• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Show Us Your Pubes! Group GLOG From The Rocoto Giveaway

I am starting this thread for folks who received some Pubescens seeds from me through the Pubescens giveaway. I figured it would be fun to see everyone's progress, plus have a general place to share any pics, growing techniques, and general Pubescens knowledge. I wish everyone great success in their gardens this year.

Even if you didn't receive seeds from me, and want to contribute info about your Pubescens plants this year, please feel free to share.

How about your XL Browns, 'Dog? Mine are still not coming out, the only other Pube I haven't got at least one of is the Pineapple Rocotos from GIP.

If memory serves, those Ecuador Reds are a bit hotter than most of the Rocotos I've grown so far.

Not great, unfortunately.  I had 2 sprout out of about 8+/- I planted.  I got my notes mixed up earlier and thought the original planting had sprouted after 3 weeks, when actually those haven't sprouted after about a month and the two that did sprout were from the replacement planting and hooked at days 9 and 10. 

I got the seeds from the same source along with the mini-browns (3/3 germ) and a few tough-to-germ varieties that germinated at strong %'s, so I don't know what's up with the XL Browns.  I'm keeping both plantings under conditions to see if anything else comes up, but it's looking like this just wasn't the best batch for whatever reason.  Sorry man.

On a positive note (for me at least) everything you sent me (with the sole exception of no big jims showing up yet) germinated really well. I ended up planting the Large Reds, Ecuadors (I wonder if these are the same variety as SLP's EFH strain given the heat), and the Turbos, plus Aleppo, Antake and Antep Aci Dolma.  All much appreciated.

CaneDog said:
Not great, unfortunately.  I had 2 sprout out of about 8+/- I planted.  I got my notes mixed up earlier and thought the original planting had sprouted after 3 weeks, when actually those haven't sprouted after about a month and the two that did sprout were from the replacement planting and hooked at days 9 and 10.  I guess we can't all have a Giant Brown...But I do have a mini Brown out the groun'. That'll do!! :party:

On a positive note (for me at least) everything you sent me (with the sole exception of no big jims showing up yet) germinated really well. I ended up planting the Large Reds, Ecuadors (I wonder if these are the same variety as SLP's EFH strain given the heat), and the Turbos, plus Aleppo, Antake and Antep Aci Dolma.  All much appreciated. You can thank the Moruga Welder next time you see him for those Middle-East specimens! Frank RAWKS!! :metal: 

The Large Red, Turbo and Ecuador Red I sent you came out of pods I grew from seed sent me by our benefactor, Thegreenchilemonster. Between you and him I'm nasty with Rocotos this year!!

Just an update, at about 8 weeks. crazy how it's branching out. 

IMG_2474.JPG

And I may have got a little carried away with the nute's last week, everything is a very deep dark green. But it looks good on them.

How many hours a day do ya think they should be under the lights? I was doing 16 hr's and at the end of the days everything looks tired, so I 've been shortening their exposer. maybe only 14.

DanMcG said:
Just an update, at about 8 weeks. crazy how it's branching out. 

attachicon.gif
IMG_2474.JPG

And I may have got a little carried away with the nute's last week, everything is a very deep dark green. But it looks good on them.

How many hours a day do ya think they should be under the lights? I was doing 16 hr's and at the end of the days everything looks tired, so I 've been shortening their exposer. maybe only 14.

Consider that due to the tropical origins of many/most peppers, the equatorial 12 hour day should be sufficient. Rocotos are not sun babies, and I'm finding that mine are thriving at that 12-hour span. Type of light matters, and I'm no technician, but I only give my Pubes about 4 hours of morning/evening direct sun per day in the summer, and they seem to like it.

I have a "control" group of various pepper types in a south facing window that are telling me how much more they like real sun than fake LED facsimiles. The cups furthest away are new arrivals as of yesterday.

4-2-19 window.jpg

These peppers counterparts are growing noticeably slower in the grow room, with a couple exceptions, one a Gelbe Riesen that was the first hook a month ago, and an Aji Arnaucho, both very vigorous after having hooked at 5 days gestation...

I put 5 plants (not pubes) in a south facing window a few days ago. About the same size as yours. They loved it. My others are under a mix of 4k, 6.5k and 8k florescent bulbs. I have 5 more of the exact same plants still under those bulbs. Same seeds all started at the same time and all in the same seedling mix. Growth from the window sill plants is better in just a few days.

Next year a 8 bulb T5 fixture will be a must if i want to improve growth inside. I dont have enough south facing sills and moving seedlings from east to west sills daily is a pain.

I hadn't taken any pics lately, so I took a few snapshots last night.  These are the final 3 varieties I planted this season, which all hooked about 3 weeks ago.

First are manazana rojos. My OW plant just suddenly died on me about a month ago (it was a few years old) so I had to scramble to replace it. 
Luckily I got 2/2 germination from the only 2 seeds I had left.
2019-04-19%20ManzRojo850.jpg

These are Large Reds, which I wasn't going to plant these year - I've grown them a lot and have a pretty big grow this year - but they've been such consistently strong performers I decided to start a couple after all.  And they're growing quite vigorously as it turns out.
2019-04-19%20LargeRed850.jpg

Last are the XL Browns, which were poor germinators.  I didn't have many seeds to begin with and was getting nervous about them, but fortunately a couple came up.
2019-04-19%20XLBrown850.jpg

The first set of leaves was fused on this XLB, so now the growth stem is coming out at an angle on the other side of the cotyledons.
2019-04-19%20XL%20BrownFused850.jpg

A couple other pics.

Mini Brown seems to be doing well.  I have a couple of these and have been debating whether to keep 1 of them indoors over the summer given that the plant itself  tends to be a more compact variety.
2019-04-19%20MiniBrown850.jpg

And here's a Tatiana F4 (Mini Brown x ???). Had some hiccup or another with a funky leaf but it's been healthy since.  I like the frosty look the leaves sometimes get in flash photos.
2019-04-19%20TatEnt850.jpg

Hope everyone's rocs are doing well.  My first plant out is planned for this weekend, which will be moving my round I rocotos to the hoop houses I have set up at my community garden plots. They've been doing days on the deck and nights inside for about 3 weeks now, so they should be plenty ready.

CaneDog said:
Hope everyone's rocs are doing well.  My first plant out is planned for this weekend, which will be moving my round I rocotos to the hoop houses I have set up at my community garden plots. They've been doing days on the deck and nights inside for about 3 weeks now, so they should be plenty ready.
Woah, that's great, CD...

I'm probably going to have to start
hardening off pretty soon.

group photo this morning. 
manzano/ orange rocotos
IMG_2557.JPG

IMG_2560.JPG

I was hoping I could get away with not haveing to pot up again but they're all starting to bloom now and at least 3-4 weeks till they can go in the ground.
Also need to learn how to take a good pic. ;)

Well I had my first casuility for the season. Have the plant outside sucking up some rain and I guess the weight of the droblets laying on the leaves was to much and snaped a laterial branch of one plant. Never thought that would happen. 

IMG_2605_LI.jpg

And another sideways group photo. I can't figure out the sideways pic's, drives me crazy.  Ok I figured it out, way to big a pic..

800 800 roc.jpg

I'm not a fan of topping or what ever ya want to call it when they grow out and not up, but was thinking about it this morning. My shortest one is only 5 inches tall but it's 23" wide. I'll really need to figure out how to train them to stay off the ground or clip them. Any Advice?

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Usually when my rocoto plants grow horizontally instead of vertically, I clip the very ends of the branches at the furthest nodes. That usually strengthens the already sprawled branches, but also forces additional chutes to grow out of each node, in a more upward direction.

Thanks for the tip, I took your advice and clipped them this morning.  I actually think they look better with the hair cut.  ;)

Back