• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SETHSQUATCH GROW BIG LOG WITH puny hammer

Ok. I'm in the ring. This is really my first year growing from seed and may as well be my first year ever. Last year we had a bag garden (which was pretty weak), and Justaguy contributed a couple of bucket plants later in the season (awesome).

So, just to get this out in the open early, I'm a little OCD. DANGER PLANTS! DANGER! FLEE FROM THE FURRY ONE! My natural tendency is to, well, let's just call it over-love my plants. "You like fertilizer? Well you'll love it straight from the bottle!"

One of my bigger hurdles is to just let the plants do their thing. I mean, I have grown up in a culture of drive-thru instant gratification, which doesn't exactly breed patience… But I'm working on it. Trying to tread gently through the grow instead of STOMP STOMP TEAR BREAK YELL. So far, so goodish?

Well I currently have 93 babies and about that many more in the germination station. Did I mention I like to go all out when starting a project? Does my car need a ejector seat and a rocket engine? Absolutely. Do I need cybernetic appendages and the ability to shoot lasers from my eyes? Most definitely.

Sooooooo. 93 plants. Alive and growing under lights. Here is my count as of this morning.

Scorpion (Moruga) (Justaguy)- 11
Scorpion (Butch T) (Alphaeon by way of Jstaguy)- 7
Brain Strain
(Justaguy) - 1
Yellow 7 pot/pod (Justaguy) - 3
Douglah (cmpman) - 8
Fatalii (Pepper Guru)- 8
Avery Island Tabasco - 4
Thai Fire
(Justaguy) - 13
Caribbean Red Habanero (Justaguy) - 26
Aji Yellow (Aji Joe) - 6
Naga x 7 pot/pod cross (Justaguy) - 1
Chinese Cabbage, Autumn Torch Hybrid - 3
Unknown pepper - 4

Here is a list of what's in the germination station right now.

Bhut Indian Carbon x Yellow 7 cross (Spicegeist by way of MJdiamond)
Criolla De Cocina (MJdiamond)
Biker Billy Jalapenos
Tabasco
Early Girl Tomatoes
Genovese Basil
Cilantro
Broccoli
Chinese Cabbage Autumn Torch Hybrid

Poblano
Cayenne
Hot Cherry
Dill
Nu mex

My initial germination of the first round of seedlings was done in peat pellets. They came with the tray so I figured I'd use them. NEVER AGAIN. Those things were a real pain in the ass to keep properly moistened. As soon as I could, I removed my sprouts from them and transferred into seed starting mix. Lost a few on the way but nothing to worry about. It's pretty likely I will be sharing some of these plants with some friends the way it is.

I kept my light on 24/7 for the first 2 weeks and then switched to an 18/6 cycle. Right now I am top watering and misting as needed. I was told that top watering helps get rid of all the bad buildups in the soil. Don't know if that's true or not, but whatever. I am trying to base my watering on tray weight. For nutrients I am using Pro Bloom, Liquid Karma, and a weekly compost tea brewed for 24 hours with an air stone in a bucket. All of my water also sits out for at least 24 hours before use to eliminate any chlorine.

Now, I really want to switch soil at this point but I am going to resist. For one, it costs more than I can swing right now.

My setup has evolved from one 2 bulb light fixture to a modified in ceiling fluorescent donated and wired by Justaguy. I drilled some holes, added u-bolts, and used carabiners and chains to hang the fixture from the bar in the closet. This way I can adjust as needed for light height. I can raise one side higher as well if necessary, which is also nice. I have some reflective film on the back wall and closet door to help recapture and reflect some of that escaping light. That's it. My setup.

Here are some pics. I will update with a million questions, and progress as I am able. My next post will probably be showing my outside grow area once the damn rain stops and I can snap some pictures. Anyway, thanks for looking.

Initial setup:

Upgrade:

Peppers 2/29/12 (just one tray but they are pretty similar):

Seth, what does this mean? " I have been putting a mark on the root rip ones to test and see if they grow better than the smoother pot ups." It's the second line in post #50.

Thank you sir.
The ones that he was not so delicate transplanting? Marking them to see if they grow better or worse than his finer efforts.

Yes. Exactly what ProdigalSon said. On my labels I am adding an additional mark in the top right to see if my ripping of the roots make a difference in growth progress. I'm sure you have transplanted several yourself. You can feel the roots tugging and ripping when they get stuck in the container. Some of my plants slide out smooth, others have been rougher. Just trying to see if it makes a difference or not. I have read many posts talking about root systems actually getting stronger from the stress. Now I want to see if that is the case for my plants or not.

I suspect it would be... I saw a number of Aji's that were topped, and where they were cut, two new stalks formed in place of the original one... My understanding of roots is that they will likely do the same.

Still is an interesting project, and process though for sure!

I suspect it would be... I saw a number of Aji's that were topped, and where they were cut, two new stalks formed in place of the original one... My understanding of roots is that they will likely do the same.

Still is an interesting project, and process though for sure!

I need to read up on the cutting/pruning stuff. I would like to get denser plants. I just figured out how to prune the sucker branches on tomatoes so I am a little behind.

When I started growing this season, I read everything I could possibly get my hands on, including the last three years worth of posts here in glogs, in growing hot peppers, and in a couple other forums I am lurking or posting in.

There is entirely too much data bumping around up there. Just hope I remember it all when its needed :).

Ken

When I started growing this season, I read everything I could possibly get my hands on, including the last three years worth of posts here in glogs, in growing hot peppers, and in a couple other forums I am lurking or posting in.

There is entirely too much data bumping around up there. Just hope I remember it all when its needed :).

Ken

Ha! I hear you. Been reading all this stuff for about a year now. Total info overload. Now I am to the point where I am just doing specific searches geared towards specific things. Still quite an overload. I wish there were more pinned "go to" topics on some of this stuff. Like starting seeds, transplanting, pruning, fertilizing, average plant size, garden spacing, and a million others. There is a light, overwinter, and soil thread stickied and they are awesome. Dreamers can dream.

I had to kick some of the older kids out. Not enough beds in the house anymore. I have got 45 of these really big dudes on the porch. This is there new home until I plant them out. Been working on framing in the beds with landscape timbers so I can have defined areas and then straighten out the yard and clean up all the rocks and such for mowing. Just a quick update!

Did a quick inventory this morning too.

BIG GUYS IN 4" POTS
CRH - 22
Scorpion Morouga - 10
Scorpion Butch T - 6
Douglah - 8
Fatalii - 9
Avery Tabasco - 3
Tabasco - 6
Thai Fire - 12
Yellow 7 - 3
Mystery Pepper - 3
Brain Strain - 1
Naga M x 7 Pot - 1
Aji Yellow - 6

That's a grand total of 91 big guys

SEEDLINGS STILL IN STARTER POTS
CRH - 4
Tabasco - 10
Cayenne - 3
Cherry - 7
NM 6 - 2
Poblano - 5
Biker Billy - 8
Bhut I.C. x Yellow 7 - 4

43 more little guys…

It's a good problem to have but man, next year I will be better in planning. This year a bunch of friends are getting some free healthy starts!

Chili Cheers,
Squatch.

Your pot-ups look strong, Seth!

Your pot-ups look strong, Seth!

Thanks Paul! I am very happy with them. I left a fan on them 24-7 and they can take a beating. My son has dropped some of them and the seem to be impervious to wind and concrete. Just need to get them sun ready so I can free up some space!

Hey Seth those guys are looking great. I like the lanscape ties idea, if I settle on in ground, vice raised beds, I am totally stealing that from ya. :lol:

Where is the Naga x 7 pot from? I got one growing that I pulled out of a pod that I got from Chad S. Where are yours from?

Hey Seth those guys are looking great. I like the lanscape ties idea, if I settle on in ground, vice raised beds, I am totally stealing that from ya. :lol:

Where is the Naga x 7 pot from? I got one growing that I pulled out of a pod that I got from Chad S. Where are yours from?

Steal away! I took it from Justaguy. He is also the one I got my seed from. He brought over two sprouts one day and planted them. A Brain Strain and the Naga M - 7 pot. I'll ask him next time I talk to him.

The timbers are in essence more of a border for the mower. Also going to be putting up chicken wire fencing with stakes around the perimeter. Groundhogs and bunnies abound. The timbers are a relatively inexpensive way to go though. 4 bucks a pop for an 8 footer. I have another bed that is going to be just for the herbage and is made from 2 of the landscape timbers cut in half and put together in a nice little square. I'm using brackets all around to join them and just letting their combined weight hold them in place. Justaguy/Brian used spikes and staked his into the ground. His method is probably still up in his 2011 GLOG if you are looking for other inspiration.

It feels kinda like big kids lincoln logs...

Thanks for stopping over MG. I have been watching your GLOG with interest! Oh, and again CONGRATULATIONS! Kids are awesome (at least mine is when he isn't being unawesome). Now that my son is 3 (just turned 3/10) He is really getting into the garden helper thing. He calls the plants "pretty" and says "can I touch them"? It's some funny stuff. Then he drops one. Not so funny. :shocked:

Looking great. Guess I should get some outside pics in mine.
Sweet list of babies.

Trade thoughts flowing. :lol:

Remember fire lights at 5pm on Saturday. Explosions til 10

Man. Been forever since I posted. This time of year is very busy. Add to that a new diet, new dog, needy three year old, work, quitting smoking, and quitting caffeine you could end up going bat shit crazy. But I'm hanging in there and so are my plants.

First, veggie bed ready to go. Only got a few things out right now. Need to get more out. Hopefully tomorrow.

Next, herb bed. A little 4x4 area for herbs and root veggies. I removed and replaced the soil two feet down so there are no rocks. Gotta plant out here soon too.

Third, the new fire pit living in my pepper bed. Until eviction which will hopefully be next week. The pit is only a 35 incher but is perfect for my little yard. FIRE FIRE!

And now, the babies acclimating on my porch.

Finally, the new family member. Bronson. They said it was a Lab/Weimaraner mix. We think he is a Doberman/Lab mix. Great dog. Potty trained, super loving, good with my 3 year old, just needs some basic obedience training. Working on that too.

He is totally sacked out here. Funny guy.

Thanks for looking.

Seth ROCK ON DUDE!!!!!! The yard and plant/herb beds look wonderful and cool firepit! Looks like fun! Plants look healthy too. Bronson is a very handsome dog and looks well adjusted. Good luck on your many changes in life and getting your plants in the ground.

NICE WORK!!!!!!!! :D

Look mighty fine Mr. Squatch liking the babies and the new addition. The yard looks like its coming together too!

Looking good bro. Saturday looks like a good fire day after all. Then you will have good ash for in the garden. Bringing some pine, maple, hickory, and of course bamboo.

Back