• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Shlogg's Glog 2013... Long overdue update.

Hey THP. Well 2013 is upon us, time to start growing!

I picked 27 varieties to take up the bulk of my garden space. Mostly supers but also a couple cool varieties that aren't so hot. Anyway, I soaked my seeds in a weak herbal tea blend for 24 hours, rinsed them and they are now resting comfortably in my germination tank. I'm trying cotton make-up removal pads to keep them moist instead of paper towels. They seem to work great!

My tank consists of a plastic storage bin filled with water and a fish tank heater. The heater can take a little playing with to get the temps just right but once I find the sweet spot its perfectly constant. I then float my seeds in condiment cups on the warm water. It's really works.

I did have a few hiccups in the process though. I was a bit hasty and put my seeds in the germ tank before getting the temp just right. It reached 86 degrees for a couple hours before I caught it but they should be fine. I've got them at 82 degrees now which I think is perfect. Now I'm just excitedly waiting for tap roots so I can get them all into my seedlings trays.

Here what I have going:
20 TS Moruga Blend
20 7 Pot Brainstrain
20 TS Butch T
20 Bhut Jolokia
10 TS Moruga Blend Yellow
10 7 Pot Brainstrain Yellow
10 7 Pot Primo
10 Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
10 Bhut Jolokia Peach
10 TS Chocolate
10 Douglah
10 Bhut Jolokia Yellow
8 7 Pot Jonah
8 7 Pot Congo SR
8 Billy Boy Douglah Red
4 7 Pot Burgundy
4 TS Orange
4 Devil's Tongue
4 7 Pot Chaguanas
4 Bahamian Goat
4 7 Pot Barrackpore
4 7 Pot Savannah
4 Douglah Yellow
4 Billy Boy Douglah
4 Douglah X Butch T
4 Naga Jolokia
4 Jalabanero

I believe that's it for now. I'll be adding more varieties when I have room in the grow box.

Here's a low quality shot of the boys in their bath:
IMAG0449.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Haven't showed this guy off in a while. This is my conjoined BJ Peach.

IMAG0542.jpg

It's two plants from one seed with a fused stem. It had two sets of cots when it first opened and two sets of true leaves as it grew. The stem is twice as thick as my similiar sized BJ Peaches and if you look closely you can see a line down the stem that separates the two twins.

IMAG0544.jpg

It's really an amazing plant and I feel lucky to have it. I would love to see other pics of conjoined peppers if anyone else has one. Feel free to post a pic here. Thanks for looking.

Hey guy, I was reading your glog last night and got dragged away from my PC, so I'm back today...

I love the germ methods, more notes taken for next years grow!

The flu sucks, had it this year too, and I had the flu shot way before illness but it was a mild case. Two weeks NOT FUN!

I liked seeing the major improvement in your plants! Mine all germed well but sat there for too long doing nothing, my fault, I was afraid to kill them with ferts. Those Chinense sure are slow starters compared to the Annuums.

Glad to see your son is involved, I have two Live Oak trees my Son and his daughter started in pots from Acorns...how cool is that?

Take care and good luck this year, you're off to a great start!

Scott

Haven't showed this guy off in a while. This is my conjoined BJ Peach.

IMAG0542.jpg

It's two plants from one seed with a fused stem. It had two sets of cots when it first opened and two sets of true leaves as it grew. The stem is twice as thick as my similiar sized BJ Peaches and if you look closely you can see a line down the stem that separates the two twins.

IMAG0544.jpg

It's really an amazing plant and I feel lucky to have it. I would love to see other pics of conjoined peppers if anyone else has one. Feel free to post a pic here. Thanks for looking.
That's really weird, because my Prik Kee is barely out of the coty stage and looks like it might be doing that. It had two leaves and was stalled for a while, now it has the cotys and four leaves that look like 2 seperate plants. I'll post you a picture when I can get a minute of free time this week.

Thanks Shane. Don't worry I'll have seed for any who are interested. Hope this one grows true though. I had two variations in my BJ Peach last year. Either true or giant yellow Naga looking pods. Both are pretty good though. I wonder if the gene for conjoined twins is hereditary. It would be amazing to have a variety that always grew conjoined twins.

Devv, thanks for stopping by. I'm happy with where my plants are as far as size and quality. Im actually running out of space. It won't be long til some plants outgrow my shelf.

My little Oak is just starting to break the surface of the soil now. Strange that it doesn't hook like a pepper but just looks like a little spike. I'll post some pics if it progresses.

You may have a twin too PH. Look at the stem for a lateral line. That's the easiest way I can tell to distinguish a conjoined twin from an early fork.

Thanks Pia. I can't wait to see how it grows. I'm hoping for a very productive plant and maybe a cool bonchi in the winter.

Here is a pic (albeit a blurry one) of most of my plants. I have about 50 more in strips of 5 cells each.

IMAG0546.jpg

The ones infront (the bottom) are baccatum, anuum, thais, wilds and chinense. The other three are all chinense except for my lone Jalabanero. Hoping the smallest tray grows quick. Only have 3 weeks til plantout. Weather permitting of course.

Really enjoying your glog, especially since I'm also growing in Maryland. Good luck thus season and thank you for sharing

That's awesome Shlogg! A polyembryonic capsicum seed! I've only heard of this in citrus! My key lime seeds spout up two seedlings, but their not conjoined.
Great glog Shlogg! Did you ever get around to sowing those TFMs I sent you?

That's awesome Shlogg! A polyembryonic capsicum seed! I've only heard of this in citrus! My key lime seeds spout up two seedlings, but their not conjoined.
Great glog Shlogg! Did you ever get around to sowing those TFMs I sent you?
Thanks Steve. I had two sprouts from one seed last year. One of them was very small though and didn't survive.

I have 3 or 4 TFMs going. I only planned on keeping one but I don't have the heart to cull. I'll make some room for them all. Can't wait to see how they turn out! Thanks again for the seeds.

Edit: Just checked. I have 3 going. Lost 1 after transplanting. There still pretty small. I think I sowed them March 8th. I'll post a pic soon but they're behind a tray and a little hard to get to. Keep in touch.

I'm really running low on space now. Most of my lights are at maximum height and the leaves are starting to touch them. The weather is finally turning so I'll move some plants outside in the next few days. My backyard is North facing and our building is very tall. The sun just barely gets on our side of the fence around noon. Needless to say but my lighting conditions are probably better inside. As the sun gets higher in the sky it slowly creeps into our yard and eventually the entire yard gets sun at some point in the day. It's actually perfect for hardening off but not for maximum growth. Luckily most of my plants will be in my other garden that gets full sun.

Here's a couple shots from today.

A Pimenta De Neyde after a hard day of work:

IMAG0547.jpg

Its on my highest shelf which is too hot. The heat causes the rough appearance of the leaves which almost looks like edema. I'm not concerned about it though because its growing rapidly. A day or two at normal temps and the leaves will perk right up.

Here's a Rocoto from a pod my mother in law brought back from an open air market in Lima, Peru:

IMAG0549.jpg

Hard as they are to grow you still gotta love those pubes.

These plants are just busting out of my shelf:

IMAG0550.jpg

Just 2 and a half weeks until plant out for me. I'm taking a week off work to prep the garden and plant. I'm planning on using drip irrigation this year and I'm still need to order all the parts. Gotta run!

Yup...I'd say that shelf it stuffed to the gills! A couple weeks will have them fighting for the top of your pepper canopy! Looking real good, I am in the same boat when it comes to getting rid of the plants. That;s why I aimed to plant out 20-30 and have 40-50 out there already...and still more in the grow room.

Yup...I'd say that shelf it stuffed to the gills! A couple weeks will have them fighting for the top of your pepper canopy! Looking real good, I am in the same boat when it comes to getting rid of the plants. That;s why I aimed to plant out 20-30 and have 40-50 out there already...and still more in the grow room.

You can say that again... Yuk yuk.

Plants look great! I really like that Pimenta De Neyde.

So why do we plant so many?
You know what they say, "The more the merrier", "Dream big, start small", "Don't count your chickens" and my favorite, "Sometimes you just gotta say, 'What the f*&#'".

Here's another of my 4 days of growth updates:

4/3
IMAG0545.jpg

4/7
IMAG0553.jpg

These are my anuums with a lot of chinense, baccatum and wilds sprinkled in.

Not quite as dramatic a change as my last pics but I think they're about to go off.

Back