• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

seacowboy 2014

Getting a late start on the glog here as was the case with starting my seeds as well.  Definetly learned a lot from last year and have tried to use that to make things better for this year, minus the later than planned start I am optimistic with how things are looking right now.  Just like last year I will be using my backyard garden for in ground plants along with some air pots and bags, then another batch of plants will be down at my hunting camp.  Differences for this year are using all Pro Mix HP in containers along with digging out each hole for all the in ground plants with a post hole digger to about 12" deep and mixing that in to the soil. Here at the house I have done away with other veggies since the deer demolished them just as they were getting good so its just going to be peppers, onions and corn here with ironically all the other stuff the deer love down at my hunting camp but they have so far (knock on wood) left our garden alone and just mow down the other farmers soy beans once they go in the ground.  Soil at the house was amended with 100 lbs of lime and 40 lbs of 10-10-10 and tilled in back in the fall then tilled again before planting out.

PKSR4OZ.jpg

Have quite the variety in the list this year from getting lots of pods for members here and ordering a few seeds from different places.  This is what I have and in no particular order, some are singles but overall I had good germ rates and only lost a couple to damping off while I was gone, all were seeded in groups of 4 starters with several seeds per when numbers allowed with thinning happening once things popped up and survived.  Soaked 2 trays in Myco Blast for 24 hours and another tray I did not soak for comparison, very easy to see the difference it made.  Had 2 mistakes with labeling so there are going to be a few Mystery plants too.

Red Brainstrain                           Yellow Brainstrain                     Yellow Fatalii                      Red Fatalii                  Fatalii x Cleos Dragon
7 Pod Red Large                         7 Pod Yellow Congo SR           Primos                               Jonah                          Infinity
Fish                                             Goat                                          Douglah                             Scotch Bonnet            MOA
Chocolate Hand Grenade           Manzano                                   Brown Trinidad Scorpion  Chocolate Habenero   Serrano
Red Douglah                               Tepin                                         Bubble Gum                      Yellow Bhut                 Peach Bhut
Jalepeno                                     Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion    Chocolate TS x Butch T    Datil                            Brad's Bahamian
Madballz                                     Carbon Bhut                             Trinidad Scorpion              Peach TS                    Douglah x Trinidad Scropion

Seeds started on 3/12/14

VTn7u2s.jpg

fAwKt7Y.jpg

KMYJQB0.jpg

Have 45 plants here with room for another 11.  Used 3' spacing on each in the row and 3.5' between rows with them offset to give a bit more space, if and when I need to I will trim to keep room to walk the rows. No topping or pruning has been done so far since they haven't gotten big enough, would have liked to have done that but with my late start it is what it is and they had to go in the ground before I returned to work for my next 21 day rotation. These went in 4/25 and were given a healthy dose of Fish/Seaweed Fertilizer, Myco Blast, Soil Blast and Humic Acid once they went in and are not showing any signs of transplant shock, a little sun burn on a few but overall the plant out seems to have gone great.
uAo4F41.jpg

13 Pots so far and they already look like they are doing better than the in ground stuff and it hasn't even been a week.  Have a few more pots to add as the seedlings get bigger and I harden them off later in May when I am back home.
Gxrxo97.jpg

The row on the right is the pepper plants, 32 planted in there again with 3' spacing on each side, with a row of sunflowers planted to the right.  On the left is 50 some tomato plants, then a few rows of potatoes left of that with beets between those rows and 2 rows of onions on the far left, squash, cucs, watermelon are planted on the far right, with several rows of beans planted in side garden.

So thats about it, will get updates from the wife while I'm gone and a friend down at the hunting camp to see how things are going there.  Wishing everyone lots of luck with their grow and if anyone wants to swap some seeds from the above listed plants I can let you know if I have extras.

Have made it definite yet but most likely hairy vetch, clay peas, and rye. Definitely doing garden at the house and will do at least a 20' x 125' area at hunt camp for my stuff next yr. Had a few nights down into the 40's this wk but the temps have come back up. Will look at long range forecast before I pull the trigger.

She has really helped this year from watering and moving lights during germ and seedling stage, watering throughout and now picking peppers and helping me process them for sauce and the dehydrator. At first she just figured it would speed the process up so we would have more time together but then she realized she actually got some enjoyment from it too. No complaints from me for sure.

Devv said:
Glad the wife is enjoying it, it's great downtime for the brain.

Hey, we got 1.7"s of rain last night, a total surprise!
Was gonna ask you if you were getting any. Crossed the gulf this week and it poured the entire way across. Been getting a lot here in Beaumont all day as well.

Hey Jason, great looking pods and plants and all around good gardening skills.  Your plants were still rather small in June and by August are producing pods.  I wish I could grow like that just don't have the soil built up yet so still growing in pots.  Good job with the brown bbg7 very cool looking pods and nice find in your pepper patch.  This is why a pepper forum works so well when we find new varieties and can share like we live next door to each other.  Pepper people are the best! May you always find the same safe harbor you left from my friend, standing by.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Hey Jason, great looking pods and plants and all around good gardening skills.  Your plants were still rather small in June and by August are producing pods.  I wish I could grow like that just don't have the soil built up yet so still growing in pots.  Good job with the brown bbg7 very cool looking pods and nice find in your pepper patch.  This is why a pepper forum works so well when we find new varieties and can share like we live next door to each other.  Pepper people are the best! May you always find the same safe harbor you left from my friend, standing by.
Thank you. Been scoping out your glog for awhile but haven't had a chance to chime in. Your grow is going mighty fine as well. Been lucky this year on the soil in the garden, did some minor amending with ferts and lime before the season and been on a regular regimen of fish/seaweed fert during the grow season with aact mixed in while I'm home and it seems to have worked out quite well. The potted plants all got organically mixed goodies and the same fert and aact as the garden and again doing fairly well, I didn't get them into pots as early as I would have liked but can't complain with the results so far. As PG/Rich says "feed the soil", it is working.

See you do a bit of fishing also, I used to run charters out of Canaveral but never got up to your neck of the woods. Been lucky this year dodging storms, hopefully they steer clear for another few weeks then the cold fronts start up.

Got home late last night in a downpour so I had to wait till this morning to scope things out. Overall things are great. However something has killed several of my smaller plants. Can't see any buggies except what I think is an assassin beetle, so maybe he came  into the party a little too late. No biggies though since those plants weren't producing much. All the other plants are loaded with pods but looking like they need a little fert action, debating rather or not to make up 1 last batch of aact and go heavy on ferts for a final push, may just let it ride since its getting late.

Since it finally quit pouring after lunch I spent a couple hrs picking pods till my back said to take a break. Picked right about 12 gals and still have at least 15 plants that I haven't touched yet. Little bit of everything mixed in there. Have a dehydrator full to grind tonight and then restock after throwing pods on the smoker tomorrow. 

Think I need a bigger table!
20140925_155208.jpg

Being lazy on looking up assassin bug, is it?
20140925_154018.jpg

We cleared out the garden at the hunt camp yesterday of my remaining pepper plants, red and sweet taters. Didn't nearly as many peppers as I thought I would but still pretty good, @ 1.25 bushels plus a .5 bushel of unripe pods. 1.5 bushels of sweet taters and 2 bushels of reds. There's probably another 3 bushels of reds in the ground since the jack leg neighbor put the plow as deep as it would go and turned the rows under. Majority of what we did get was hand dug before his plowing demolition, some people just will not listen. Anyhow I think we all ended up with enough to last till next year. Ran the spring tooth harrow afterwards and now I will follow up a winter cover crop that was supposed to have already been delivered but is late so another trip down once bow season opens up next weekend, damn thats horrible...

20140929_073602.jpg

20140929_134717.jpg

20140929_090118.jpg

Attachments

• 20140929_073614.jpg
    20140929_073614.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 53
Missed your last post, looks like youve been very busy over there bud. Nice harvests on both. Looks like the processing will contiune for a while. Good luck on the hunt!

Take care and get some rest

Thank you guys. Wish they could stay in. Its a good sized plot that I plan on doubling the number of peppers in next year to at least 70. No Scott I won't be ow'ing any of them. Made picking easier on the back and since we were going to prep the soil I wanted them out of the way.

Of course the package of cover crop seeds came later than planned arriving about an hour after I got home. Will see what the forecast says but guessing my plants at the house have about a week more to do their thing then their gone. Picked up a tiller from a friend so a little soil prep and then the seeds go in and wait for January to start over. Will let the potted plants go until their dead except the Chocolate Bubblegum will get brought in to see if I can keep it going for next year.

Well at least the seed got there! My cover crop is up, the Clover, it's slow going but they are starting to kick a bit. I knew from last year they were slow, which is why I planted when I did.

I'm hoping for some fall pods from the remaining plants....we'll see.

You had a great season! Especially with the time constraints you have.

I give it an A+!

Thanks buddy. Vast improvement from last year. Learned a lot and will keep tweaking things along the way. And damn it if I didn't plant your 'funky reaper' seeds this year, but be sure those and the other 2 will be kicking in the spring!

Finally some isolated pods have ripened but with a little coloring variation, still a few more to change over.

20141001_105328.jpg

happy to get my first M.O.A's to turn, have lot a ton to slugs, been too wet to keep up with putting out DE constantly. Their not prime shape but they will still taste excellent. Then the B.O.C and a damn good looking Jay's Peach, killer pods.

20141001_105435.jpg

Back