• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Secret Ingredient Throwdown - Mango!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Salsalady's Seared Ahi with Mango Habanero sauce, Mango-Black Bean salad and Mango Rum drinks

Here's the ingredients- plus a couple others I forgot to include or decided I needed while cooking-
5thgradeband050710001.jpg

The sauce is a reduction of-
2 mangoes, shallots, ginger, garlic, fresh lime juice, honey, orange juice and orange habanero.

the salad is-
black beans, 2 mangoes, red bell pepper, purple onion, green jalapeno, cilantro, ginger, garlic, fresh lime juice, pinch of salt. This salad is a great cool offset to the hot ahi and sauce! The mango juice was the only dressing needed, with a splash of lime. YUMMY!

Here's these 2 at prep stage-
5thgradeband050710003.jpg

And the finish!
There's a drink for the salsakid made with mango, coconut milk OJ and ice on the right.
And on the left is the grown up drink made with mango, mango rum, coconut rum, regular rum, oj, coconut milk, ice. It sounds like it should be really sweet, but the OJ tones down the sweetness to make it a good pairing with the spicy entree.

The Ahi was sprinkled with salt, pepper, and fatalli powder, then cooked in a hot pan. I had to do it a little more done than what some folks do their tuna, but we're the ones eating it. The mango sauce was PERFECT for the seared ahi! All in all a delightful Mother's Day lunch, even if I did have to cook it myself.
Enjoy!
5thgradeband050710004.jpg

5thgradeband050710009.jpg

YEAHHHHHHH!!!!!! THAT LOOKS AWESOME SALSALADY!!!!! Good job!

There have been some awesome entries. Only 25 mins left!

Thanks, FD4.

I haven't been able to post many compliments about all the entries, I was hurrying to get it done and in! Kept re-assuring myself that 5pm East = 2pm West coast. Now I can relax and enjoy another mango-rum special. I know, it's only 1:00, but it's Mother's Day, and I figure that if we'd have gone out for brunch, I'd be drinking mimosas or something anyway. :) And besides! It's (almost) 5:00....East Coast!

Everything looks SOOO GOOD! Even the sneaky cell phone picture- LOL!

Can you imagine what the tables would look like if there was ever a THP pot luck? OMG! I would travel for that one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back