• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Show Us Your Pubes! Group GLOG From The Rocoto Giveaway

I am starting this thread for folks who received some Pubescens seeds from me through the Pubescens giveaway. I figured it would be fun to see everyone's progress, plus have a general place to share any pics, growing techniques, and general Pubescens knowledge. I wish everyone great success in their gardens this year.

Even if you didn't receive seeds from me, and want to contribute info about your Pubescens plants this year, please feel free to share.

Yeah, Crafty.  I'd be curious to hear your experience with those rocoto cuttings too. I know of a few people who are just dropping them into water glasses in the window with success, but I don't remember ever having pepper cuttings work so quickly and easily for me. 

BTW, looks like you have a lot happening inside.  Those young rocotos look great - and ripe pods soon on the De Seda!

ShowMeDaSauce said:

Im gunna give it a shot with my Aji oro. Did you use any rooting product or just straight water? Ive got a mild hydro solution (CNS17 Grow)i might try.

I have been using some hormone, here and there, but I'm fairly certain these were with just tap water. 

CaneDog said:
Yeah, Crafty.  I'd be curious to hear your experience with those rocoto cuttings too. I know of a few people who are just dropping them into water glasses in the window with success, but I don't remember ever having pepper cuttings work so quickly and easily for me. 

BTW, looks like you have a lot happening inside.  Those young rocotos look great - and ripe pods soon on the De Seda!

Would you believe those are still the ones I started in January? The aphids really set them back.

Definitely sold me.. With CD's Notta Yellow DeSeda, Bhutta delicious kicking Pube! 

rVhFrVcl.jpg

1m6tMCUl.jpg

Glad that Not-DS turned out okay despite, Crafty.  Yours looks a bit different than mine and my memory of what Stetto's looks like - though they all came from just one pod that I was sure was a bagged ISO. That plant must have got around despite my efforts!

I still have 1 plant from that same seed that hasn't flashed yet.  The green pods look good and are pretty beefy. I can see the De Seda influence in the shoulders, but they still look different.  I'm hoping it flashes yellow not red, but either way I know there's yellow in those genes and I'll probably grow out the seeds.

Here's what a few of the pods look like.
20191119 De Seda-UNK.jpg

20191119 De Seda-UNK2.jpg

20191119 De Seda-UNK1.jpg

Yeah, most of mine don't have that elongated neck by the calyx.. The blocky ones have 3 lobes and the others appear to only have 2.
KznjacLl.jpg

toSIctpl.jpg

This is about as close as I seem to come to that pheno you have there..
n8ibDK9l.jpg

But most have almost no neck to them..
VIxETObl.jpg

I'm going to see what I have left of those original seeds.. I still have a couple De Seda that haven't flowered.. They'll get their chance next spring, I'm sure. 

My De Sedas came in two phenos on one plant: the bi-lobed models were easily twice the size of the tri-lobed, but all were heavy and on the very red side of orange. Mine, like the Crafty Fox's, had little to no neck, but nice broad shoulders...I actually thought of naming the plant Gunther...

Yours both sound like my 1 of 2, that showed the red cross.  However, my 2 of 2 just did this yesterday.  It seems on-pheno and I'm not getting anything with 3 lobes on it, just good solid rounded-triangle pods for the most part and some showing a decent neck on them.

20191124 DeSedaYellow.jpg

These next ones look pretty cool.  It's supposed to be a CAP 1242, but came in off-red/orange-red instead of the off-yellow/orange color they're supposed to be.  I really like the look of these and the plant produced well.  I have isolated pods on it now that I'm leaving to hang a bit extra because I plan to grow out the F2 on this. The angle on this picture is bad because I couldn't get good access, but these have the 1242 shape to them, which is cool but doesn't really come through in the pic.  I'll be trying to get some better pics of these showing true color and shape.  Unfortunately, I gave away all my remaining CAP 1242 seeds counting on this guy to produce true :( or I'd be dropping the 1242's again to try for a true pheno as well.

20191124_153040.jpg

roper2008 said:
My Peruvian Red Rocoto has flowers, but no pods yet. I started it late. This plant is in full sun,
want to see how it can handle it. We are supposed to get some super hot weather soon in
Virginia Beach.
Its strange, the Aji Limo Rojo is growing yellow pods instead of red. I could have sworn I used my
own seed from a red pod, but its possible I used some of the original seed you sent me. Will be interesting to see if it taste different.

Linda

I left my Peruvian Red Rocoto in the full sun, absolutely no shade all summer, it gets very hot here and humid.  While it still grew and flowered, no pods.  End of summer I moved it out of full sun, and I started getting a few pods.  Last year I grew the Rocoto in part shade and I got lots of pods.  I think more ideal would be filtered shade if you have hot, sunny weather.  

Back