5 each, at least for some varieties.  Without further ado, here are the contenders:

2014:
7 Pots:

(3)Barrackpore
Brain Strain Yellow
Brain Strain Red
Brown (3 types)
Burgundy
Caramel
(3)Chocolate Barrackpore (2 types)
Congo SR Gigantic
(1,12)Douglah
Jonah
Large Red
Large Yellow
"not Red" (a serrano-/Inca Red Drop-shaped "not")
(5)Original Red
Peach
(5)Primo
(12)Red
(1,12)Yellow
(3,8,11)White

Trinidad Scorpions:
(5)Brown Moruga
(3,9)BubbleGum (2 types)
Butch T
CARDI
(6)Chocolate
(1,12)Red
Red Moruga/Moruga Blend
(3)Sweet
(5,12)Yellow Moruga/Moruga Blend
Yellow Original

Jolokias:
(12)Assam
(8)Black Naga
(3)BOC
Brown Bhut
(8) Giant Bhut
Naga King
(1,12)Naga Morich
"not white" Yellow Bhut
Orange Bhut
(8)Purple Bhut
Red Bhut
White Bhut
(1,12)Yellow Bhut

Crosses:
(8)D'Bhut (7P Douglah x BJ)
(4)Elysium Oxide Bonnet
(3,8)Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
(3)Jay's Red Ghost Scorpion
(1,6)FG Jigsaw
(1,7)Funky Reaper
(3)Madballz
(1,6,7)Reaper
(8)Sepia Serpent
Long Smooth Red
Spicy Bell

Manzano/Rocoto/Locoto:
(8)Manzano Amarillo
(2)Orange Manzano (2 types)
(2)Orange Locoto
Red Manzano
Yellow Manzano
(11)Giant Mexican Rocoto

Bonnets/Habaneros:
(2,3)Bahamian Goat
(2,3)Bonda Ma Jacques
Brown SB
Brown Congo
(9)Freeport Orange SB (Bahamian Goat?)
Giant White Hab
(12)JA Hot Choc Hab
Large Yellow-orange Hab (not GWH)

MoA SB
Orange Hab
(8)Snow White
Yellow Hab
White Bullet Hab

Other:
Datil
Yellow Fatalii
(8)White Fatalii
(3,8)White Devil's Tongue

Jalapeños:
(9)Ciclón
(9)Colima
Early
Pinata
(9)Tajin

Hatch-style:
(10)Heritage Big Jim
(10)Heritage 6-4

Miscellaneous:
Alma Paprika
Amarillo Chiltepin

(3)Blonde
(3)Brown Egg
(9)Chimayo
(9)Devil Serrano
(9)Fish
(3)GA Black
(3)Hungarian Hot Cherry
Large Red Hot Cherry
Pimenta de Neyde
(1,3)Tobago Treasure
(3)Trinidad Cherry
Trinidad Seasoning
(4)Tepin
(11)Orchid/Bishop's Crown
(4,11)Goat's Weed
(11)Brazilian Starfish
(11)Mako Akokasrade
(11)Bull's Heart

Ornamentals:
(10)NuMex Twilight
Chilly Chilli (F2)

Seeds from:
(1) - My own 2013 Grow (as are all otherwise unmarked entries)
(2) - PaulG
(3) - GA. Growhead
(4) - capsidadburn
(5) - PepperLover
(6) - Baker Creek
(7) - Devv
(8) - gnslngr
(9) - meatfreak
(10) - CPI
(11) - PL
(12) - MGOLD86

By my count, that's around 75 82 varieties, not counting the TBDs and expected new acquisitions. :shocked:  I have more space available for in-grounds in the garden now, and also plan to expand the potted plant grow area.  I plan to add some enhancements this year, in terms of custom lighting for stage 2 growth (3.5" square pots), isolation techniques, cap-based repellents, and more.  Stay tuned to see what actually happens. :rolleyes:

Edited list 1/5/14.
Edited list 1/19/14
Edited list 3/2/14, additions=blue, deletions=strike-through

"I sent seed for that BJ Yellow to a few folks and am thinking of starting a variety-specific thread for it, so we can compare notes.  Maybe Scott will start one for the Funky Reaper."

Count me in, buddy!  Sounds like fun!

Sawyer said:

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I actually bought some jalapenos at the store to make the last batch of pickled rings.  While the first batch was good, I wanted to tweak the recipe and didn't want to wait a whole year.  I'll definitely be planting more jalapenos this year.  "Pinata" (CPI) is good for the coloration it lends to the jar and "Early" is good for productivity.  I don't think I'll grow "Cracked" again; the corking is not attractive in a jar.  Stefan (meatfreak) is sending me some varieties that should be optimal for pickle rings, good heat, small cavity, fewer seeds.

That is my number one lesson from last year. Grow bunches more medium hot peppers. I too have had to buy jals to finish recipes. My annuum garden this year will be 3 times the size it was last year. True, I will loose some supers, but I have tons of powder already. The jals I am growing this year are Jalumdos from CPI and Giant jalapenos from Judy I think.

PaulG said:
"I sent seed for that BJ Yellow to a few folks and am thinking of starting a variety-specific thread for it, so we can compare notes.  Maybe Scott will start one for the Funky Reaper."

I don't know how many people are growing the Funky Reaper, I still have seeds if anyone wants them. It's not a large pepper but very tasty :drooling:

maximumcapsicum said:
Thanks for all the info Sawyer! Gonna be a bit down the road before I really need to worry about processing any pods. Best canned product wa candied jalapeños last year. Looking forward to powders and purée bases got sauces this year. Gonna keep things pretty basic as I am still leaning the ropes.
You're welcome, Adam.  Sharing info and experience is what THP is all about.  When you say "candied" jalapenos, are you talking about something like the sweet pickled rings I made, or something that is dry and more like actual pieces of candy?  If the latter, I'd love to see the recipe.

Devv said:
Sorry to hear about the woes with the well and cold weather John!

Hopefully you're now warming up.
Thanks, Scott, it's all good now.  I won't get caught napping brain-cramping being an idiot again.  The last several years of mild winters had made me careless.

There were like the sweet pickled rings actually. I am hoping to find a recipe that makes them more candy-like. Will keep a lookout... if you find one first maybe we can compare notes!

PaulG said:

Okay, I'll start one soon.  I sent seed for the yellow BJ to 4 or 5 folks, one of whom isn't a THP member (yet...
2a9ck8y.gif
), but I'll renew the offer of seed in the new thread.  Do you think such a thread should go in the "Growing" sub-forum or the "Glogs" sub-forum?  I could see an argument for either.

GA Growhead said:
I'm in too!
:woohoo: Gonna be fun!  (I really, really hope at least one of us will get a plant true to type.)

Jeff H said:

That is my number one lesson from last year. Grow bunches more medium hot peppers. I too have had to buy jals to finish recipes. My annuum garden this year will be 3 times the size it was last year. True, I will loose some supers, but I have tons of powder already. The jals I am growing this year are Jalumdos from CPI and Giant jalapenos from Judy I think.
I hear you, Jeff.  This may be sacrilege here on THP, but my primary motivation for starting all this was to use the capsaicin for non-culinary applications.  Now that I've tried a few recipes, though, I'm up to about 50/50 on food vs. non-food.  I don't think I'll start one, but I would definitely participate in a thread devoted strictly to jalapenos and which ones are better for different applications.

capsidadburn said:
+2 on buying jalapeno's. Got some from Stefan also for this season.
Yep.  I'm not even sure what I bought were jalapenos.  They tasted more like jalapeno-shaped bells.  Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but they certainly didn't have the heat or flavor of the ones I grew.

meatfreak said:
I hope they arrive soon, John. Shouldn't be to long now since Mike already got them. I sent them out on the same day.
Me, too, Stefan.  Maybe they'll get here today.  I'm really looking forward to trying all those new varieties this year.

Devv said:
I don't know how many people are growing the Funky Reaper, I still have seeds if anyone wants them. It's not a large pepper but very tasty :drooling:
I've still got seeds, too.  As far as I know, Scott, you and I are the only ones with both versions.  I think it would be good if everyone had both versions.  Besides you, I sent seeds to Paul (PaulG), Mike (capsidadburn), Jason (GA Growhead), Dave (gnslngr), and Penny (Penny).  Entirely up to you on starting a thread, though.  Our purpose might be as well served through PMs.

PaulG said:
I'd be down with the Funky reaper thread, too,
Scott, should you decide to do it.  
"This tape will self-destruct in five seconds."

maximumcapsicum said:
Dropped afew seeds in to soak yesterday! Over capacity but who knows what will take?
Good luck!  We'll be watching.

payed 

Sawyer said:
Yep.  I'm not even sure what I bought were jalapenos.  They tasted more like jalapeno-shaped bells.  Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but they certainly didn't have the heat or flavor of the ones I grew.

I think the cause is they harvest them to early before they have developed their real flavor because they don't want pods with cracks. At least that's what a commercial grower told me. They can't sell Jalapeno's with cracks.

maximumcapsicum said:
There were like the sweet pickled rings actually. I am hoping to find a recipe that makes them more candy-like. Will keep a lookout... if you find one first maybe we can compare notes!
I have seen one here on THP, but can't find it at the moment.  At least I think it was here.  You can find a few recipes by searching for "candied" in the cooking and recipes sub-forums, but I'm not seeing the one I think I remember.
meatfreak said:
payed 

I think the cause is they harvest them to early before they have developed their real flavor because they don't want pods with cracks. At least that's what a commercial grower told me. They can't sell Jalapeno's with cracks.
That makes sense.  Never mind if something tastes good or not, as long as it looks pretty.  I haven't bought a tomato at the grocery in decades and likely never will again.

I wise I could grow my own tomatoes all year but unfortunately that's not possible over here. Anyway when the wife bought a few tomatoes last week they were really grainy with absolutely no flavor at all. Now that we've tasted our own grown tomatoes again we really don't like any other anymore :lol: Gonna have enough plants this season so that we can have an year supply of tomato sauce :)

meatfreak said:
I wise I could grow my own tomatoes all year but unfortunately that's not possible over here. Anyway when the wife bought a few tomatoes last week they were really grainy with absolutely no flavor at all. Now that we've tasted our own grown tomatoes again we really don't like any other anymore :lol: Gonna have enough plants this season so that we can have an year supply of tomato sauce :)
^^ This^^

To add to Meatfreak's comment, I'm reserving a small corner of my grow room to tomatoes this year (just two plants). I didn't start them early enough to get tomatoes in the winter, but I should have a few by early spring.

Jeff H said:
^^ This^^

To add to Meatfreak's comment, I'm reserving a small corner of my grow room to tomatoes this year (just two plants). I didn't start them early enough to get tomatoes in the winter, but I should have a few by early spring.

Now will tomatoes grown indoors during the winter months give fruit that is "Forced-Ripe" like?  Or will they have a garden like flavor and texture to them?  I was thinking about growing some sun sugar cherry tomatoes through the winter but wasn't sure how they'd be.

There is nothing like fresh tomatoes out of the garden.  Most of my cherry tomatoes don't even make it to the house unless they are going into a salad right away.  And with homemade tomato sauce, some rice, hot peppers, garlic, and a meat of your choice, you always have meal options!!!

HillBilly Jeff said:

Now will tomatoes grown indoors during the winter months give fruit that is "Forced-Ripe" like?  Or will they have a garden like flavor and texture to them?  I was thinking about growing some sun sugar cherry tomatoes through the winter but wasn't sure how they'd be.

Last year I only grew one plant and it wasn't until later in the winter. They didn't taste 'forced ripe' but they were definitely smaller than tomatoes grown outdoors. Also, last year, I grew a determinate which I think is the wrong thing to do. Planted a couple indeterminates this time so I can control how bushy they get. I figure I can suspend the vine all over the grow room if I need to.

I may be wrong, but I think the varieties optimized for commercial indoor growing just generally yield that "forced-ripe" or hot house flavor.  I suspect if you could bring a good beefsteak to fruition indoors it would taste at least somewhat like the real deal.

Back