• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

serrano sauce or powder?

I've got about a half bag in the freezer and several ripening on the plant and I'm torn on how to use them. Should I dehydrate and grind them into a powder or should I make a sauce?

Whatcha think? Suggestions or comments?

Half a bag sounds small for either. I guess make a sauce you will use up quickly.

I've got about a half bag in the freezer and several ripening on the plant and I'm torn on how to use them. Should I dehydrate and grind them into a powder or should I make a sauce?

Whatcha think? Suggestions or comments?

I'd leave the bag in the freezer and use the fresh for grinding. Chile pods that have been roasted have a long shelf life in a freezer. Drying the fresh chile to use as a powder will be very flavorful. Using the frozen chiles will make a good sauce, and all you need to do is remove the skin, and membrane/seeds if they are too hot for you're taste. It's all good my friend.

Yes, the freezer bag is only half full but there are lots more on the plant that will be ready in the next week or two. I've only got 1 plant going to it's going to take a LONG time to get a huge quantity.

Thanks for the suggestions. Hmm...I'm still not quite sure.

Made a really good sauce with 1.5 lbs Serranos, 1.5 lbs Jalapenos, 1 lg Sweet Onion, 3 lg Cloves Garlic and 1/2 cup Cider Vinegar. Ran everything through the food processor to make a mash, put it into a zip lock bag and put it in the Fridge for 2 weeks. After that add water and boiled for 30 minutes then into the blender. Boil again for 30 minutes and bottle. It's a great pretty universal sauce but as my wife and one daughter cant handle any heat and I have to make mild chili I use it to bring the heat up on mine. I rally love the back heat that you get from Serranos. Really great for Chili making. Enjoy

Back