• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sawyer 2019

I'm not quite done with the 2018 glog yet, but thought I'd get started on the new year's effort.  I'll update the grow list in my profile soon and probably post it here, too.

Mainly, this morning, I wanted a place to stick links to some PDFs I (finally) found (again).  These are technical documents from CARDI that some may find interesting (3.52 MB and 1.82 MB, respectively):

http://www.cardi.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Hot-Pepper-Production-Manual-for-Trinidad-and-Tobago-2011-reprint.pdf

http://www.cardi.org/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2013/02/Cbbean-hot-pepper-production-post-harvest-manual.pdf

They both contain a lot of good detailed information, but that's not primarily why I post the links.  I'm not trying to start an argument (discussion is fine), but I prefer "7 pod" to "7 pot".  These two documents support that usage.  I found more that support the alternative... tomāto, tomahto. 

One of my goals this year is to scale up production. Now that I have access to commercial scale processing facilities, a good relationship with the local Food Science department, and life in general looks to be a little bit less of a PITA (knock on wood), the timing seems right.

I'm also planning my first ever intentional breeding effort.  Not that someone else hasn't attempted what I have in mind, but I haven't come across the idea before. Stay tuned for details.

And since a bit of color never hurts, here's a Papa Dreadie from last year, pic taken 180727:
debg2r.jpg

Effing weird. I forget exactly how he/she spells it, but the user whose name reads as "you know" in leet uses the < symbol as part of the "k". I think I saw somewhere he/she posted about having a similar missing text problem with his/her name.

So weird.  I just tried to respond and got sent to the index.This time it didn't allow "drop-table" without the hyphen - and won't let me type "drop-table" without the hyphen anywhere in the post.  Makes me think there's some parsing process taking place that is erroneously flagging things.

My original post -
Yeah, I saw that too.  There was discussion about the user name "mimicking" SQL syntax and the site not properly parsing the code so interpreting it as a command. The "drop-table" joke too.

But I thought along the same lines as you about whether something's happening with the text we're typing in being treated as a command and causing some fault or exception.  It only seems to happen in certain context; you can't type certain things in one sentence or post, but then in another context or post there's no problem.  Would be interesting to know what's happening.

Oh well. I've learned to copy my post into the clipboard before posting so I don't loose it.

Sawyer said:
I was going to mow last year, but the throttle cable on my lawnmower broke.

I attended a water quality seminar yesterday and it turns out that no- and low-maintenance lawns are all the big "new" thing now. I was just ahead of my. Or way behind:

https://www.the-compost-gardener.com/god-and-lawns.html

I grew up in NY, lawns were the thing. I had no problem losing that logic.

I only have to mow when it rains, some years just 3-4 times. But those years are too dry. If the yard needs mowing, and it just rained....it can wait a week. Or I have to do it again...LOL

I just got caught up here. Lots of good stuff going on John!

The plants look great and I see a killer year in the making. 25K  for a kilo? Who's buying ? cuz I'll devote 20 acres..LOL

I ran into the posting issue. I was guessing I had a timeout between start and finish. I can't see it being the text input, if that were the case it would happen every time. Not just once in a while. I'm pretty familiar with php, and of you type s" the code will (should) escape the " and present it to the sql engine as s\" so it knows it's not a quote it needs to look at. Hope that makes sense ;)

CaneDog said:
So weird.  I just tried to respond and got sent to the index.This time it didn't allow "drop-table" without the hyphen - and won't let me type "drop-table" without the hyphen anywhere in the post.  Makes me think there's some parsing process taking place that is erroneously flagging things.

My original post -
Yeah, I saw that too.  There was discussion about the user name "mimicking" SQL syntax and the site not properly parsing the code so interpreting it as a command. The "drop-table" joke too.

But I thought along the same lines as you about whether something's happening with the text we're typing in being treated as a command and causing some fault or exception.  It only seems to happen in certain context; you can't type certain things in one sentence or post, but then in another context or post there's no problem.  Would be interesting to know what's happening.

Oh well. I've learned to copy my post into the clipboard before posting so I don't loose it.
Yes, that last bit is good practice regardless. And for anyone who didn't see the referenced post, or the original xkcd:

https://xkcd.com/327/

Devv said:
I grew up in NY, lawns were the thing. I had no problem losing that logic.

I only have to mow when it rains, some years just 3-4 times. But those years are too dry. If the yard needs mowing, and it just rained....it can wait a week. Or I have to do it again...LOL
 I've tried a couple of times, unsuccessfully, to get buffalo grass established on my place. Descriptions read like it's an ideal drought resistant, low maintenance grass. With the added benefit of being a native species.

Devv said:
I just got caught up here. Lots of good stuff going on John!

The plants look great and I see a killer year in the making. 25K  for a kilo? Who's buying ? cuz I'll devote 20 acres..LOL

I ran into the posting issue. I was guessing I had a timeout between start and finish. I can't see it being the text input, if that were the case it would happen every time. Not just once in a while. I'm pretty familiar with php, and of you type s" the code will (should) escape the " and present it to the sql engine as s\" so it knows it's not a quote it needs to look at. Hope that makes sense ;)
Thanks, Scott. I keep trying; one of these years I'll run all year on all cylinders.

Apparently "gourmet chefs" pay such prices. I think it's likely a case of one person pulled a number out of the air and it just keeps getting quoted.

I get the general gist of what you're saying re php, but as CaneDog notes, it certainly seems to be contextual. I've copied the text that won't post and pasted it into a new edit window and clicked post immediately and it still won't post, so I think it's not a timeout issue.

There's a thread down in the suggestions subforum, I think. Someone there said they solved the issue by setting their editor default option to "paste as plain text", but I don't know where to set that option. Bossman is aware of the problem and has someone working on it. I assume it's infant mortality for the "new and improved" THP. Or less morbidly, the leading edge of the bathtub curve.

Sawyer said:
There's a thread down in the suggestions subforum, I think. Someone there said they solved the issue by setting their editor default option to "paste as plain text", but I don't know where to set that option.

Use the far right button in the top row of formatting buttons. It's the "Options" button. Put a check in the box for paste as plain text. Do it once and it sticks.

DWB said:
Use the far right button in the top row of formatting buttons. It's the "Options" button. Put a check in the box for paste as plain text. Do it once and it sticks.
Ah, thank you, I see that now, but it gives me this message, "Because of your browser security settings, the editor is not able to access your clipboard data directly. You are required to paste it again in this window."

However, the button right next to it opens a window to "paste as plain text." Not as convenient as set it and forget it, but it'll work for now.

Wow. Seems like a tempest in a teapot with the posting
difficulties. I am glad the boss is working on it. Seems
to be working okay now, but I am waiting for the other
shoe to drop!

I see all my pictures have disappeared from all my posts, going all the way back to 2011. I was hosting on tinypic.com and apparently they went belly up.  Supposedly I had a 10 day window to retrieve all the images back in September, but I missed it. 

Oh, well, it was a good run. In principle, I still have the originals, but most of those are on a Mac OS time machine backup drive. The MacBook it was backup for got hacked and crashed some time ago, so I'll need to find someone with a machine running Snow Leopard to retrieve the images. 

Anyway, that's just the icing on the crap cake that was 2019. Three in-ground plantings of pepper plants were destroyed by deer and rabbit predation. I almost lost all of my multi-year-old container plants due (I think) to an excess nitrogen shock. I saved most of them, but did lose my original Papa Dreadie plant. That was sad.

Total 2019 harvest was negligible.  I got a handful of tepins before the birds found them.  (They're not called bird peppers for nothing.)  I also got a double handful of "Yellow Moruga Scorpions."  I put that in quotes, because they don't look much like I remember they should.  I'll say more about that elsewhere later.

But 2020 is a new year, so I'll move on to that.  I'll close out this craptastic glog with a shot of some so-called habaneros I found at a local grocery recently.  The largest of these is smaller than a quarter, most are much smaller.

IMG_20191228_150005.jpg

I have seeds from those to share if anyone is interested.

Birds never mess with any of the domesticated varieties I grow.  I've been wondering if during the millennia that farmers have been domesticating peppers they picked up some sort of bird repellent that's not found in the wild varieties.

Yeah, I don't know. I sort of figured it was just the small size of the tepins, but maybe you're on to something. I think I've never seen peck marks on domestics, which would support your wondering.

Sorry to hear about your photo problems.
I feel your pain, John, but at least I have fuzzy
PhotoBucket pix in the threads from back
in the day.

Thanks, Paul. I've upgraded to a paid membership, so at least the images will be here going forward.

I was thinking if I found all the originals, I could edit them into the old threads, forgetting we can no longer do that. Maybe if I get them lined up I can get a one time exception. Gotta find them first.

Sawyer said:
Thanks, Paul. I've upgraded to a paid membership, so at least the images will be here going forward.

I was thinking if I found all the originals, I could edit them into the old threads, forgetting we can no longer do that. Maybe if I get them lined up I can get a one time exception. Gotta find them first.

Yeah, I really miss the edit feature on older posts.

Hi John..Happy New Year...haven't seen much of you & was wondering if you were doing a glog...then I read about the  deer &
rabbits and others devouring your crop...that would/has driven me crazy..feel bad for you.
We have deer  in the back of our property and they come out day and night  undeterred by our presence...kinda implying "we were
here before you so take that".I don't grow too far from the house & have  a small fenced in area...chalk it up to it comes with the
territory..
One time I grew corn and waited and waited to just pick a few as it was the first time growing such...well on the day I was to
pick them I go outside and all the stalks were on the ground all the corn stripped and eaten some fully some half...I thought
it was deer but my hubby said it must  be squirrels as there r many around...I never grew corn again since then..I was so
upset,more so that I waited for a day when I'd be home...still it's just beyond disgusting.

Also ~ the lost of pixs..that is rotten ..glad you have backup,thou' you may have to invest time in getting things straighten out.
Bet you're happy to turn the page on '19 and hopefully have better luck this yr with maybe some potted plants.
Here's to a better grow in '20. ;)

wiriwiri said:
Hi John..Happy New Year...haven't seen much of you & was wondering if you were doing a glog...then I read about the  deer &
rabbits and others devouring your crop...that would/has driven me crazy..feel bad for you.
We have deer  in the back of our property and they come out day and night  undeterred by our presence...kinda implying "we were
here before you so take that".I don't grow too far from the house & have  a small fenced in area...chalk it up to it comes with the
territory..
One time I grew corn and waited and waited to just pick a few as it was the first time growing such...well on the day I was to
pick them I go outside and all the stalks were on the ground all the corn stripped and eaten some fully some half...I thought
it was deer but my hubby said it must  be squirrels as there r many around...I never grew corn again since then..I was so
upset,more so that I waited for a day when I'd be home...still it's just beyond disgusting.

Also ~ the lost of pixs..that is rotten ..glad you have backup,thou' you may have to invest time in getting things straighten out.
Bet you're happy to turn the page on '19 and hopefully have better luck this yr with maybe some potted plants.
Here's to a better grow in '20. ;)
Happy New Year, Sandy. Thanks for stopping by.

I plan to have a 2020 grow log, just a little slow getting out of the gate. Your effort with wild varieties is inspiring, but I'm going to stick mostly with superhots and sweets this year. I do have two or three wilds on tap.

I once had an experience similar to yours with corn. In my case, it was a family of raccoons. I'm going to try to start early with live trapping this year. I carry them across a river for release, so hopefully that will hinder their return.

Probably going to get a depredation permit for the deer. Need to talk to Game & Fish about that. I met an employee on the fisheries side of things last week at a volunteer tree planting. He was encouraging and helped steer me in the right direction.

For rabbits, my pepper spray works pretty well, but I have to remember to reapply it more frequently than I have in the past.

If I'd finally finish putting up a perimeter fence and get a dog, that would help with both the four-legged and two-legged mammalian vermin.

All that aside, my biggest concern is encroachment from an out-of-control patch of alien golden bamboo. Thought it was native river cane when I bought this place. Now it's overtaken more than half of my garden space. About the only way to get rid of it is to dig it out by hand. Oh, well, I need the exercise. And it does make for good trellises, stakes, and fishing poles.

I'll be doing mostly container growing this year, along with some hügelkultur beds, as I try to beat back the bamboo. And yes, glad to turn the page, not just on '19, but the whole last decade.

Wishing a successful 2020 grow to you, too.

John you seem to have similar types of pest as we have here...we do have racoon too but not many.It's nice to get away
from city living but there's a price to be paid.I never saw so much deer etc except on the road(kill).I have friends that have
 had accidents with major auto damage,they just dart out of nowhere.
I hope you can have some doable solutions as  best to deal with these pests,so you can enjoy some
growing this yr.

I do have clumping cold hardy  bamboo,one is about 15 yrs old and is about 4' x 6'  really slow growing.But I know how
difficult it is to be rid of.I've read of  people looking for bamboo on forums I've been on in the past.I don't know if you would
entertain people coming to your place to remove them for their own use...you may consider placing an ad in the local
paper or neighborhood flyer,just a thought.
Major  destruction caused to septic systems  d/t bamboo and so expensive to get rid of.It is a big task ahead.

Hope you can solve some if not all of the issues confronting you before too long.
Good luck John.

Jumping in with a corn experience.  Mine were taken down by a woodchuck.  It ate the bottom of each corn stalk until it fell over.  I actually saw him take down the last stalk.  Last time I grew corn.

bpiela said:
Jumping in with a corn experience.  Mine were taken down by a woodchuck.  It ate the bottom of each corn stalk until it fell over.  I actually saw him take down the last stalk.  Last time I grew corn.
Oh, yeah, I forgot about woodchucks. Had one of those take out an entire row of okra once. Live trapped it in a Havahart using a piece of apple for bait.

Back