• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Should I get this smoker?

Roguejim said:
You seem a bit confused in your point. Kettle smoking is "lossy" (lousy?), but you can also smoke "well" with one...head scratcher for me. How does it waste fuel? You're the first kettle naysayer I've come across. Or maybe I'm confused? ;)

The very definition is "having or involving the dissipation of electrical or electromagnetic energy."

The kettle isn't sealed well enough in a number of areas and ways ...

You end up burning a ton of fuel on a long cook, maintaining a low temp ...

You can always get what I bought last year for $300. Its the Akorn Kamado Grill and it does low and slow really well for me without much wood/coals. Today I did BBack ribs with a dozen coals and a few pieces of mesquite wood. 250* for 4 and a half hours and I could of gone another few hours without adding anything.

But I hear great things about the WSM. 

I understand that vertical smokers are more efficient and easier to maintain even heat. But I can get oak for free and I usually do things the hard way. I have some experience tending fire on a offset and none on a vertical. Still I'm not spending more than a hundred bucks on a smoker, even if it goes to the store and shops for the meat itself. :P

SavinaRed said:
You can always get what I bought last year for $300. Its the Akorn Kamado Grill and it does low and slow really well for me without much wood/coals. Today I did BBack ribs with a dozen coals and a few pieces of mesquite wood. 250* for 4 and a half hours and I could of gone another few hours without adding anything.

But I hear great things about the WSM. 

Yeah, the Akorn is more frugal than my depression-era grandma (was) ...

hogleg said:
I understand that vertical smokers are more efficient and easier to maintain even heat. But I can get oak for free and I usually do things the hard way. I have some experience tending fire on a offset and none on a vertical. Still I'm not spending more than a hundred bucks on a smoker, even if it goes to the store and shops for the meat itself. :P
Well since you are on a specific budget then by all means get that smoker on craigslist. It seems to be well built. I would still low ball the guy. Tell him you want to come and see the smoker in person. When you get there show interest then make the offer and if he doesn't accept it walk away. If he counters you then you know you have him. if not you can always drive off go around the block then come back and offer him $75 as your final offer. I'm sure he will take it and if not then you got the smoker you want for $100. :)

Ha ha ha!! the ad just came down to $75 this evening. I'm gonna try and get that thing tomorrow for $60 and give him a two foot Orange Rocoto plant.

I've also figured out it IS, a made in U.S.A. NB, pre Char-Broil buy out. Not 3/16" but it should be 10 gauge steel.

Start at 40, nothing to lose. Stick at 50. If you really like it go ahead and pay his lowest. 

hogleg said:
Working on an appointment to pick up this badboy tomorrow. I'm gettin' fired up! pun intended. 

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/for/5151291733.html
Awesome brother!!! I've cooked in WSM and my horizontal pit smoker if WSM were so stellar you'd see many more in competition BBQ you made the right choice. Great deal and since you have experience using this type cooker it's a smart move brother. BBQ is more about time in the saddle then the type of cooker you use I've produced killer Q in a homemade wooden smoker :) congratulations brother post some pics when you getter home.
Oh and check out your local dump or recycling center I found cast iron grates from and old Webber at mine cleaned and seasoned look like new. Just had to cut a couple section off to fit. Just a thought cast iron is the way to go. Have lots of killer mods for that model.

Didja get it? ;)

This is a well made one, if all it needs is a light sand and some BBQ paint on the exterior, well done. If it's the bigger one, even better deal. They make 2 sizes but a good deal either way.

Still, offer $50! If they say no pull out 3 20s, the sight of money talks. They are moving.

PS. Is missing one temp gauge. There's your bargaining tool.

I was in talks on the Email a couple times last night, I asked for a time and address. Still waiting for a response   :mope:  Last one, I got dicked around on a appointment time then it was gone, sold to someone else (WTH is wrong with these Clist people) I hope I don't get the shine on again, dammit. I want this one and the price is right

Yea its the smaller one the Highlander not the Longhorn. Plenty big enuff for me though.

Oh yeah the smaller one just looked at a pic, it has one temp gauge so not missing one.

Hope you get it...

hogleg said:
I was in talks on the Email a couple times last night, I asked for a time and address. Still waiting for a response   :mope:  Last one, I got dicked around on a appointment time then it was gone, sold to someone else (WTH is wrong with these Clist people) I hope I don't get the shine on again, dammit. I want this one and the price is right

Yea its the smaller one the Highlander not the Longhorn. Plenty big enuff for me though.
No worries I'm sending positive karma your way aaahhhuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmm there yer all set brother! :)

Back