• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Shoreriders Slog (Sauce log)

Shorerider

Staff Member
Extreme Member
G'day everyone,

As I'm new to this forum, and new to chilli sauce making in general, I thought I'd share a few of my creations so far. The most recent was completed last weekend.

1st batch - Don't ask........

2nd batch - https://db.tt/xn9tuCPE

3rd batch - https://db.tt/8woKcjMm

4th batch - https://db.tt/SFyOphX0

5th batch - https://db.tt/G18WEJFn

My sauces use Apple Cider vinegar and Lemon juice to keep things acidic while the rest is made up of tomatoes, onion, garlic, ginger and a combination of five different chillies that I grow in my garden.

Most of the chilli I have in my garden have been sourced from friends and family and what actual type of chilli they are I couldn't tell you except for Cayenne chilli.

I know the heat level of all the chilli I grow and use them accordingly. Although I don't grow any exotic or exceptionally hot chilli, what I do have serves me well. And yes, most are much hotter than the Cayenne. I now have seven different types growing.

Anyway, that's it for now.

Cheers..........

Thanks for the kind words Oldsalty, I was beginning to think no one was interested. Like everything in life though, once you know how to do something anything is easy.

You're spot on about the enjoyment others get from devouring my sauces. It's definitely part of the reason I keep making them.

I have learnt much from THP and the rest through trial and error. If you haven't tried to make a sauce, give it a go. If you have any questions feel free to ask that's what we're here for.

Batch 9 coming soon......

Batch 9:

This was a quickie because I got my hands on some Chilli powder (not sure what Chilli was used) as our season is just starting.

Ingredients include Capsicum, onion, ginger, garlic and apple cider vinegar.

I was a bit unsure of what heat level to expect from the powder so I added 10Tbsp to about 4 litres.

Heat level is high, but unlike some of my other sauces that use fresh Chilli the heat dissipates quicker. It also has a distinct pepper taste which is what I was aiming for. Texture is very smooth mostly due to the powder and the particular attention I paid to the blending process.

This was my first batch using only powders and not my own grown fresh Chilli. I'll be making some more of my own powders to use once I have surplus pods.

https://db.tt/fsAe34k7

https://db.tt/8EON0Ksb

Cheers.......

That brick red color is great SR!  Did the sauce have a grainy texture at all?  I've used some powders in sauces before and they came out a bit gritty, but I think that was because I didn't grind fine enough.

Thanks SF. My last two batches have had great color and I put that down to choosing the reddest ingredients. I also added 250g sugar which caramelizes and gets darker the longer you cook it.

It wasn't grainy at all. The powder had a fine texture to it so I made sure to blend the crap out of it to enhance the smoothness of the sauce. I added some saved Capsicum seeds after the blend for effect.

Had some left over on some beef sausages and it felt very smooth with a big up front heat kick that mellowed off reasonably soon.

Cheers.....

Well it has been about 2 weeks since my last batch and I'm almost out. My friends are almost drinking the stuff.

Batch 10:

This batch continues to use the chilli powder I used in the last batch. The recipe was the same as batch 5&6 because I am almost out of the base sauce I make for the family. Ingredients include Capsicum, Tomatoes, Garlic, Onions, Ginger, Lemon juice and Orange juice.

I did however add more than double the amount of garlic as I found it wasn't quite noticeable.

The usual suspects.
20141013_091525_1.jpg

On the boil.
20141013_135703.jpg

Good Ph.
20141013_133855.jpg

Inverted.
20141013_155024.jpg

Group photo.
20141013_175621.jpg

I ended up with 6 bottles of non spicy "Barbie-Q" sauce and 7 bottles of hot "Smoke 'N' Fire" sauce.

I've tried Paul's product. It's a tasty break from some of the sauces out there made from bhuts, etc, and clearly wins over extract based products.

Give 'em a go where possible !

Regards,

Tim

Paul,

Your bottled sauces look fantastic!  I am fermenting a couple and waiting 90 days. I was gonna ask what you were doing with the bottles but saw you were distributing to co-workers.  Nice photos!

Thanks for the compliments guys. It's been a long process but I'm quite happy with the results I'm getting now. I'm considering taking things a little more seriously and am looking into possibly putting my sauce on the market. I'd only started making my sauce because I couldn't find anything that I liked. 

Thanks Seacowboy for finally making me get off my backside and adding photos instead of links. I've edited my last batch to now include the photos. 

SR.

Batch: 11

I wanted to try something different this time so I added strawberries for sweetness and much less sugar. Still no fresh chillies at the moment so went with two kinds of powders,  smoked and plain. Added much more of the powders this time round because I feel my tolerance is building up too quickly. 

Also added 4 heads (no not cloves) of garlic to try and satisfy my need to notice the taste. I also added a few spices to add some complexity.

Quite happy with the end result. It's not as sweet as my previous sauces, but this is what I was trying to achieve so that the other ingredients are more prominent. It needs 2-4 weeks to age.

Ingredients:
20141108_133333.jpg

Softening:
20141108_160130.jpg

Blended:
20141108_185205.jpg

Good ph:
20141108_183116.jpg

Bottled and up ended:
20141108_201220.jpg

SR.

The non-chilli heads I know (especially those with children) seem to have a taste for my Barbie-Q sauce. I ran out and had a back order of four bottles. Hence this batch doesn't contain chilli. Shock, horror yes I know, but so be it. These are my sauces and I won't skip batch 12.

Batch 12:

Same recipe as batch 5 but no chilli and I have been adding fresh orange juice in my last few batches to help with adding acidity and sweetness. 

Some of the ingredients:
20141123_161824.jpg

Blended:
20141123_181312.jpg

Bottled and up ended:
20141123_214449.jpg

All dressed up:
20141124_201511.jpg

SR.

Well I'm starting to run low on both Barbie-Q and Smoke 'N' Fire sauces so this batch is a repeat of batch 10. A few tweaks here and there because I wanted to make this batch a bit bigger to get more bottles out of it. 

Batch 13:

Softening:
20141206_171541.jpg

On the boil:
20141206_195657.jpg

Good pH:
20141206_205334.jpg

Up ended:
20141206_205738.jpg

Group photo together with what I have left of Batch 11. (Left)
20141207_174241.jpg

The taste is quite similar on both Barbie-Q and Smoke 'N' Fire as they share the same base however Smoke 'N' Fire contains Chilli powder and some smoked Chilli powder.

Can't wait to start using fresh pods again over powder. 

SR.

Damn brother, I wish you lived closer! I'd have to get me some of that lol.

Great lookin sauce and nice bottling.

Finally got me some fresh pods, but not as many as I would've liked.

Batch 14:

Chilli from left to right - Hungarian yellow, Jalapeño, Rocoto (above also) Tabasco cross, Tabasco cross#2, and Birdseye. 
20150131_154654.jpg

Blended. 
20150131_183813.jpg

Up ended.
20150201_095514.jpg

Labeled. 
20150201_140857.jpg

Didn't bother checking the ph as I followed a previous recipe. Heat was boosted with a few TBSP of Chilli powder. No tomatoes in this sauce, very distinct pepper taste. Blended the crap out of this sauce as I wanted a sooooth texture. 

SR.

Thanks, I aim for good color in all my sauces. I feel it is an important aspect of a good sauce. Just like seeing a beautiful woman before speaking to her.

SR.

Back