• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sawyer 2019

I'm not quite done with the 2018 glog yet, but thought I'd get started on the new year's effort.  I'll update the grow list in my profile soon and probably post it here, too.

Mainly, this morning, I wanted a place to stick links to some PDFs I (finally) found (again).  These are technical documents from CARDI that some may find interesting (3.52 MB and 1.82 MB, respectively):

http://www.cardi.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Hot-Pepper-Production-Manual-for-Trinidad-and-Tobago-2011-reprint.pdf

http://www.cardi.org/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2013/02/Cbbean-hot-pepper-production-post-harvest-manual.pdf

They both contain a lot of good detailed information, but that's not primarily why I post the links.  I'm not trying to start an argument (discussion is fine), but I prefer "7 pod" to "7 pot".  These two documents support that usage.  I found more that support the alternative... tomāto, tomahto. 

One of my goals this year is to scale up production. Now that I have access to commercial scale processing facilities, a good relationship with the local Food Science department, and life in general looks to be a little bit less of a PITA (knock on wood), the timing seems right.

I'm also planning my first ever intentional breeding effort.  Not that someone else hasn't attempted what I have in mind, but I haven't come across the idea before. Stay tuned for details.

And since a bit of color never hurts, here's a Papa Dreadie from last year, pic taken 180727:
debg2r.jpg

Not clogging, Paul, just glogging. Thanks for your response. I've seen both described by two or three different species names. Since both are being grown in the same community garden, hopefully I can watch them grow.

I wonder how many it takes to make a kilogram. Multiple sites (all probably copying the same source) say these sell for $25,000/kg.

Hey Sawyer! Things are looking amazing over your way! I Love all the different plant pictures you've posted. For what it's worth you know your sh** I've been (trying) to learn for a good 4-5 years now (collecting native and not so native plants from nurseries) and feel like I'm no where near your status. We have plant books, edible weeds, shrooms, fruits etc.. So much to learn and so hard to remember all of it. Your starts look amazing... Peppers, veggies, plants etc. I'm excited to see all of this in the ground, pics and panoramas needed!!  :cool:

Hey Sawyer! Things are looking amazing over your way! I Love all the different plant pictures you've posted. For what it's worth you know your sh** I've been (trying) to learn for a good 4-5 years now (collecting native and not so native plants from nurseries) and feel like I'm no where near your status. We have plant books, edible weeds, shrooms, fruits etc.. So much to learn and so hard to remember all of it. Your starts look amazing... Peppers, veggies, plants etc. I'm excited to see all of this in the ground, pics and panoramas needed!!  :cool:

Woah, Brandon! Triple post! That is def a record, first one I have seen.

Sawyer said:
Not clogging, Paul, just glogging. Thanks for your response. I've seen both described by two or three different species names. Since both are being grown in the same community garden, hopefully I can watch them grow.

I wonder how many it takes to make a kilogram. Multiple sites (all probably copying the same source) say these sell for $25,000/kg.
Haha, a kilogram of those would require a shipload of pods!

If that is true, that is all I am growing next season!

BigCedar said:
Hah, yeah, triple post = too much coffee?

I've got a few years' head start on you learning about this stuff and the only thing I know for certain is that there's more I don't know than I do. Lately, I've been trying to learn about native grasses. Wish me luck.

Planted 6 plants in ground yesterday. Still have 6 plants in ground today. Knock on wood.

I definitely need to post more pics. Tepin had several blooms open today.

PaulG said:
Woah, Brandon! Triple post! That is def a record, first one I have seen.

Haha, a kilogram of those would require a shipload of pods!

If that is true, that is all I am growing next season!
People laugh when I tell them peppers are more profitable than cannabis.

Woah! My bad on the triple! Satellite internet out in the country isnt all what its cracked up to be!! Lol. Good luck with the grass! Im trying to learn all the edible weeds in my yard, pretty sure I could live off English plaintain for a good 10 years if shit hit the fan

BDASPNY said:
I've found its much better mowing now that I've reduced the area with garden space. lol  
I was going to mow last year, but the throttle cable on my lawnmower broke.

I attended a water quality seminar yesterday and it turns out that no- and low-maintenance lawns are all the big "new" thing now. I was just ahead of my. Or way behind:

https://www.the-compost-gardener.com/god-and-lawns.html

Sawyer said:
I was going to mow last year, but the throttle cable on my lawnmower broke.

I attended a water quality seminar yesterday and it turns out that no- and low-maintenance lawns are all the big "new" thing now. I was just ahead of my. Or way behind:

https://www.the-compost-gardener.com/god-and-lawns.html

lmao that was damn funny. and so very true.

I do try to wait as long as I can in the backyard. so many various wild flowers spring up and attract the bees.

I have multiple species of Ladies' Tresses orchids (genus Spiranthes) growing in my yard that I would never have known about if I maintained a postage stamp lawn. There is a sufficiently thick tree and shrub barrier along the highway frontage that the casual passerby is unlikely to be offended. Neighbors are a different matter, but I'm offended by some of them, too.

do those randomly grow? or where they planted.

I know when I bought my home I had no idea the original owners really loved daffodils and tulips. I literally removed 1000s of them that were all over the yard. I had never seen bulbs larger than a softball before. I picked the largest ones out and planted them in the one flower bed we use. they're impressive when they bloom. the rest were given away. I now wish I had sold them. probably could of sold enough to make one house payment. lol

Sawyer said:
Just checking to see if I can still post. Messenger isn't working for me.

Edit: Well that works. Anyone know what's up with messenger?

Edit #2: I got messenger to work by removing NMSU CPI from the text. Weird.
I thought I was the only one experiencing this problem,
but now three others including yourself have mentioned it.

What gives? Is there no tech support at Burn time Media?
I have heard nothing from them after two or three weeks.
This is not acceptable. I expect a reliable posting vehicle,
not something that randomly and sporadically decides to
mess with my posting.

It's a real pain-in-the-ass to have to try a workaround in
order to post to my own thread.

I can't seem to find any common thread of what causes it.
Sometimes pics, sometimes just text and sometimes both.

Geez. Let's get this taken care of.

If I hadn't been a little frustrated and short on time, I would have looked at the html for extraneous code. It's obviously not simply the phrase NMSU CPI, since I was able to use that up above and here.

I had a previous issue, where my post would post, but only part of it. I tracked that down to a "less than" symbol immediately followed by the numeral "5". As in, "<5" and everything after that didn't post. But it only happens if you preview first.

That does seem to be repeatable.

Yep, it's a odd glitch.  I found it impossible yesterday to post with the word "from" in the following context

"..which came from my..."

until I changed it to "f-r-o-m." 

I could post "from " elsewhere in the post and also if I simply removed "from" from the sentence above it posted fine, but when typed or pasted it back into context again it wouldn't post.

Back