• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sawyer '14 - Seed Offer

A new season begins.  It's a work in progress, but here's my 2014 grow list as it now stands.  It will certainly have some additions as I'm still expecting some more acquisitions.  I hope it will have some deletions, too, because it's just too ridiculously long as it is now.  My hope is/was to grow at least 10 of each variety I grew and saved seeds from in 2013, in order to characterize the extent of cross pollination.  I may have to cut that back to 5 each, at least for some varieties.  Without further ado, here are the contenders:

2014:
7 Pots:

(3)Barrackpore
Brain Strain Yellow
Brain Strain Red
Brown (3 types)
Burgundy
Caramel
(3)Chocolate Barrackpore (2 types)
Congo SR Gigantic
(1,12)Douglah
Jonah
Large Red
Large Yellow
"not Red" (a serrano-/Inca Red Drop-shaped "not")
(5)Original Red
Peach
(5)Primo
(12)Red
(1,12)Yellow
(3,8,11)White

Trinidad Scorpions:
(5)Brown Moruga
(3,9)BubbleGum (2 types)
Butch T
CARDI
(6)Chocolate
(1,12)Red
Red Moruga/Moruga Blend
(3)Sweet
(5,12)Yellow Moruga/Moruga Blend
Yellow Original

Jolokias:
(12)Assam
(8)Black Naga
(3)BOC
Brown Bhut
(8) Giant Bhut
Naga King
(1,12)Naga Morich
"not white" Yellow Bhut
Orange Bhut
(8)Purple Bhut
Red Bhut
White Bhut
(1,12)Yellow Bhut

Crosses:
(8)D'Bhut (7P Douglah x BJ)
(4)Elysium Oxide Bonnet
(3,8)Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
(3)Jay's Red Ghost Scorpion
(1,6)FG Jigsaw
(1,7)Funky Reaper
(3)Madballz
(1,6,7)Reaper
(8)Sepia Serpent
Long Smooth Red
Spicy Bell

Manzano/Rocoto/Locoto:
(8)Manzano Amarillo
(2)Orange Manzano (2 types)
(2)Orange Locoto
Red Manzano
Yellow Manzano
(11)Giant Mexican Rocoto

Bonnets/Habaneros:
(2,3)Bahamian Goat
(2,3)Bonda Ma Jacques
Brown SB
Brown Congo
(9)Freeport Orange SB (Bahamian Goat?)
Giant White Hab
(12)JA Hot Choc Hab
Large Yellow-orange Hab (not GWH)

MoA SB
Orange Hab
(8)Snow White
Yellow Hab
White Bullet Hab

Other:
Datil
Yellow Fatalii
(8)White Fatalii
(3,8)White Devil's Tongue

Jalapeños:
(9)Ciclón
(9)Colima
Early
Pinata
(9)Tajin

Hatch-style:
(10)Heritage Big Jim
(10)Heritage 6-4

Miscellaneous:
Alma Paprika
Amarillo Chiltepin

(3)Blonde
(3)Brown Egg
(9)Chimayo
(9)Devil Serrano
(9)Fish
(3)GA Black
(3)Hungarian Hot Cherry
Large Red Hot Cherry
Pimenta de Neyde
(1,3)Tobago Treasure
(3)Trinidad Cherry
Trinidad Seasoning
(4)Tepin
(11)Orchid/Bishop's Crown
(4,11)Goat's Weed
(11)Brazilian Starfish
(11)Mako Akokasrade
(11)Bull's Heart

Ornamentals:
(10)NuMex Twilight
Chilly Chilli (F2)

Seeds from:
(1) - My own 2013 Grow (as are all otherwise unmarked entries)
(2) - PaulG
(3) - GA. Growhead
(4) - capsidadburn
(5) - PepperLover
(6) - Baker Creek
(7) - Devv
(8) - gnslngr
(9) - meatfreak
(10) - CPI
(11) - PL
(12) - MGOLD86

By my count, that's around 75 82 varieties, not counting the TBDs and expected new acquisitions. :shocked:  I have more space available for in-grounds in the garden now, and also plan to expand the potted plant grow area.  I plan to add some enhancements this year, in terms of custom lighting for stage 2 growth (3.5" square pots), isolation techniques, cap-based repellents, and more.  Stay tuned to see what actually happens. :rolleyes:

Edited list 1/5/14.
Edited list 1/19/14
Edited list 3/2/14, additions=blue, deletions=strike-through

maximumcapsicum said:
Wow killer MoA pull Gary! Can't believe most of that came from one plant. Saucin time...
Yeah, I've got to come up with a good recipe for those MoAs.

HillBilly Jeff said:
What's the white DT and the goat taste like?
The goat in the picture above is the first to ripen, so I haven't tried one myself, yet.  I have tried the DTW, but it was just a small piece amongst other small pieces of other peppers.  I'll have to get back to you on this.

The mystery pod on the top right looks allot like a BOC. Orange like Bahamian goat? Taste is similar but super hot.
Sawyer said:
You're welcome, Wes, and good to meet you.  I'm confused on some of them, too, but I've labeled the pods in the picture as best as I can remember:

2rq0cup.jpg

The Arkansas Reapers are from seeds from an off-type Carolina Reaper I grew last year.  I had been calling it Funky Reaper because in pictures last year, I thought they looked like Scott's FR.  It's clear this year they aren't, so a new name just to keep them separate.  I haven't been impressed with the AR and may not grow it again.  The Arkansas Peach is from the same batch of seeds, but unless it has no flavor or heat, I'll definitely grow it again.  I'm a sucker for peach-colored pods.  The two pods in the upper right I should be able to figure out next time I'm in the garden, but I'm pretty sure that color is not what it's supposed to be.  The (yellow) King Naga is supposed to be red, but Duffy at Refining Fire Chile (where I got the seeds) makes a point of them not being stable yet.  The shape is right and I have three other plants that should turn red, so I'm happy with one of them being yellow.  If they're not labeled, pods are from seeds I saved last year, except for the Bahamian Goat.  I got those seeds from Jason.  At least one of the red pods in the lower left is supposed to be a Carolina Reaper, either from my seed or Scott's.  I had those pods in my hand, just so, walking out of the garden when I got bitten by a horsefly.  In the ensuing reaction, the pods went flying.

If you folks haven't seen it already, you should check out the video of Wes and his son eating whole Carolina Reaper pods.  I think he got those pods from Judy.

GA Growhead said:
The mystery pod on the top right looks allot like a BOC. Orange like Bahamian goat? Taste is similar but super hot.
That sounded plausible, then I looked at my planting chart again.  Somehow, my BOCs never made it to dirt.  I hit a wall somewhere around half way through my planned chinense plant-out, a third of the way through total plant-out.  No real excuse for that, just a lot of little things piled up.  Will try to do better next year.

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Ouch.... that sucks... nice hall on them MoA though
Yeah, it does, but it's a pretty small set back in the bigger scheme of things.  You've had worse problems with your grow.  Hope you get them solved.  Thanks for stopping by, DeNNiZ.

I'll be trying the Devil's tongue today, possibly the Goat as well.
I did eat the Arkansas Peach; video will be posted later today.

-Wes

I thought changing the title might get a few more to look in here.  One of THP's newer members, and fellow Fayettevillean Wes Newman, has posted a review of one of my Black Nagas (pictured here) in this post.

Also, in case you haven't seen it, I started a thread here in the main growing forum about winter cover cropping.  I'm considering buying seeds in bulk in order to make smaller quantities available to folks who can't find them locally and/or at prices better than what can be found at the usual outlets.  A couple of members have posted links to some very useful information resources down-thread there, too.

Nice start on the cover crop thread John!

And thanks for the Bamboo, Comfrey offer. I think you should let your Comfrey do it's thing for a while, so it gets well established. As soon as our weather gets into the low 90's, I'll order some. I intend to use the lower part of the garden, which has been fallow forever, I do want to add some heavey soil there first ;)  So I need to get my bhut in gear...

Liked Wes'(s) review, he's crazy! LOL! And nice of you to share!

Keep it green!

Thanks for the review, Wes.  I tasted one of these yesterday and liked it.  I'm not very good at discerning subtle differences in flavor; it tasted like a chinense to me.  I only tried a couple of pieces from the middle and bottom, but it didn't seem "super" hot to me.  Then again, I probably missed the placenta that way.

Devv said:
Nice start on the cover crop thread John!

And thanks for the Bamboo, Comfrey offer. I think you should let your Comfrey do it's thing for a while, so it gets well established. As soon as our weather gets into the low 90's, I'll order some. I intend to use the lower part of the garden, which has been fallow forever, I do want to add some heavey soil there first ;)  So I need to get my bhut in gear...

Liked Wes'(s) review, he's crazy! LOL! And nice of you to share!

Keep it green!
Thanks, Scott.  I'm looking up seeding rates for standalone and mixed plantings right now, to convert from #/acre to oz/sq.ft.

The Bocking #14 from HH is actual root crowns, ready to grow.  The #4 from Coe's (that I bought) was just pieces of bare pencil-sized root.  Had I treated it with more care, I'm sure it would have rooted and grown, but I just stuck in prepared holes that got too hot and dry.  Coe's sells root crowns and I would recommend those if you want a fast start.

I"m pleased to report that about 1/3 of the green MoA pods that came from the broken limb have started to ripen up on their own.  I wasn't expecting that.

I figured out what the "Hmmm?" labeled pods are in the picture up above.  They are off a Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion plant.  Apparently it was crossed with something, or just a throw-back.

I picked about one and a half SFRB-worth of mixed supers yesterday.  Was running late, so didn't get a picture.  Took them to a friend who is starting up a Sunday Bloody Mary day at his bar.  He's going to put (some of) the peppers in a vodka infuser. 

Just wanted to pass along another spot I found for ground cover called Peaceful Valley. Their Fall catalog that just came out is loaded with different cover crops and prices seem good and they have flat rate shipping up to 40 lbs. Can check out their website and compare prices your finding. Each different seed has coverage info listed as well, with a downloadable planting guide available from their site for dates and methods.

Sawyer said:

The Bocking #14 from HH is actual root crowns, ready to grow.  The #4 from Coe's (that I bought) was just pieces of bare pencil-sized root.  Had I treated it with more care, I'm sure it would have rooted and grown, but I just stuck in prepared holes that got too hot and dry.  Coe's sells root crowns and I would recommend those if you want a fast start.

That is what I bought. I got 10 crown cuttings and Coe threw in 5 root cuttings and more than a little political commentary. :D

I think 9 of the crowns and 3-4 of the root cuttings sprouted and grew.

Sawyer said:
 I'm not very good at discerning subtle differences in flavor; it tasted like a chinense to me.

I can't really discern them either. I think that is fairly common when there this hot. Hard to get a good handle on the flavor before the pain hits.

Seacowboy said:
Just wanted to pass along another spot I found for ground cover called Peaceful Valley. Their Fall catalog that just came out is loaded with different cover crops and prices seem good and they have flat rate shipping up to 40 lbs. Can check out their website and compare prices your finding. Each different seed has coverage info listed as well, with a downloadable planting guide available from their site for dates and methods.
Thanks, Jason, I'll take a look that.

Jeff H said:

That is what I bought. I got 10 crown cuttings and Coe threw in 5 root cuttings and more than a little political commentary. :D

I think 9 of the crowns and 3-4 of the root cuttings sprouted and grew.

I can't really discern them either. I think that is fairly common when there this hot. Hard to get a good handle on the flavor before the pain hits.
Hah, yeah, he's not bashful with his opinions.  It didn't bother me and those it would bother probably wouldn't be buying comfrey in the first place.  I'm thinking of buying a single 2 y.o. plant from him.  Once you get a start, from what I can tell, they divide easily and it wouldn't take long to build up a planting.  How long ago did you get your starts?  How are they doing now?

Regarding the flavors, I did have some dead ripe Moruga Scorpions last year that tasted like a cherry cough lozenge, before the heat swept in and overpowered everything.

Sawyer said:

Hah, yeah, he's not bashful with his opinions.  It didn't bother me and those it would bother probably wouldn't be buying comfrey in the first place.  I'm thinking of buying a single 2 y.o. plant from him.  Once you get a start, from what I can tell, they divide easily and it wouldn't take long to build up a planting.  How long ago did you get your starts?  How are they doing now?

I'll get some pics up in my glog later this week of the comfrey. I ordered them early this spring and started the crowns all in the grow room over the winter so they were already growing in potting soil by early May when I put them in the ground. The root cuttings I just put directly in the ground when I planted the crowns. Most of them came up too but the plants are way smaller than the crown cuttings. I have them in a pretty small space, as them get bigger, I'll have to spread them out.

I just ordered 10 crowns from Coe's.  As fast as they grow, they should have a chance to get established before cold weather.  I already have the holes ready (where the root cuttings didn't grow).

Seacowboy said:
Jason, is this the website you're talking about?  They do have some pretty good info there and their prices in some cases are about what I could offer.  They're out of stock of hairy vetch, though, and that's one of the main go-to varieties.  Also their minimum order size is a pound and I'd like to encourage every in-ground grower, even those with only a 100 sq.ft. or less, to get started with cover-cropping.  I've about got a chart put together I'll post over in the other thread.

Edit:  Embedded the missing link.

Love your grow John . Very educational as well . Keep the updates a coming .  :party:

Wooooooooo-PIG-Soooooooieeee! Razorback!

Don't see a link in your post but its grow organic dot com. I have the catalog with me on the boat and hadn't checked stock. Agree on the mix of pricing, good for some, not so for others. Just another source to use for different items out of stock or unavailable elsewhere. Thought you were looking to get large quantities then divy them up.

Unfortunately I just talked with friend that I work with at our hunt camp and he said he is not interested at all in doing a cover crop. Can't teach an old dog new tricks here in this case. He's content with throwing a handful of chemical fert into each hole or row he puts in. Guess I'm on my own then to do a small section, maybe 8' x 125' for my pepper patch down there.

Got a question for you. Have you ever used a pre emergent? Looking into this option as these old guys are not holding up to their end of the bargain of tilling and mowing when I'm offshore, but relying on me to do the heavy work, planting, tilling and mowing the couple days I can get down each time home 1x a month. Shitty deal but the land is there and more than doubles my available growing area especially with all the other goodies we grow there.

Back