• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Shoreriders Slog (Sauce log)

Shorerider

Staff Member
Extreme Member
G'day everyone,

As I'm new to this forum, and new to chilli sauce making in general, I thought I'd share a few of my creations so far. The most recent was completed last weekend.

1st batch - Don't ask........

2nd batch - https://db.tt/xn9tuCPE

3rd batch - https://db.tt/8woKcjMm

4th batch - https://db.tt/SFyOphX0

5th batch - https://db.tt/G18WEJFn

My sauces use Apple Cider vinegar and Lemon juice to keep things acidic while the rest is made up of tomatoes, onion, garlic, ginger and a combination of five different chillies that I grow in my garden.

Most of the chilli I have in my garden have been sourced from friends and family and what actual type of chilli they are I couldn't tell you except for Cayenne chilli.

I know the heat level of all the chilli I grow and use them accordingly. Although I don't grow any exotic or exceptionally hot chilli, what I do have serves me well. And yes, most are much hotter than the Cayenne. I now have seven different types growing.

Anyway, that's it for now.

Cheers..........

Batch 15:

Once again this batch of "Barbie-Q" sauce contains no heat. This time I added a couple of teaspoons of smoked paprika to add a bit of a smokey taste. 

Ingredients minus the chillies. They are for an up and coming sauce.
20150223_103719.jpg

Softening.
20150223_122643.jpg

Blended.
20150223_142432.jpg

Bottled and up ended.
20150223_153014.jpg

x15
20150223_195051.jpg

Now this batch is out of the way, the next one will be more to my liking and contain some serious heat.

SR.

bbq sauce hasn't reached its full potential without citrus juice!!! next time you make a batch try adding some orange, lemon, and lime juice.....man it really transforms the product. Yours looks bomb tho!! :onfire:

Well, I did add the juice of 4 lemons and 5 oranges to this batch, they just weren't out at the time of the pics. See post #26 where citrus makes an appearance. I've been leaning more towards orange juice over lemon because orange is sweeter. 

SR

Truth be told "Barbie-Q" was made more than a week ago, and here we are now.

Batch 16:

With great pods on hand, this is my first real Chilli sauce in ages. In fact this batch uses over 1.5kg of a variety of chillies.

Chillies used were top to bottom. Cayenne, Rocoto, Bishops hat, Tobasco, Tobasco cross, Red ball and some sweet long peppers. Some donated by my Dad.

20150303_115302.jpg

The lot:
20150302_094853.jpg

Ingredients (strawberries not shown):
20150303_094417.jpg

Softening:
20150303_124854.jpg

Blended: Note the deep red coming through the center. This continues the longer you simmer. 
20150303_142549.jpg

Ph: Could be lower, but this recipe only uses 500ml of white wine vinegar to let the flavors shine through.
20150303_154129.jpg

Bottled and up ended: Got me some new lids too. :party:
20150303_170340.jpg

Only had 8 labels ready so the rest will have to wait.
20150303_192334.jpg

Dinner: Lamb roast with roasted veggies and peas. Topped off with freshly made Scarlet Pain!!
20150303_173652.jpg

SR.

Good lookin sauce SR; great color!

What's the heat level on this one? Pretty mild?

Thanks guys. The heat level on Scarlet Pain would be a 4.5/10 for a true chillihead. I'm always for flavor before heat, but in saying that, the heat builds slowly the more you have and leaves you with a nice after burn on the tongue. 

I have hotter chillies in the garden, but they are yet to ripen. I also have some dried Douglah's given to me by Dazastar but thought that if I added some to this batch, along with the fresh chillies I had, it would be too much heat to enjoy.

SR.

Hey Drifty,

Barbie-Q isn't your traditional BBQ sauce, hence the red color. It's actually Smoke 'N' Fire but without the heat. It is named after my wife who loved the sauce before I added the heat, my nickname for her is "Barbie" as she has blonde hair. 

Barbie-Q has more of a salsa flavor, with hints of garlic and ginger and has replaced store bought tomato sauce in our house. A traditional BBQ sauce is on my to do list.

If you'd still like to try any of my sauces, send me a PM and we can work something out. 

I just bought some lids from these guys:

http://www.silverlock.com.au/

Good product, but customer service is lacking.

I'm yet to buy bottles because I drink a soft drink called Kinnie which I buy full for $1.25ea. I can't justify buying new bottles for $1+ea and then throwing out the ones from my soft drink. I also get extra bottles from family members. I sterilize the washed bottles in my oven at 130deg c for 1 hour which is a massive overkill, but you can never be too safe.

As for labels, I print my own using Microsoft PowerPoint, coat with 3 coats of clear spray paint, and stick them down with double sided tape. Not professional, but it does the job. 

SR.

So the elusive Hot BBQ sauce is still elusive, I have had many tries and none are what I am after.

I still have a while until I need bottles and I doubt I'd even find any Kinnie that easy, or be able to drink enough to reuse the bottles so I will be buying some it seems.

For labels I have had a look around and http://www.vistaprint.com.au seem to be the cheapest for a more pro look, but I only would go for that as I am bit of a perfectionist and it saves me having to fuss over them

Batch 17:

This batch unfortunately was a bit of a rush job (bloody work) but I was reasonably pleased with the outcome. 

I had quite a few Habanero chillies from my garden (and one Scotch Bonnet that didn't make the cut) and really wanted to make them the star of the show in this sauce. 
20150329_104257.jpg

Ingredients: (Oranges, lemons, Garlic and Vinegar not shown) I used mild orange peppers, and Rockmelon to retain the Hab color as best I could. 
20150329_121553.jpg

Blendered and simmering:
20150329_141643.jpg

Upended:
20150329_160245.jpg

Final product: No labels as yet, still trying to finalize a name.
20150330_082132.jpg

I pulled six bottles (^ left) out before I added the Habs because the peppers I used had a very mild heat, and this lead to a very mild base sauce which I often get requests for. 

The sauce texture is quite thin as I wanted to be able to drip it onto my food. Habanero aroma when blendering was extraordinary, I just hope this remains with age. Definite Habanero flavor up front, and even before tasting it's noticeable under your nose. Heat is up there, and noticeable quite quickly and leads to a lingering after burn that is quite enjoyable. Not as sweet as some of my other sauces as the Rockmelon used wasn't quite ripe, but I knew this and wanted it this way.

This sauce definitely needs to age for a few weeks for the true taste to emerge when I'm hoping that the pungent Habanero flavor remains. 

Update edit:

Meet "Hellburnero"
20150419_201718_1.jpg

Now that It has had a chance to age and meld, the taste is great, but very different from what I have made in the past.

It has an almost Asian flavor, with a interesting flavor delivery. It's like you first taste the base sauce (just like the 6 bottles without the Habs) then after a second or two you start to taste that distinct and unmistakable Habanero taste. Very interesting. 

Heat is mild at first, but the more you have,  the more it builds, and soon enough you feel the sweat start to build all around your face.

SR.

Batch 18:

This sauce came about because I was finding that I just needed more heat. No sooner had I made a batch, I found myself having to cover my food with it just to get a burn. My friends have also been asking for more heat.

Ingredients: Chillies include Jalapeño, Tabasco, Tabasco hybrid, Rocoto, Bishops Hat, Habanero, 2 green Naga, 5 dried Choc 7 pods, and Cayenne hybrids. 
20150425_152937-1.jpg

Base blended and Chillies added:
20150425_202105.jpg

Blended:
20150425_221403.jpg

Bottled and up ended:
20150426_094320.jpg

Made 17 bottles and two jams to use as spreads (Jams didn't work out, directions on the pack of Pectin were useless)

The taste had an almost overpowering citrus flavor. I added some sugar which toned it down well. The taste of the Habs, 7 pods and Naga is quite noticeable which is surprising given that they make up such a small portion of the 1.7kg of total Chillies used.

"Heat Seeker":
20150428_210607.jpg

The heat level is mild at first, but builds just like it does eating a Hab for example, and travels down the sides of your throat. Having just two teaspoons left a reasonable burn in my mouth. It is definitely my hottest sauce to date, so should keep me content for now.

I look forward to next season when I'll have a garden full of superhots to add to my sauces.

SR.

Batch 19:

This batch was due to happen last week, but the availability of good (to my standards) produce delayed it by a week. 

Primarily a batch of my non-hot "Barbie-Q" sauce because I have been all out of it for a few weeks now. The wimps in my life need sauce too I guess. Having an abundance of fresh pods from my own garden ensured that some "hot sauce" would still be made. I added the chillies to some of the base sauce after I had pulled out enough bottles of "Barbie-Q".

Ingredients:
20150530_153531.jpg

Softening:
20150530_175304.jpg

Blendered:
20150530_195826.jpg

Chillies from the garden (Rocoto, Tabasco, Jalapeño, Cayenne hybrid, Scotch Bonnet, and Habanero):
20150530_182148.jpg

Chillies softening:
20150530_220625.jpg

Blendered:
20150530_230800.jpg

Base sauce pH:
20150530_233200.jpg

Hot sauce pH:
20150530_233311.jpg

Bottled and upended (7.2 liters/243.46 oz worth):
20150530_235522.jpg

Hot sauce (right) has distinct Hab aromas, mostly likely because they are the most pungent of all the chillies used. Heat is great, a somewhat slow delivery, but builds with time. 

SR.

With a abundance of Rocoto pods on hand, I decided to make a sauce with it being the main ingredient. Other ingredients include White wine vinegar, Fresh Orange & Lemon juice,  Onion, Garlic and Ginger.

20150909_191608.jpg

Beside a batch of "Barbie-Q" sauce (left).
20150926_194704.jpg

Whole batch.
20150927_131624.jpg

"Rocoto-Loco"
20150927_140724.jpg

Needs to age some, but tastes great as it is. Color is on the brown side of red, but I'm ok with it. Heat is reasonably high and builds quickly.

Full house, one of every variety. 
20150927_132408.jpg

SR.

Mate they look totally awesome, well done! Can i put Dibs on a bottle or 2 of your Sauce's if you have any spare?
I will be giving your recipes a try in the near future, but i need to learn how to grow first !

Thanks Needle, and yes it has been a journey. I have learnt so much along the way, and still have more to learn.

Post up your second batch, we would all like to see it.

SR.

Back