• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sawyer's 2013 Glog - Last Harvest/First Sauce

I haven't done a grow log before, but thought I'd give it a try this year. I'm growing mostly super hots, so I feel like I'm already behind schedule. Anyone know where January went? No pictures yet, I'll add some later when things (hopefully) start popping.

My setup is a basic home-made 2-tier 1" PVC plant stand. Each tier can accommodate 4 standard 1020 nursery flats and has three 2-bulb T-12 4' 40W fluorescent shop lights suspended above. The bulbs are a mix of Daylight, Wide Spectrum, and Power Twist. (I can't give you a K rating on these off the top of my head.) I use heater mats to try to keep the flats in the comfort zone for germination. They are wired to a dimmer switch so I can adjust the current. Even with the dimmer switch, in the past I've had trouble keeping uniform temperature, so this year I've put a layer of aluminum foil on top of the mats to spread out the heat and a layer of kraft paper on top of that. The flats go directly on the kraft paper. If anyone has any tips or tricks for controlling the temperature of heater mats (without purchasing an expensive thermostat), I'd love to hear about it.

I use standard 1020 nursery trays with 1206 (72-cell) inserts. I filled the inserts to planting depth with Sushine Mix #1 and planted anywhere from 2 (new) to 4 (old) seeds per cell. I then topped off the trays with some peat-based germination mix. I intended to use Fafard 3b germination mix, but didn't want to open a new bag for only four flats. I had a small bag of Miracle Grow and one of Ferry Morse left over from days past so I used one of those, I forget which.

The germination stand is in a back room in the warmest part of the house. As plants geminate and become established they'll be moved, either in whole flats, or potted out separately, to a 3-tier, 5 flat/tier stand in front of a bright picture window on the south side of the house. No lights on that yet and may not need them since the window gets direct sun for several hours per day. I'll be starting a lot of other seeds besides hot peppers, so I can't just leave them on the heater mats 'til plant out.

I started four flats today, one whole flat of self-propagated, pure-strain red Bhut Jolokia and up to 12 cells each of the following (note - I prefer the term 7 Pot to 7pod, but am keeping the 7pod nomenclature here out of deference to the vendor):

(First parenthesis is # of plants from first planting on 2/11, second is # plants/# soaked on 3/4)

Red Bhut Jolokia (my own isolated) (75)
Yellow Bhut Jolokia (PL) (0)
Brown Bhut Jolokia (PL) (1)
White Bhut Jolokia (PL) (8), (15/20)
Yellow Fatalii (RFC) (11), (6/10)
Giant White Habanero (RFC) (7)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga/Moruga Blend (PL) (10), (28/35)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga/Moruga Blend (RFC) (14)
T. Scorpion Moruga/Moruga Blend Yellow (PL) (6), (19/25)
T. 7pod Congo SR Gigantic (PL) (9), (2/7)
T. 7pod Large Red (PL) (4)
T. 7pod Large Yellow (PL) (1)
T. 7pod Brain Strain (PL) (10), (2/9)
T. 7pod Brain Strain Yellow (PL) (4), (11/12)
T. 7pod Brown (PL) (17)
T. 7pod Burgundy (PL) (8)
T. Douglah (PL) (5), (4/20)
T. Scorpion Butch T. (PL) (7)
T. Scorpion Yellow (PL) (18)
T. Scorpion Original Strain (PL) (1)
T. Seasoning (PL) (4)

New strains/sources started on 3/4:
Red Bhut Jolokia (PL) (45/50)
Scotch Bonnet Brown (PL) (22/34)
'12 7 Pot Yellow (RFC) (0/11)
'12 Bhut Jolokia Chocolate (PL) (0/14)
Datil (PL) (7/22)
Bhut Jolokia Orange (PL) (15/20)
T. Scorpion CARDI (PL) (7/20)
Tobago Treasure (PL) (8/20)

Started on 3/6:
Red Bhut Jolokia (own isolated) (>50)
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion (CPI) (13)
NuMex Pinata (CPI) (40)
White Bullet Hab (PL) (13)

Unrecorded plant date:
Orange Hab (PL) (2)
TS Cardi (PL) (7)
Dorset Naga (PL) (5)

Started on 3/25:
Yellow Bhut Jolokia (PL) - 8/?
Long Choco Habanero (AjiJoe) - 17/42
Pimenta da Neyde (PL) - 14/30
Giant Mexican Rocoto (PL) - 0/40
CAP 1144 (PL) - 0/21
(old) Yellow Habanero (Trade Winds) - 0/24
(old) Jamaican Red Mushroom (RFC) - 0/18
Trinidad Congo Red (PL) - 10/12
Datil (PL) - 9/22 (4 hh)
7 Pot Primo (PL) - 5/18
Early Jalapeno (PL) - 19/36
Cracked Jalapeno (PL) - 33/36
Large Hot Cherry (PL) - 33/36
Surprise Hot Mix (AjiJoe) - 97/144

Edit 4/3: add sources PL=pepperlover, RFC=Refining Fire Chiles, CPI=Chile Pepper Institute
Edit 4/3: (in blue)
Edit 4/29: Edit title (again)

Sawyer have you caught the rat yet or critter? Hope so … sounds frustrating :/ ... I just finished reading up and love your motto from post #79: “I Will Not Be Defeated,” that might make a nice glog name update :)

You're right with pots...bigger is better, but I grew almost all my plants last year in 5# with good success even with my Yellow 7 Pots. I have a few more plants I want to put into bigger containers this season, but most of the rest will go into 5# nursery pots. 5 gallon buckets hold more than 1.5 times what the "5 gallon" nursery containers do. I also picked up some 18 gallon round totes for a few select plants. They were about $6 each and I hope they grow some freaking monsters! The problem with them is they use almost an entire 64 qt bag of soil to fill...good luck with your choice.

You should be able to grow a sequoia (shortest word with all 5 standard vowels? "aerious" has them in order, but I'm not sure that's a word.) in those 18 gallons totes. The cost of the mix to fill such a large container will keep me from going that route. Last year's price for 5 trade gallon blow-molded pots from BWI was less than a dollar apiece and $1.67 each for the 7 trade gallon pots. The Viagrow 5 gallon grow bags run from 35¢ to 50¢ depending on where and how many. I think I'll try some of each to see what works best for me.

There's nothing wrong with having more seeds..it's the having more space for the plants that's the problem. lol Are you going to try a different germination method for the yellow bhuts this time? May be a few different methods to spread the risk so to speak. Good luck with em anyway mate

So far, space won't be a problem. I've got 5000 sq. ft. under cultivation and could till up another 5000, though it wouldn't be as good quality soil. I could find twice that space for plants in pots, but I hope it doesn't come to that. Time is the bigger problem. I hope to grow "regular" food, too, and then there's that matter of making a living. I may try something different with the yellow bhuts, but I think the main problem before was old seed that hadn't been stored properly. Maybe some in cups and some direct sow would be a good idea, though.

Sawyer have you caught the rat yet or critter? Hope so … sounds frustrating :/ ... I just finished reading up and love your motto from post #79: “I Will Not Be Defeated,” that might make a nice glog name update :)

Not yet. I did almost catch myself in the rat trap while ago when I was moving the OWs outside. Startled the crap out of me.

... ... I did almost catch myself in the rat trap while ago when I was moving the OWs outside. Startled the crap out of me.
Not sure what type you are using but I've found that the littlest ones work best for me but you have to attach a leash so the rat doesn't run away as the little one's don't kill them. I started using the small ones because the larger one's were constantly being set off and I'd miss the rat :/ BTW peanut butter is what I use as it stays on the trigger best like paste.

Not sure what type you are using but I've found that the littlest ones work best for me but you have to attach a leash so the rat doesn't run away as the little one's don't kill them. I started using the small ones because the larger one's were constantly being set off and I'd miss the rat :/ BTW peanut butter is what I use as it stays on the trigger best like paste.

Yep, peanut butter is what I use too...gets em everytime....although, I am lucky I don't catch my gal and the daughter with it...lol
They eat that stuff like it is the best thing on earth.

I set out both small and large traps, since I'm never really sure what I'm after. Peanut butter is the go to bait, though I have used strawberry preserves when I knew I was going after a rat. The last one I caught was in the full-sized rat trap and it didn't kill him, just pinned him down until I took care of things. (I hate that.) I think if he got caught in a mouse trap he would just do a few reps on the spring before moving on.

LOL, in college, the first house we rented had Norway rats, and Wood rats....man some of those guys were like small dogs! They would hang around in the garage and steal dog food. So we would get our semi-auto bb guns and all 4 of us would jump through the door and unload on them! Always got a few each mission...lol

Stupid rats....here, outside, it is the ground squirrels that are the enemy...and rabbits....and birds....and bugs.....

You should be able to grow a sequoia (shortest word with all 5 standard vowels? "aerious" has them in order, but I'm not sure that's a word.) in those 18 gallons totes. The cost of the mix to fill such a large container will keep me from going that route. Last year's price for 5 trade gallon blow-molded pots from BWI was less than a dollar apiece and $1.67 each for the 7 trade gallon pots. The Viagrow 5 gallon grow bags run from 35¢ to 50¢ depending on where and how many. I think I'll try some of each to see what works best for me.
Great crazy facts there! I usually mix up my own soil for the LARGE containers. Some peat, compost, perlite and soil from either the top few inches under the compost piles or old potting soil. I throw in a little cow manure, some bone and blood meal and mix it up. Afraid to use most of my compost and last year's potting soil this year due to virus issues from last year so I am stuck buying soil. Hope you catch the culprit soon! Too bad the don't leave prints like us humans with our subdermatoglyphic patterns...claimed to be the word with most unique letters (17)...but subgrandcomplexity (18) is also claimed. Don't think either is in a dictionary though??? Thanks for making me think tonight!

I almost went with bags this year...will be watching your choice to see how it works out for you!

Great crazy facts there! I usually mix up my own soil for the LARGE containers. Some peat, compost, perlite and soil from either the top few inches under the compost piles or old potting soil. I throw in a little cow manure, some bone and blood meal and mix it up. Afraid to use most of my compost and last year's potting soil this year due to virus issues from last year so I am stuck buying soil. Hope you catch the culprit soon! Too bad the don't leave prints like us humans with our subdermatoglyphic patterns...claimed to be the word with most unique letters (17)...but subgrandcomplexity (18) is also claimed. Don't think either is in a dictionary though??? Thanks for making me think tonight!

I almost went with bags this year...will be watching your choice to see how it works out for you!

I stick to soilless mix because of horticultural trade regulations here in Arkansas. I've found a number of documents detailing these regulations and they all are prefaced by something to the effect of, "these rules do not apply to plants grown in soilless media". Since I'm always open to the possibility of selling some of my plants, it behooves me to use soilless mixes. That said, if I were going to be filling such large containers as you, I would probably mix my own, too, just skip the compost and manure. In fact I have a couple of bales of peat and a bag or two each of vermiculite and perlite. I'm looking into some pine bark-based mixes for the 5 gallon containers and some tree pots I'm going to start shortly. I lost some valuable trees last year (chinquapin) growing in tree pots because of poor drainage from the peat-based mix.

Regarding linguistic diversions, this site can help you waste some time.

Another beautiful day here, weather-wise, 75ºF early afternoon. The OWs spent their first night outside last night, and are looking quite happy today. The 6 bhuts continue to leaf out and I think I see some hopeful signs on the Naga Morich.

The 3/4 and 3/6 plantings are starting to pop in earnest. I updated the OP with new numbers, but the new arrivals are:

(2) TS Moruga
(6) Yellow Brain Strain
(3) TS Moruga Yellow
(2) White BJ
(2) Giant White Hab (from the first planting)
(12) Pinata Jalapeno
(7) Orange BJ
(1) Datil

Interested to see how your Giant White Hab will turn out, from which source do yours come from? I have tried it from 2 different ones last season and both turned out something else. Trying it again this year with seeds from a reliable source. It's a variety that's quite hard to find the real deal.

I got the GWH from here. I hope they grow true, the story told at the linked site is quite interesting.

Interesting story yes, but is it true? :) Anyway, I got them from an Italian grower also, that has been growing it (isolated) for a couple of years now. I've grown the 7-Pot White last season so I know how it looks and taste. Hopefully I can get the GWH to produce so I can compare. Judging from the pictures I've seen, the pod shape is completely different from the 7-Pot White I have grown.

Interesting story yes, but is it true? :) Anyway, I got them from an Italian grower also, that has been growing it (isolated) for a couple of years now. I've grown the 7-Pot White last season so I know how it looks and taste. Hopefully I can get the GWH to produce so I can compare. Judging from the pictures I've seen, the pod shape is completely different from the 7-Pot White I have grown.

Yeah, who knows about the story? Do you have any pictures of your 7 Pot White pods? According to a couple of different places, the 7PW is just a renamed GWH, but if your pods look different, then maybe that's not the case. Another thing I read is that the GWH does best in partial shade/filtered sun, which means mine will likely go in pots under the silver maple trees.

If they are that sensitive, those giant whites would die here for sure! unless kept indoors.

The story is most likely true...RFC is a reputable site. Jim's place is not far from my house. Should go by and visit. Most of my plants that got some shade/filtered sun in the heat of the day did best and grew the biggest.

Isn't he over in El Cajon, or something like that? I grew up in Rancho San Diego / Spring Valley area.
Just over a hill from there.

Also lived close to you once upon a time, rented an apartment for a year, with a couple friends in Rancho Bernardo about 14 years ago.

Edit...looks like he is in Lakeside, my sister lives there....There is that back road that goes from Poway to Lakeside too....so not far at all from you!

Oh, and sorry for the off topic bit, in your glog.

Yeah....67 takes you right over to Lakeside. I think he supplies some local nurseries??? Anyway, never ordered from him but I hear good things.

[font=Helvetica Neue'][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]
Yeah, who knows about the story? Do you have any pictures of your 7 Pot White pods? According to a couple of different places, the 7PW is just a renamed GWH, but if your pods look different, then maybe that's not the case. Another thing I read is that the GWH does best in partial shade/filtered sun, which means mine will likely go in pots under the silver maple trees.

IMAG07472.jpg

IMAG0629_.jpg
[/background]
[/font]

[font=Helvetica Neue'][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]If you look at the bottom of the pods, the shape is like a flower/7pot to me. It's also more pumpkin like then Habanero like, but I just have to be patience and wait till summer when my plants will start to pod up. The pods were really white, it was a bit hard to get it right with my phone.[/background][/font]

Oh, and sorry for the off topic bit, in your glog.

No apology necessary; happy to facilitate.

[font=Helvetica Neue'][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]
IMAG0629_.jpg
[/background]
[/font]

[font=Helvetica Neue'][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]If you look at the bottom of the pods, the shape is like a flower/7pot to me. It's also more pumpkin like then Habanero like, but I just have to be patience and wait till summer when my plants will start to pod up. The pods were really white, it was a bit hard to get it right with my phone.[/background][/font]

Those look quite a bit like what this guy is calling GWH. The pepper shows up around timestamp :50 or so. Guess we'll wait and see.

Those look quite a bit like what this guy is calling GWH. The pepper shows up around timestamp :50 or so. Guess we'll wait and see.

Yes they do :) but from the pictures I've seen the GWH is smoother and looks more like a big red hab, but white of course :lol: Like you say, we'll just have to wait and see, but I'm intrigued by this variety!

Hey Sawyer,

Looks like your off to a great start. It's very interesting to browse all these glogs to see how people do things.

Have a great grow!

Scott

Back