seed-train Scorched Train 2015-2016

Thanks for the update and generosity Seacowboy, so far everyone has really outdone themselves and I truly appreciate it. It's hard to believe that after just 4 stops the sfrb is full and needs another cargo car. Usually the cargo is slim pickings until about the 6th rider or so. I really wanted this to be a success and I'm kinda just stunned how well this is already running so thanks to you guys/ladies! I can't wait to see this baby at the end.

The train is now on it's way down the tracks to someguy  CHOO CHOO

Oh and thanks for tossing in those Bahamian Goats Seacowboy! I hope some are left when they get here. I keep hearing good things about them and decided to add some to my grow.

The train came rollin' into Kansas this morning. OMFG!!  You guys and gals are in for a treat.I was impressed by the generosity of everyone. I wish I had space to grow each and every varitey on the train. I did find five varities that I really wanted. I added over 20 varities to the already massive amounts of seeds.

I shipped them out a little while ago.   9114 9012 3080 3274 1528 19      I ended up putting 2 sfrb's and an extra envelope into a padded flat rate evelope. It measures 9.5x12.5 inches. They are free at the post office. To mail this out it only cost $6.10 which is only 15 cents more than 1 sfrb. I don't think this is going to be enough if the trains keeps going like it is. May have to seek out other alternatives?

I would like to thank Scorched for starting this train. For your first train it is truly epic. Job well done. I would also like to thank everyone that has participated so far. It just goes to show how generous pepper people are.  Well the train is on it's way to Mike.

Choo Choo

Awesome just AWESOME is all I can think to say. You're welcome for starting the train but you guys and ladies are the ones who deserve the thanks, after only 5 riders this has become the largest train ever I could find on THP. It blows my mind. Hell when I finally decided to try and run one since no one else was I thought it probably wouldn't happen and no one or very few would sign up since I had only been here a couple of months and people would figure I was trying to get some free seeds. Came together in 2 days and here we are. I'm happy to conduct this train the best I can but all I really did was put a few varieties of seeds in a box and started a thread. You all are the super generous ones that have grown it to where it's at so Thank You! There's a thread here on THP called "pepper people are the best" and this here is just absolute proof of that.  :clap:

Great that the padded envelope costs just about the same as a regular sfrb to ship. I'm really glad you came up with that idea someguy. Thanks for putting an extra padded envelope in the train, I was going to ask you if you could and I completely forgot. If we could all please do the same just in case someone's post office doesn't have them or they're out. They're free just like the boxes. 

So thanks to someguy's great idea as well as quick turnaround the train is on its way to Wicked Mike with an extra empty train car and we didn't have any delays trying to find a new/bigger box. Choo Choo

hi guys, i just signed up to this site, live in  Tampa and started a hydroponic tomato garden 8yrs ago, its great but i started getting into growing hot peppers 4-5 yrs ago. its great but i dont have a ton of varieties . im a pharmacist so i have recieved some really weird varieties from customers from other countries that i have taken to festivals and they cant exactly identify all of them.Traded seeds with a guy in orlando who sent me some cool varieties  from jim duffy in san diego so i would love to get on this train thing or trade w/ anyone so i could get some new varieties to try in the next growing season. how could i get on this train or trade w/ some people thank-u

Slickric33, Welcome to THP!

This train is currently full and has limitations on who is eligible for it as far as postcount and membership length of time here.  The reason for that is because it's unfortunately rather common here for new posters to come in and ask for seeds and disappear, never to be heard from again...not so much as a thank you.  Having a big box of who knows how many seeds fall into the wrong hands can be demoralizing to say the least.  I believe there is a "newbie train" that is currently full as well but should be restarting before the next grow season.  If you're interested in joining seed trains, stick around, post a bit and get to know us so we can get to know you, plenty of time to do this before the start of the 2015 grow season.  THP is a great resource for many things and seeds is one of them, as well as growing techniques and hot sauce recipes...the list goes on.  I, for one, would like to hear more about your hydroponic peppers in the growing forum.  There are a lot of great seed vendors too that offer rare varieties for affordable prices, just check the Vendor Vault for member reviews.

slickric33 said:
hi guys, i just signed up to this site, live in  Tampa and started a hydroponic tomato garden 8yrs ago, its great but i started getting into growing hot peppers 4-5 yrs ago. its great but i dont have a ton of varieties . im a pharmacist so i have recieved some really weird varieties from customers from other countries that i have taken to festivals and they cant exactly identify all of them.Traded seeds with a guy in orlando who sent me some cool varieties  from jim duffy in san diego so i would love to get on this train thing or trade w/ anyone so i could get some new varieties to try in the next growing season. how could i get on this train or trade w/ some people thank-u

slickric33 said:
yeah look at wicked mikes newbie only seed train. you can get on there in a month or so.

Hello slickric33 and welcome to THP. I'm the conductor of the train and what ikeepfish and juanitos said is true. You need to have been a member for at least 3 months and have a post count of at least 100 but even then it's my decision who rides ( I won't tolerate anyone who might disrupt the train in any way). Almost every seed train has these rules in some form. A cool THP member named Wicked Mike (who is also a participant in this train) has a seed train for those who're new just like ikeepfish said so you might want to PM him or make a post in his train thread. Also be sure to make a post in the welcome thread so you can start to get to know people and they can get to know you. You will find everything and anything you need to know to grow and cook with chiles here. This place is full of amazing and awesome people and if you love growing and eating chiles you'll love it here.

Unfortunately it has to be this way since these trains normally collect a large number of seeds some of which can be very rare/desirable. Trains have been stolen before and sadly will be stolen again so rules have to be made in order to reduce the chance of this happening. Have a great one!

Well it turns out my rinky dink post office has no idea what a flat rate padded envelope is (well at least the newer girl doesn't know apparently). They didn't have any over with the boxes and doesn't look like any place for them. Luckily the main post office is only a few miles a way and I'll check there. I'm positive they have them. Anyway if everyone can let's definitely put an extra envelope in with the train just in case someone else runs into this problem and doesn't have another post office near by. I'm completely amazed over this but I guess it's the post office so I can't expect too much from them. To work at the post office and never have heard of one of their own shipping options is just funny as frick. I was told there's no such thing and I just walked out shaking my head and laughing. When I asked her, she had a look on her face like I'd asked her if she saw the purple elephant behind me. Have a great one everybody!

juanitos said:
lol shoulda pulled up on smartphone

Don't own one. I really hope she's working when I bring the damn thing in to ship out. I want to see the look on her face when this non existent padded flat rate envelope is right in front of her. It'll probably blow her mind. I understand being new but she's not that damn new, been there at least 3 months. And to work at someplace like the post office and not know about your shipping options? Come on. And then to tell me there is no such thing as a padded flat rate envelope. Seriously?? WTF??? I should post this in Lucky Dog hot sauces "grinds your gears" thread lol

Scorched said:
Don't own one. I really hope she's working when I bring the damn thing in to ship out. I want to see the look on her face when this non existent padded flat rate envelope is right in front of her. It'll probably blow her mind. I understand being new but she's not that damn new, been there at least 3 months. And to work at someplace like the post office and not know about your shipping options? Come on. And then to tell me there is no such thing as a padded flat rate envelope. Seriously?? WTF??? I should post this in Lucky Dog hot sauces "grinds your gears" thread lol
Are you in a rural area? Going to have my wife check for me on monday. Hopefully they have them.

Yep tiny town, not even really a town. I'm going to my main post office tomorrow but I also ordered a 10 pack of em for free from the USPS website just so I have em. As long as everyone can put an extra one in the train we should be covered for anyone that their post office doesn't have them or are out.

Hey guys, just a heads up: I'm out of town and will be for at least two weeks so do not, I repeat DO NOT send the seed train to me. My mailman has a tendency to just leave things lying in the front yard and it's raining cats and dogs in Miami.

I kid, I kid. Train's here. Going to dive into it now. Hoping to get it out tomorrow.

Wow! This train is hummin' right along!

Wicked Mike said:
Hey guys, just a heads up: I'm out of town and will be for at least two weeks so do not, I repeat DO NOT send the seed train to me. My mailman has a tendency to just leave things lying in the front yard and it's raining cats and dogs in Miami.

I kid, I kid. Train's here. Going to dive into it now. Hoping to get it out tomorrow.

You almost had me going, jerk.

:D

We have a pretty "rinky dink" post office here but they carry anything you'd need like PFRE (you like that one?)  However, there's one in the next county over that's in THE gas station that probably doesn't have any.  Fortunately I live within an hour of three cities if I ever needed anything.

Wow. Now that's an epic load of seeds, folks. By the way, Jason, great powders.

Okay, so good news and bad news. The bad news first: I didn't get it out yesterday as I had hoped to, but it'll go out tomorrow morning. On top of that, I ran completely out of poly bags and the case I ordered last Wednesday, shipped priority, won't get here until tomorrow. Luckily, some generous soul put some empty ones in the box (whoever that was, I thank you) and I was able to scavenge some from seeds people had sent me in the past.

I was able to make everything fit into one box. Here's what's going into the second box:

7 Pot Barrackpore
7 Pot Gigantic SR Chocolate
7 Pot Mustard
7 Pot White
Bhut Jolokia, Black
Bhut Jolokia, Peach
Bhut Jolokia, Red
Carolina Reaper
CGN 21500
CGN 21554
Chiclayo
Chinese Five Color
Chocolate Cherry
Clavo Red
Congo Red
Congo Yellow
Corno di Toro Giallo
Corno di Toro Rosso
Daisy Cutter
Defcon 7
Fatalii, Cream
Filius Blue
Finger Hot
Fresno
Gochu Cheon Wu Shin Jo
Habanero, Giant White
Habanero, Hot Paper Lantern
Hot Apple
Hot Ecuador
India Jwala
Jalapeño, Multicolor
Jimmy Nardello
NuMex Suave Orange
Pimenta Lisa
Scorpion, CARDI Red

There's also a good-sized bag of a seasoning powder, so dig in:

For the next rider (Mpicante), there's also some jerky and fresh pods.

CHUGGA CHUGGA

I had put some 2 x 3  4 mil bags in but not sure if those were mine or if someone else put bags in as well. I'll add more bags when the train comes to me. I ordered a box of 1000 and have 700 or so left so they'll last me awhile. I've ordered myself a box of 1000 smaller ones as well for small seed trades and such since the 2 x 3 are a bit big but I love the 4 mil thickness of em. Won't be long til I can check this baby out. I've got some crazy super hots packaged and ready to go in the train. One of them is the hottest if not tied for the hottest I've ever eaten.

Damn!  I am hoping I still have some unique seeds before the train gets to me.  If not I will get creative with some powders and/or rub.  

Back