• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sawyer's 2013 Glog - Last Harvest/First Sauce

I haven't done a grow log before, but thought I'd give it a try this year. I'm growing mostly super hots, so I feel like I'm already behind schedule. Anyone know where January went? No pictures yet, I'll add some later when things (hopefully) start popping.

My setup is a basic home-made 2-tier 1" PVC plant stand. Each tier can accommodate 4 standard 1020 nursery flats and has three 2-bulb T-12 4' 40W fluorescent shop lights suspended above. The bulbs are a mix of Daylight, Wide Spectrum, and Power Twist. (I can't give you a K rating on these off the top of my head.) I use heater mats to try to keep the flats in the comfort zone for germination. They are wired to a dimmer switch so I can adjust the current. Even with the dimmer switch, in the past I've had trouble keeping uniform temperature, so this year I've put a layer of aluminum foil on top of the mats to spread out the heat and a layer of kraft paper on top of that. The flats go directly on the kraft paper. If anyone has any tips or tricks for controlling the temperature of heater mats (without purchasing an expensive thermostat), I'd love to hear about it.

I use standard 1020 nursery trays with 1206 (72-cell) inserts. I filled the inserts to planting depth with Sushine Mix #1 and planted anywhere from 2 (new) to 4 (old) seeds per cell. I then topped off the trays with some peat-based germination mix. I intended to use Fafard 3b germination mix, but didn't want to open a new bag for only four flats. I had a small bag of Miracle Grow and one of Ferry Morse left over from days past so I used one of those, I forget which.

The germination stand is in a back room in the warmest part of the house. As plants geminate and become established they'll be moved, either in whole flats, or potted out separately, to a 3-tier, 5 flat/tier stand in front of a bright picture window on the south side of the house. No lights on that yet and may not need them since the window gets direct sun for several hours per day. I'll be starting a lot of other seeds besides hot peppers, so I can't just leave them on the heater mats 'til plant out.

I started four flats today, one whole flat of self-propagated, pure-strain red Bhut Jolokia and up to 12 cells each of the following (note - I prefer the term 7 Pot to 7pod, but am keeping the 7pod nomenclature here out of deference to the vendor):

(First parenthesis is # of plants from first planting on 2/11, second is # plants/# soaked on 3/4)

Red Bhut Jolokia (my own isolated) (75)
Yellow Bhut Jolokia (PL) (0)
Brown Bhut Jolokia (PL) (1)
White Bhut Jolokia (PL) (8), (15/20)
Yellow Fatalii (RFC) (11), (6/10)
Giant White Habanero (RFC) (7)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga/Moruga Blend (PL) (10), (28/35)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga/Moruga Blend (RFC) (14)
T. Scorpion Moruga/Moruga Blend Yellow (PL) (6), (19/25)
T. 7pod Congo SR Gigantic (PL) (9), (2/7)
T. 7pod Large Red (PL) (4)
T. 7pod Large Yellow (PL) (1)
T. 7pod Brain Strain (PL) (10), (2/9)
T. 7pod Brain Strain Yellow (PL) (4), (11/12)
T. 7pod Brown (PL) (17)
T. 7pod Burgundy (PL) (8)
T. Douglah (PL) (5), (4/20)
T. Scorpion Butch T. (PL) (7)
T. Scorpion Yellow (PL) (18)
T. Scorpion Original Strain (PL) (1)
T. Seasoning (PL) (4)

New strains/sources started on 3/4:
Red Bhut Jolokia (PL) (45/50)
Scotch Bonnet Brown (PL) (22/34)
'12 7 Pot Yellow (RFC) (0/11)
'12 Bhut Jolokia Chocolate (PL) (0/14)
Datil (PL) (7/22)
Bhut Jolokia Orange (PL) (15/20)
T. Scorpion CARDI (PL) (7/20)
Tobago Treasure (PL) (8/20)

Started on 3/6:
Red Bhut Jolokia (own isolated) (>50)
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion (CPI) (13)
NuMex Pinata (CPI) (40)
White Bullet Hab (PL) (13)

Unrecorded plant date:
Orange Hab (PL) (2)
TS Cardi (PL) (7)
Dorset Naga (PL) (5)

Started on 3/25:
Yellow Bhut Jolokia (PL) - 8/?
Long Choco Habanero (AjiJoe) - 17/42
Pimenta da Neyde (PL) - 14/30
Giant Mexican Rocoto (PL) - 0/40
CAP 1144 (PL) - 0/21
(old) Yellow Habanero (Trade Winds) - 0/24
(old) Jamaican Red Mushroom (RFC) - 0/18
Trinidad Congo Red (PL) - 10/12
Datil (PL) - 9/22 (4 hh)
7 Pot Primo (PL) - 5/18
Early Jalapeno (PL) - 19/36
Cracked Jalapeno (PL) - 33/36
Large Hot Cherry (PL) - 33/36
Surprise Hot Mix (AjiJoe) - 97/144

Edit 4/3: add sources PL=pepperlover, RFC=Refining Fire Chiles, CPI=Chile Pepper Institute
Edit 4/3: (in blue)
Edit 4/29: Edit title (again)

Looking good, got some nice transplants there. The OW's are starting to come back nice too, looks like the will be pods in no time with those.

Good luck for the rest of the sowing, I feel ya on the wet seeds situation. If you are taking them out of the pots before they have the tap roots then may be try drying then with some kitchen paper before trying to pick them up and into the cells.

Good luck for the rest of your grow, will be popping back in for more of your progress.

Looking good, got some nice transplants there. The OW's are starting to come back nice too, looks like the will be pods in no time with those.

Good luck for the rest of the sowing, I feel ya on the wet seeds situation. If you are taking them out of the pots before they have the tap roots then may be try drying then with some kitchen paper before trying to pick them up and into the cells.

Good luck for the rest of your grow, will be popping back in for more of your progress.

Thanks, Pete. I actually did start blotting the wet seeds with a paper towel late yesterday to make them easier to handle. That helped a lot.

Just found this, Sawyer. That is an incredible list, and huge multiples of a number of great varieties. The seedlings you have look great! Must have been that early feeding. The 10-20-30 must be great for their root development. Glad to see the OWs waking up from their winter nap. Good luck on the continued germination! Are you ultimately going in ground or going for the ultimate container grow?

Just found this, Sawyer. That is an incredible list, and huge multiples of a number of great varieties. The seedlings you have look great! Must have been that early feeding. The 10-20-30 must be great for their root development. Glad to see the OWs waking up from their winter nap. Good luck on the continued germination! Are you ultimately going in ground or going for the ultimate container grow?

Thanks, Doc. I had to look back to see what I said about 10-20-30 and that is a typo. It was 10-30-20 (I edited and corrected that entry) and I'm only using that because that's what I have. I've got some nitrogen balance in the Osmocote 15-9-12 that's mixed into the starting mix, but there is very little of that. I'm glad you mentioned this, because I think I need to add a little urea to the water to bring up the nitrogen some more.

A lot of these will go in the ground, but I'll put some in pots, maybe as large as 5-gallons. I scored six 5-gal buckets recently, but am also looking at some of the white grow bags I've seen elsewhere on THP, or just regular nursery pots. I hope to sell a few of them locally, as well.

Edit: corrected typo

Nice job Sawyer. I have got to set aside time to catch up on everyones glogs. Lots of good stuff happening around here! Looks like you will have to look into a freezer or two when all those plants start producing. pp

Thanks, Shawn, I'm giving it a try. I hear you about the freezer, and not just for peppers. I think I'm going with something in the 15-17 cu.ft. range. I've got a spot all picked out for it. Now I just have to move all the crap that's occupying that space now, pour a slab, install some wiring...

Nice, nice Arkansasawyer . . . couldn't resist! Glad ya going inground with some. I need to probably ask which ones do well in pots, since I have some 5 gal. nursery pots now; I saw what grew tallest, had most root extension inground . . . have you looked into these in case you run out of inground space? http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/13391/containers I think there's a thread on THP about these root pouches as they air prune roots. I think am going for it on some that like pots. But probably going 15 gal. Might be overkill, not thrilled with filling the things but like the root air prune deal. Beautiful job, sweetie! ;)

Wait: that's supposed to be Arkansawyer: my bad! :doh:

Nice, nice Arkansasawyer . . . couldn't resist! Glad ya going inground with some. I need to probably ask which ones do well in pots, since I have some 5 gal. nursery pots now; I saw what grew tallest, had most root extension inground . . . have you looked into these in case you run out of inground space? http://www.greenhous...3391/containers I think there's a thread on THP about these root pouches as they air prune roots. I think am going for it on some that like pots. But probably going 15 gal. Might be overkill, not thrilled with filling the things but like the root air prune deal. Beautiful job, sweetie! ;)

Wait: that's supposed to be Arkansawyer: my bad! :doh:

Ha! Thanks, Annie. Yep, that's where "Sawyer" comes from. This is my first year with most of these strains, so I'll be learning a lot. I've had good luck with bhut jolokias in pots (in ground, too)... they have been virtually indestructible once established in pots. I've actually had better luck in pots in partial shade rather than out in the garden in day-long, full-intensity summer sun. (I'm resigned to using shade cloth on the in-grounds this summer.) From what I've read, I don't think I would try the yellow 7 Pots in pots, not 5-gallon pots anyway. I looked at the containers you linked and I like those, but they are out of my price range for the quantities I need. I manage to find a few 5-gal buckets for free now and then and I'm also looking at these grow bags. I may also get some regular 5-gal nursery pots from BWI at wholesale, but I forget the price at the moment. I like the idea of air-pruning, but don't those require more frequent watering? I can't keep up with watering as it is in the middle of our annual summer drought and heat wave.

Edit: Added an "is".

You're right with pots...bigger is better, but I grew almost all my plants last year in 5# with good success even with my Yellow 7 Pots. I have a few more plants I want to put into bigger containers this season, but most of the rest will go into 5# nursery pots. 5 gallon buckets hold more than 1.5 times what the "5 gallon" nursery containers do. I also picked up some 18 gallon round totes for a few select plants. They were about $6 each and I hope they grow some freaking monsters! The problem with them is they use almost an entire 64 qt bag of soil to fill...good luck with your choice.

Great job on the glog Sawyer - wow you're growing a lot of peppers. Being an inground guy, I don't know how people do so much in pots. It amazes me. I just get them in the ground and mother nature is more forgiving that way. The watering thing is an issue - every time I try in pots I forget to water a pot and it dries out and dies. And I'm in Michigan, so I can't imagine pulling that off in Arkansas.
Anyway, keep up the good work!

Great job on the glog Sawyer - wow you're growing a lot of peppers. Being an inground guy, I don't know how people do so much in pots. It amazes me. I just get them in the ground and mother nature is more forgiving that way. The watering thing is an issue - every time I try in pots I forget to water a pot and it dries out and dies. And I'm in Michigan, so I can't imagine pulling that off in Arkansas.
Anyway, keep up the good work!

Thanks, Andy. Mine will mostly be in ground, but I'm going to try some in pots, too (and sell and give away a few). My house is surrounded by large silver maple trees which give a nice, filtered shade. I'll put most of the pots in this shade. (But not directly on the ground, since the maples will send feeder roots up into the pots.)

The plants are off to a great start! Based on what you are growing I think we have similar taste in peppers.

Thanks, Stefan, I've been following your glog (and as many others as I can keep up with). Most of the varieties I'm growing this year are new to me. I know I like the flavor of the red bhut, but the heat is almost too intense for my neophyte tongue. Several I chose based on comments about flavor here on THP. Some are just for maximum capsaicin production; I need (relatively) pure cap for some projects I'm working on. Mostly, I just can't help myself. I'm toying with the idea of another seed order in another tab right now...

Thanks, Andy. Mine will mostly be in ground, but I'm going to try some in pots, too (and sell and give away a few). My house is surrounded by large silver maple trees which give a nice, filtered shade. I'll put most of the pots in this shade. (But not directly on the ground, since the maples will send feeder roots up into the pots.)

Thanks, Stefan, I've been following your glog (and as many others as I can keep up with). Most of the varieties I'm growing this year are new to me. I know I like the flavor of the red bhut, but the heat is almost too intense for my neophyte tongue. Several I chose based on comments about flavor here on THP. Some are just for maximum capsaicin production; I need (relatively) pure cap for some projects I'm working on. Mostly, I just can't help myself. I'm toying with the idea of another seed order in another tab right now...

Capsaicin project? Sounds interesting :)

Indeed you have quite a superhot collection.
Bhuts arr very harf to handle fresh, so hot you can't sense any flavor.
But red bhut powder is amazing stuff - now theres the flavor and a heat I can tolerate :)

My favorite is yellow fatalii, beautiful odour, tolerable heat and great flavour.

Good luck with your order, mine came in today
It was my third last seed order for this season :D

Sawyer, Just caught up with your glog. Great start, and I look forward to your season's progress. I'm from Joplin and spent a lot of time in NE Arkansas (Jonesboro-Walnut Ridge) as a kid. Not real familiar with NW part. Usually wound up in Oklahoma visiting family. It is certainly beautiful there! I have always regreted never fishing Bull Shoals. We did do Table Rock quite a bit and can't forget Silver Dollar City. It sure has changed since the 70's.

Good luck with your season
Mike

Capsaicin project? Sounds interesting :)

Indeed you have quite a superhot collection.
Bhuts arr very harf to handle fresh, so hot you can't sense any flavor.
But red bhut powder is amazing stuff - now theres the flavor and a heat I can tolerate :)

My favorite is yellow fatalii, beautiful odour, tolerable heat and great flavour.

Good luck with your order, mine came in today
It was my third last seed order for this season :D

Thanks, Robert. I'll fill in details on the cap. projects over time. Nothing revolutionary. Agreed on the red bhuts. They are my first and (so far) truest superhot love. Love the smell and taste of toasted bhut powder. I had a big harvest two or three years ago that tore me up processing them. I encountered Lourens' (PeriPeri) problem with the cap going right through nitrile gloves and that's when I remembered double-gloving from previous experience. Your comments on the fatalii perfectly exemplify why I added it to my grow list. I can hardly wait to try one. I should get my "last" order today or tomorrow.

Sawyer, Just caught up with your glog. Great start, and I look forward to your season's progress. I'm from Joplin and spent a lot of time in NE Arkansas (Jonesboro-Walnut Ridge) as a kid. Not real familiar with NW part. Usually wound up in Oklahoma visiting family. It is certainly beautiful there! I have always regreted never fishing Bull Shoals. We did do Table Rock quite a bit and can't forget Silver Dollar City. It sure has changed since the 70's.

Good luck with your season
Mike

Thanks, Mike. I've got some friends from NE AR. I grew up in SE AR and traveled around a bit before settling down in NW AR. I love the Ozarks and Ouachitas and the state's lakes are a cherished treasure.

Here's a quick update for everyone: I was worried I might have killed my entire second planting. As mentioned previously, none of them were showing tap roots after 4 or 5 days when I went ahead and planted them from wet coffee filter germination cups to the flats. At some point I realized I had moistened the filter paper with the same water I was using to water the seedlings and was also using this water to keep the newly-planted flat cells moist. This water had dilute 10-30-20 and STEM in it for the benefit of the growing plants and I have read that even dilute nutes can be bad for seed germination. HOWEVER, this morning I found a new yellow Brain Strain has popped up! These were among the first to germinate last go-round, so now I am optimistic about a new crop of seedlings.

Now I have a mea culpa to issue. That first yellow Brain Strain to pop that I reported back on 2/17 turned out not to be a yellow Brain Strain, or any kind of pepper for that matter. It was a weed, a pokeweed to be exact. I thought the sprout looked a little suspect at the time, and I suspect so did some of you. Thanks for your politeness to a relative newbie. Next time I trust you folks will call me on such things. (I'm sure this latest sproutling is, in fact, a yellow Brain Strain.

New pictures to follow this weekend.

Over 70ºF here by mid-morning. OWs are out sunning themselves. Pot-ups moved from under lights to sunny window. The 6 bhut OWs are looking better every day, all have at least some new foliage. I'm worried about the one Naga Morich OW. The stems are still green, but not much sign of leaf buds. The second raid by the thing that goes bump in the night may have done it in.

Over 70ºF here by mid-morning. OWs are out sunning themselves. Pot-ups moved from under lights to sunny window. The 6 bhut OWs are looking better every day, all have at least some new foliage. I'm worried about the one Naga Morich OW. The stems are still green, but not much sign of leaf buds. The second raid by the thing that goes bump in the night may have done it in.

BBQ'ed rat? Damn, we on the critter-Q-train on this site! ;)

I'm toying with the idea of another seed order in another tab right now...

I guess it was in someone else's glog that I mentioned this, but I have to come clean. Right after I made that post, I ordered more seeds :crazy: , yellow bhuts (I will not be defeated), Pimenta da Neyde (beautiful pepper), and Giant Mexican Rocoto (sounds like a wonderful sauce pepper). I also planted another flat of seeds a few days ago, unsoaked, straight to mix. They are old seeds so I'll update the grow list when/if they germinate.

BBQ'ed rat? Damn, we on the critter-Q-train on this site! ;)

Only the ones with the bushy tails. :lol:

There's nothing wrong with having more seeds..it's the having more space for the plants that's the problem. lol

Are you going to try a different germination method for the yellow bhuts this time? May be a few different methods to spread the risk so to speak.

Good luck with em anyway mate

Back