• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

SBS purple ornamental

Steve got some seeds for it originally from Cambodia.
It had no name...
I don't know any other details - market pod or from someones garden,a wild or ?

Through the process of selecting the traits he liked in the different plants he grew over the years ,he got this plant and wanted to grow it out to see it's stability etc.
I don't think it was one of his Hybrids,it was probably grown from the seeds of plants that showed short season maturity and undoutably plant and pod coloring.

I think it was supposed to be stable at the time he sent me seeds.

I don't know what generation my seeds were from that Steve gave me.
It was just before he died.

Cool story. The plant is a stunner when mature. I have neighbors and family members wanting me to start plants for them next year.

15025609457_7b4ebb5ab6_c.jpg

What a gorgeous plant! I would love to grow that next year. My wife does not appreciate hot pepper plants, but would not mind a beauty like that in our yard!

That is one nice plant John, love the way it changes colors and its really outstanding when the pods are all ripe the purple in the leaves and stems really shows the ripe pods off.. It will keep Steve alive in all who grow it, really a nice pepper.

Definitely a gorgeous plant. Between the purple color of the plant and the varying color of the pods this plant is amazing. You could make some very colorful relishes or salsas with this. To pretty to turn into mash.

Quite a lovely plant and some gorgeous pictures. Thank you all.

A few questions, in the ground, how tall does it get? Wide?

Being new to the hobby, who is Steve? Is that who the SBS stands for?

Thanks all.

Pr0digal_son said:
Cool story. The plant is a stunner when mature. I have neighbors and family members wanting me to start plants for them next year.

I want you to start some plants for me as well and send them to me when they look like that  ;)  Amazing draw dropping photos and plant. 

I wonder if this variety will drop its leaves like some ornamentals do if exposed to cooler weather or retains them. my mother would love a plant like this she's been a chili head for over 70 years she will be turning 92 this December, I wonder if longevity could be added to the health benefits of peppers.

Pr0digal_son said:

Totally off topic here, but... did you take these shots with a Nikon 40mm micro lens? Shots are really superb!

Pr0digal_son said:
Any chance you have a couple seeds from this plant? If so please PM me I would love to grow them. Thank you

Back