• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Shadowchilli Grow Log

Ok so here it goes, my first try at a grow log.
Here is the list of the different types i have growing, or starting. A lot of these are overwintered from last season. Unfortuantly alot of the tags i had to label the plants have all been blown away. Will have to wait and see what pods i get :lol:
-trinidad scorpian red
-trinidad scorpian butch t
-doughla
-orange manzano
-red rocotto
-bhut jolokia
-bih jolokia
-yellow 7 pod
-7 pod jonah
-7 pod barrackpore
-yellow fatalii
-yellow cayene
-red cayene
-black prince
-red habs
-mustard habs
-orange habs
-peach habs
-hungarian wax
-lemon??
-assorted birdseye's
-yellow scorp cardi
-CGN21500 C.Chinense

This is a little present that i got a couple of days ago for my birthday.
The idea is i start my seeds out indoors, and once they go outside into the greenhouse they sit on the tray up the top, and once big enough to potup again they go down the bottom, and eventually outside.
greenhouse.jpg

Also for my birthday i got a joke present.
For those of you who dont know, my real name is Allan. My parents loved the recent video clip with the talking animals they decided to get me these. As since they did they will now be the mascots for growing my chillis, lol.
critters.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzypOnklG60&feature=related

How is the Orange Manzano coming along compared to your Red Rocoto? The photos revealed that caterpillars have had a feast on it.

The manzano is doing ok, the plant is around the same size as the rocoto, but only has two pods forming on it. Hasnt really had a lot of flower drop but not a lot of flower production.
the pods are are more rounded then the ones on the rocoto, maybe possible i accidently swapped tags at some point?? :crazy:
As for the catapillars eating the leaves, yeah it is possible however i haven't seen any :( If I had of seen any they would be very squished by now.
The two plants are sharing a little greenhouse (seen on page 1) with an assorted selection of other chilli plants. none of these plants have any leaf damage like the pubs do, which is bitter sweet i guess.

On a side note i am fairly sure i got the seeds from JungleRain. I searched back and found a topic i started asking where to get some rocoto and manzano seeds from, and it appears it was him that sent them to me :)

Here is one of the red rocoto? pods...

rocoto.jpg

And another...

rocoto2.jpg

This is one of the pods on the orange manzano...

manzano.jpg

Here is a couple of photos of the red rocoto flowers...

rocotoflower2.jpg

rocotoflower.jpg

Hopefully this will help the ID of these C.pubs...

The manzano is doing ok, the plant is around the same size as the rocoto, but only has two pods forming on it. Hasnt really had a lot of flower drop but not a lot of flower production.
the pods are are more rounded then the ones on the rocoto, maybe possible i accidently swapped tags at some point?? :crazy:
I would expect a variety named a Manzano to be rounded like the shape of an apple. I don't see anything to worry about at this stage.

As for the catapillars eating the leaves, yeah it is possible however i haven't seen any :( If I had of seen any they would be very squished by now.
The two plants are sharing a little greenhouse (seen on page 1) with an assorted selection of other chilli plants. none of these plants have any leaf damage like the pubs do, which is bitter sweet i guess.
Some caterpillars are green and hard to spot. I check under damaged leaves every day for them.

On a side note i am fairly sure i got the seeds from JungleRain. I searched back and found a topic i started asking where to get some rocoto and manzano seeds from, and it appears it was him that sent them to me :)

I can see Red Rocoto but not Orange Manzano in one of JungleRain's Capsicum Pubescens lists:
Aji Longo
Aji Lucento
Aji Picante
Aji Picante yellow
Albertos Locoto
Canario
CAP 217 Hyper Pube
CAP 468
CAP 1033
CAP 1479
CAP 1480
CAP 1482
CAP 1486
CAP 1492
CAP 1694
CAP 1695
CAP 867
CAP 870
CAP 907
CGN 19243 Gondol
CGN 22108
CGN 22797
CGN 23768
CGN 24361
Ecuadorian Red Hell
Guatemalan Yellow
Manzano Amarillo
Orange Manzano XL
Peru Puno Maki
PI 355812 Aji Rocoto
PI 585277
PI 614001
PI 837838
Rocoto de Seda
Rocoto Inca
Rocoto Peru Bitumi
Rocoto Red
Rojo Peron
PI 585266 Ultra Pube
Rocoto Yellow
Rocoto XL yellow_orange mix
Do these names correspond to the label on/in the zip lock bags? Does the Orange Manzano label include XL for extra large?

Here is one of the red rocoto? pods...

rocoto.jpg

And another...

rocoto2.jpg
The pods appear to have grooves/dents. The close up photo rules out some leads I found while researching for red pods similar in shape.

This is one of the pods on the orange manzano...

manzano.jpg
I refer to my orange variety as a Rocoto or Manzano interchangeably. The pods fatten up and become more apple shaped as they develop.

I don't have the full background information on my orange Manzano/Rocoto. The important thing is to keep strain going if you find one that handles your local climate.

I would expect a variety named a Manzano to be rounded like the shape of an apple. I don't see anything to worry about at this stage.
YAY!! :lol:

Some caterpillars are green and hard to spot. I check under damaged leaves every day for them.
I have been checking for them every chance I get, however I work in hospitality so I don’t really see my plants early in the day or as the sun goes down....
I can see Red Rocoto but not Orange Manzano in one of JungleRain's Capsicum Pubescens lists:

Do these names correspond to the label on/in the zip lock bags? Does the Orange Manzano label include XL for extra large?
Not too sure about the labels on the bags since I don’t have them anymore :(
The pods appear to have grooves/dents. The close up photo rules out some leads I found while researching for red pods similar in shape.
The pods only look like that in the photo...(bad photography skills). They are actually quite smooth. Will try to take some better photos tomorrow.
The important thing is to keep strain going if you find one that handles your local climate.
Well I think I have found at least one pube that loves to grow here.
I just can’t wait for some ripe pods.

By the way, exactly how hot are some of the pubs??

I have been checking for them every chance I get, however I work in hospitality so I don’t really see my plants early in the day or as the sun goes down....
A bright torch helps.

Not too sure about the labels on the bags since I don’t have them anymore :(

The pods only look like that in the photo...(bad photography skills). They are actually quite smooth. Will try to take some better photos tomorrow.
Being smooth then they resemble the Rocoto Red that I've seen listed on the Chilli Seed Bank / Fireworks Foods.

Well I think I have found at least one pube that loves to grow here.
I just can’t wait for some ripe pods.
I wouldn't rule out the Orange Manzano variety yet. It may need more sunlight than the Red Rocoto to produce more flowers.

By the way, exactly how hot are some of the pubs??
The heat varies depending on the variety from . The heat varies from Mild to Extremely Hot as you can see on thechileman.org. I note though that 3 of the 4 extremely hot listings have generic names.

Being smooth then they resemble the Rocoto Red that I've seen listed on the Chilli Seed Bank / Fireworks Foods.

That looks like them :)

I wouldn't rule out the Orange Manzano variety yet. It may need more sunlight than the Red Rocoto to produce more flowers.
Its starting to come along now, did some rearranging and it looks like its done the trick.

The heat varies depending on the variety from . The heat varies from Mild to Extremely Hot as you can see on thechileman.org. I note though that 3 of the 4 extremely hot listings have generic names.

Here is the info from http://chilliseedbank.com.au/ about the red rocoto that looks alot like mine.

ROCOTO RED
-This plant originates from high in the Andes and is the most cold tolerant of all the chilli varieties. I have had the same plants growing in my garden in Melbourne for the past 8 years, and they are still going strong. It is a very large plant with 4 metre long rambling branches. It is the only variety with black seeds, and some of my victims claim it is hotter than the Habanero. It has brilliant purple flowers and hairy leaves. The pods are very thick and fleshy and similar in shape to a Jalapeno but about the size of a small Roma tomato. Each year you can expect to pick at least 20 kg of chillies from each mature plant.

Heat level 8.5
Pod size (W x L cm) 3 x 7
Pod colour G > R
Plant size (H x W cm) 4 metres
Approx no. Pods/plant 80

Was this the largest Orange Manzano pod thus far?

At that particular time, yeah it was :( . But it has grown quite a lot since then, and i have a few more pods forming. Hopefuly the weather tonight wont destroy them or other plants. Very windy and wet here at the moment.

I noticed today that the shape of the pods on my plant is more variable than previously.

I was looking for Rocoto pods that had the bottle neck at the top. Some of the Locato pods on my first plant to bloom have a bottle neck.

The bottle neck looks like whats going on with my plant at the moment, i saw your post in the other thread. I have red you have yellow, lol.
You said yours is a locato, possible mine is a red locato labeled and sold wrong?
Going with the bottle neck theory... :crazy:

At that particular time, yeah it was :( . But it has grown quite a lot since then, and i have a few more pods forming. Hopefuly the weather tonight wont destroy them or other plants. Very windy and wet here at the moment.
Hot weather followed by windy wet weather resulted in some unhappy plants here. I've ducked out before at night to move some plants out of the weather.

The bottle neck looks like whats going on with my plant at the moment, i saw your post in the other thread. I have red you have yellow, lol.
You said yours is a locato, possible mine is a red locato labeled and sold wrong?
Going with the bottle neck theory... :crazy:
The Locato pods in my photo should ripen to orange according to the source. Locoto appears to be the name given to Capsicum Pubesecens varieties in Bolivia.

Maybe JungleRain can provide some insight to the lineage of your Red Rocoto.

So this is what i use to make my soil mix. Not in the photo however is the coir. that was already soaking at the time.

DSCN0401.jpg

Put it all together....

DSCN0402.jpg

And the final result...

DSCN0403.jpg

Nice and lite and fluffy.

DSCN0405.jpg

How are your Rocotos looking? I have four ripe or ripening Locato pods thus far.

So far so good, i dont have any pods ripeing at the moment :( but the plants are looking healthy and there is no flower/pod drop :woohoo:

you can see in the below photo that the weight of the pods is weighing down the branch of the plant, good and bad i guess, lol.
IMG_1112.jpg

Below is a shot of one of the branches...

IMG_1113.jpg

An overhead shot...

IMG_1114.jpg

By the way this is the plant i have labled as 'Red Rocoto'.

And this one is the 'Orange Manzano'

Overhead shot...

IMG_1115.jpg

Looks like a little apple :)

IMG_1116.jpg

Just another overhead shot...

IMG_1117.jpg

Also both of these plants are being grown in 9L buckets from bunnings....

This is just one of the random beds that i have with some plants in....

IMG_1118.jpg

Another view...

IMG_1119.jpg

And for those Yellow 7 pod fans...really bad photo, but almost ripe!!! YAY!

IMG_1121.jpg

P.S. The above photo is an overwintered plant from last year....Happy that i can save plants overwinter and get an early start on them for the next season :)

Great update, you got some good looking plants over there. Nice pod production!

Thanks meatfreak! Over the next couple days, when i get some time...I will be taking more photos...More pods to come :)

Looking awesome bro. Nice looking plants

They are getting there Trippa, unfortuantly most of my seed starts this year were very ordinary so i am really relying on my overwintered plants.

One day I will be lucky enough to try a rocoto, it's too hot here I would think, but not sure...

I thought the same thing about the weather here, but i started the seeds for those two plants really early in the year so they were able to flower and fruit before it got to hot here. So far i dont see any of them turning ripe, but hopefully wont be long.

How far do you guys usually let your ripe fruits go on a plant?
I usually wait for the fruit to turn complety red (or yellow or brown etc...) then wait around 3-4 more days to pick it. Would this be 'over ripe' or just about right?

I like the overwintered Yellow 7. Is the plant getting tall or is it short and compact?

Greg

When it came to overwinter from last season i didnt really cut it back at all...i was very slack lol.
As a result the plant isnt really putting out any new top growth. But all over it down the bottom and the sides. Will try and get a couple pics for ya :)

I like the overwintered Yellow 7. Is the plant getting tall or is it short and compact?

Greg

Here is the plant with the ripe yellow 7. by the way thats a 9l bucket that the plant is in...
DSCN0468.jpg

Just a shot of the same plant...
DSCN0471.jpg

And another one, lol.
DSCN0472.jpg

This is just another couple of overwintered plants, left is a trinidad scorp and right is another yellow 7

DSCN0470.jpg

Another angle (same plants).
DSCN0473.jpg

And here are some really late starts to the season. bit more of an experiment than anything else.

DSCN0475.jpg

here is the setup....Very poor, lol.

DSCN0474.jpg

Got home from work last night to discover that my new puppy had managed to climb into one of my new chilli beds (despite it being fenced off). Thankfully it looks like i have only lost about 3 plants, but a couple others might not pull through. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Back