• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Shrimp Ceviche and a Gin and Tonic -- A very satisfying meal.

DSC00668.JPG

Shrimp Ceviche

1 pound raw shrimp
2 Tbsp Salt
1 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 cup chopped red onion
3 serrano peppers, seeds removed and minced
Cilantro - to taste
1 cucumber, peeled and cubed
1 avocado, peeled and cubed

1. Boil 4 quarts water salted with the 2 Tbsp salt.
2. Add shrimp for 1 min (leaving it slightly undercooked)
3. Drain shrimp and cube it.
4. Place shrimp in the lime and lemon juice, cover and refrigerate for 30 min.
5. Mix in the onion and pepper, cover and refrigerate for another 30 min.
6. Mix in the cucumber, avocado, and cilantro just before serving.

Serves 2-3 Adults

Gin and Tonic

1. Squeeze 1/2 lime into glass over ice.
2. Rub slice of lime around rim for additional flavor.
3. Leave the lime husks for garnish
4. Add 2oz top shelf London Dry Gin
5. Top off glass with Tonic water.
6. Stir and let bubble settle - then enjoy.

MMMmmmm! That looks good! If you don't mind, here's a Shrimp Ceviche recipe that uses a different cooking method. Originally posted by Jesse, owner of Tres Virgines restaurant in La Paz, MX. Jesse´s Shrimp Ceviche

Ok for a little backround on this recipe, i love Shrimp, i hate Shrimp Ceviche. Fish and its delicate texture, seems to marinate perfectly with lime juice, but Shrimp having a more complex texture than Fish, doesn´t seem to "release" its full flavors in a lime marinade. Having tried many recipes and failed at finding one that resolve this problem, i gave up trying to find a recipe a long time ago and started on working on a new complete way of achieving this. So lets see:

1.-I want a Shrimp that marinates good with Lime BUT that also releases its full (Shrimp) flavor.
2.-Raw Shrimp and Lime are simply not too great of partners.
3.-Cooked Shrimp cannot be marinated in lime as the Texture becomes too tight to absorb the lime properly.

Three years later and i found the solution, its been selling like crazy at the Restaurant so i am going to share it with the board.

INGREDIENTS

4 large Shrimp, devained, cleaned, tail on.
1 Tablespoon diced Onion.
1 The Juice of one or two Limes.
1 Tablespoon diced Cilantro.
1 Table spoon Olive oil.
1 Table spoon Ponzu sauce or a Light soy sauce.
1 Large Pepperoncini.
1 Large Ziploc bag.
6 to 8 Cherry Tomatoes halved.
Sea salt.
Pepper.

1.-Butterfly the Shrimp and place inside one corner of the Ziploc bag.

2.-With a large knife or a Mallet, carefully pound the Shrimp inside the bag until it becomes a Carpaccio, not too thin, not too thick. Tail must not be pounded and left inside the bag attached to the Shrimp.

3.-Add another Shrimp at the other corner of the Bag and repeat, do the same until all four Shrimp are in the bag.

4.-Fill medium sized pan halfway with ice cold water.

4.-In another medium sized pot, fill until half with water and heat.

5.-Turn off before it boils and remove from Range.

6.- Now, close the Ziploc bag foil until it fits the medium sized pot and sumerge for 3 to 5 minutes.

7.-When the Shrimps gets white, remove and inmediately place in Ice cold water.

8.-Get a large serving plate, with a sharp knife slice the bag open and carefully remove the Shrimp. Place the Shrimp in the plate and get ready to finish them.

9.-First add Lime juice, if you add Oil first it will coat the Shrimp and won´t allow the Lime Juice to really get in and cook it.

10.-Then add salt and pepper to taste.

11.-Add Olive oil, Onions, Tomatoes, Cilantro and Pepperoncinis.

12.-At the very last put just a little bit of Ponzu sauce on the Shrimp to bring out more flavors (Not too much or will end up tasting Oriental).

I find by carefully cooking the Shrimp this way, it brings out their full flavor, but the process is stopped right before the meat gets tough. Thinly pounded Shrimp are also easier to marinate, wich would otherwise would be impossible to do if they where whole. You get a fresh tasting Ceviche, the full flavor of Shrimp, and a very classy presentation.

Here's the original postwith some pics.

Cooked shrimp ceviche = oven bbq'd ribs.

I swear you can't live with these people.

And with that..

I'd still pie hole the hail out of that shrimp!

Texans aren't allowed to drink gin.

Its too gentlemen like what with the pinky finger sticking up n' all.

We like our fire water.

Tequila is an outstanding pairing with shrimp ceviche.

It's about the texture, TB/ Try it both ways a decide what you like best. Don't pooopooo it until you've tried it. But then again, TB is the Master Of The Loo.

Side note to TB- Try these 2 recipes and if you don't like either of them.... offer up your recipe for us to try. Please hurry so I can try your recipe Friday as possible part of the TD.

It's about the texture, TB/ Try it both ways a decide what you like best. Don't pooopooo it until you've tried it. But then again, TB is the Master Of The Loo.

Side note to TB- Try these 2 recipes and if you don't like either of them.... offer up your recipe for us to try. Please hurry so I can try your recipe Friday as possible part of the TD.

No kitchen duty for moi for a few days.

mrs. blues and I are meeting mama blues for lunch at a joint in Georgetown called La Playa.

http://laplayageorgetown.com/

They have a shrimp cocktail with cooked shrimps, pico, and avo.

Kinda' like the one mentioned.

I was hoping for fish tacos made with real fish and not tilapia.

But no.

Cooked shrimp with heat = everything except ceviche. I only do ceviche when I can get local North Carolina green tail shrimp, best I have had in the world.

Dish looks great and based on location I can understand the need to put them in boiling water.

Back