• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

seacowboy 2014

Getting a late start on the glog here as was the case with starting my seeds as well.  Definetly learned a lot from last year and have tried to use that to make things better for this year, minus the later than planned start I am optimistic with how things are looking right now.  Just like last year I will be using my backyard garden for in ground plants along with some air pots and bags, then another batch of plants will be down at my hunting camp.  Differences for this year are using all Pro Mix HP in containers along with digging out each hole for all the in ground plants with a post hole digger to about 12" deep and mixing that in to the soil. Here at the house I have done away with other veggies since the deer demolished them just as they were getting good so its just going to be peppers, onions and corn here with ironically all the other stuff the deer love down at my hunting camp but they have so far (knock on wood) left our garden alone and just mow down the other farmers soy beans once they go in the ground.  Soil at the house was amended with 100 lbs of lime and 40 lbs of 10-10-10 and tilled in back in the fall then tilled again before planting out.

PKSR4OZ.jpg

Have quite the variety in the list this year from getting lots of pods for members here and ordering a few seeds from different places.  This is what I have and in no particular order, some are singles but overall I had good germ rates and only lost a couple to damping off while I was gone, all were seeded in groups of 4 starters with several seeds per when numbers allowed with thinning happening once things popped up and survived.  Soaked 2 trays in Myco Blast for 24 hours and another tray I did not soak for comparison, very easy to see the difference it made.  Had 2 mistakes with labeling so there are going to be a few Mystery plants too.

Red Brainstrain                           Yellow Brainstrain                     Yellow Fatalii                      Red Fatalii                  Fatalii x Cleos Dragon
7 Pod Red Large                         7 Pod Yellow Congo SR           Primos                               Jonah                          Infinity
Fish                                             Goat                                          Douglah                             Scotch Bonnet            MOA
Chocolate Hand Grenade           Manzano                                   Brown Trinidad Scorpion  Chocolate Habenero   Serrano
Red Douglah                               Tepin                                         Bubble Gum                      Yellow Bhut                 Peach Bhut
Jalepeno                                     Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion    Chocolate TS x Butch T    Datil                            Brad's Bahamian
Madballz                                     Carbon Bhut                             Trinidad Scorpion              Peach TS                    Douglah x Trinidad Scropion

Seeds started on 3/12/14

VTn7u2s.jpg

fAwKt7Y.jpg

KMYJQB0.jpg

Have 45 plants here with room for another 11.  Used 3' spacing on each in the row and 3.5' between rows with them offset to give a bit more space, if and when I need to I will trim to keep room to walk the rows. No topping or pruning has been done so far since they haven't gotten big enough, would have liked to have done that but with my late start it is what it is and they had to go in the ground before I returned to work for my next 21 day rotation. These went in 4/25 and were given a healthy dose of Fish/Seaweed Fertilizer, Myco Blast, Soil Blast and Humic Acid once they went in and are not showing any signs of transplant shock, a little sun burn on a few but overall the plant out seems to have gone great.
uAo4F41.jpg

13 Pots so far and they already look like they are doing better than the in ground stuff and it hasn't even been a week.  Have a few more pots to add as the seedlings get bigger and I harden them off later in May when I am back home.
Gxrxo97.jpg

The row on the right is the pepper plants, 32 planted in there again with 3' spacing on each side, with a row of sunflowers planted to the right.  On the left is 50 some tomato plants, then a few rows of potatoes left of that with beets between those rows and 2 rows of onions on the far left, squash, cucs, watermelon are planted on the far right, with several rows of beans planted in side garden.

So thats about it, will get updates from the wife while I'm gone and a friend down at the hunting camp to see how things are going there.  Wishing everyone lots of luck with their grow and if anyone wants to swap some seeds from the above listed plants I can let you know if I have extras.

Pulled everything out of the main garden yesterday and ran the tiller to get prepped for my first shot at a winter cover crop.
20141006_145715.jpg

Next comes all picking and sorting...
20141006_145719.jpg

About 7 hours later I'm done. That plus another 2 bushels at least of green pods, going to pick up a few naners to speed the process along.

Attachments

• 20141007_122440_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    20141007_122440_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 60
Had rain the day after I put the seed in and more today. Think I saw a few sprouts earlier today. Been a lot of working finishing up the season and processing so many peppers. Was all going good till a couple hrs ago when finishing up the 6 gals of mash I made. Pulled immersion blender up a bit too high and of course straight into my right eye. Took just over an hour before I could open it up.

Back to work for 3 weeks in the morning, called us all back 5 days early, sucks.

Loved the pool shot.  What a nice looking color wheel.

Processing that many would be a long effort.  Sorry to hear about the splash in the eye.  I know that must have hurt.

bpwilly said:
Loved the pool shot.  What a nice looking color wheel.

Processing that many would be a long effort.  Sorry to hear about the splash in the eye.  I know that must have hurt.
Thank you. The pain was pretty bad, didn't know when it would stop, used palmolive, milk, saline drops it just wouldn't quit.

The wife is glad the pepper season has come to an end. But that just means its time for ducking hunting now!

Ouch on the eye splash!

Never have had that happen and don't ever want to go there either!

Good luck on the duck hunting, very addictive ;)

Temps are still staying warm enough to keep the pods coming. Wife picked a handful this morning and the cover crop stuff is sprouting. Its a little patchy but I'm not gonna complain seeings how I spread the seed and raked it in at about 0230 after just a couple adult beverages.
IMG_1854.jpg

IMG_1853.jpg

Has a lot to fill in but something is better than nothing. See if the damn deer leave it alone or not. Betting the stick and string will get some action in the backyard soon...

I planted rye last weekend, it's already sprouting.

Speaking of deer, I filled two feeders this morning. Been seeing does walk through, hope they bring a buck in.

You planted Vetch right? It looks like it actually grows, the Crimson Clover grows way too slow for me. It came right up, but then it just sits there.

Daikon (Oilseed) Radish, Austrian Winter Peas,Fava Bean Windsor Raw, LTD Cowpeas Red Raw, Oats Cayuse White, Garden Legume Mix Inoculate.

You will be impressed in the spring!

I'm glad to see so many people planting cover crops this fall ;)  Not only do they keep the nutes from leaching they provide nice compost for the next season.

I usually till mine under 30 days before starting the garden to make sure I kill the cover growth, and it usually takes more than one till. You may have a winter kill due to temps...

Back