• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sideshow Gardens Grow Log.

Here's where it all starts at Sideshow Gardens. The seedling room. Heat and humidity controlled. The trays will only spend a couple days here til they get moved outside. Our daytime temps have been wonderful lately but night time temps are still pretty low so they all get brought back inside at night. Quite the chore since the seedling room is upstairs and I currently have way more trays than what is pictured. I've started tomatoes and peppers so far but that accounts for only a quarter of what I'll be growing. Stay tuned for further updates. Thanks for looking!

Walchit said:
You are the only one I have ever heard of air layering anything! It kind of blew my mind when I saw it
Lmao! And that was my first attempt! I didn't believe it would work, either. Lol. Rich (Pepper-Guru) suggested I look into it. It's really simple.

I'm not so sure I agree with the strong sun though bhuter. I read an article that said they hate strong sun and one that said they love it. The only reason I have them under the LED is because the CFLs I had them under burned them. I've never had a CFL burn anything so if anything, I think they prefer filtered light. I started these plants as an experiment so I knew what to tell customers but so far it seems they don't like direct sun. In my experience at least. I've tried to kill them a few times and my conclusion is that they like water but hate direct sun. They also do not like being moved. I moved them inside from the garage when night temps got low and they got pissed. It took them 2 days to raise their leaves again even under the same lighting schedule. They drop their leaves at night flush with the stem. They like a set schedule and if you mess with it, they don't wanna come out and play. Lol

Edmick said:
I'm not so sure I agree with the strong sun though bhuter. I read an article that said they hate strong sun and one that said they love it. The only reason I have them under the LED is because the CFLs I had them under burned them. I've never had a CFL burn anything so if anything, I think they prefer filtered light. I started these plants as an experiment so I knew what to tell customers but so far it seems they don't like direct sun. In my experience at least. I've tried to kill them a few times and my conclusion is that they like water but hate direct sun. They also do not like being moved. I moved them inside from the garage when night temps got low and they got pissed. It took them 2 days to raise their leaves again even under the same lighting schedule. They drop their leaves at night flush with the stem. They like a set schedule and if you mess with it, they don't wanna come out and play. Lol
Man, the article I read said they like sun and hate soggy feet. Lol. I'll definitely go with what you say. But yeah, I've only had a CFL burn one plant and that's because it was touching the bulb. Cannabis.

Everything you say about them: filtered light, don't like to be moved, moist medium...sound a lot easier for me to handle. I feel a little better about it now. Lol

Bhuter said:
Man, the article I read said they like sun and hate soggy feet. Lol. I'll definitely go with what you say. But yeah, I've only had a CFL burn one plant and that's because it was touching the bulb. Cannabis.

Everything you say about them: filtered light, don't like to be moved, moist medium...sound a lot easier for me to handle. I feel a little better about it now. Lol
Don't get me wrong, I'm not an expert on these plants by any stretch of the imagination so take what I say with a grain of salt. What works in my situation may not work in yours. But I did find that if I let the soil dry even a little, I had leaf drop. I've also given them a little evening sun too and experienced leaf drop. Maybe mine are just a little spoiled but it's odd cuz all 4 seem to work on the same circadian rhythm. They are super interesting to observe if you're a plant nerd like me. They even have music preference. Mine like metal and reggae. It's really super weird. Charles Darwin studied these plants for 2 years and could not conclude why they do what they do. So if Charles Darwin couldn't do it, then I don't feel so bad.

Edmick said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not an expert on these plants by any stretch of the imagination so take what I say with a grain of salt. What works in my situation may not work in yours. But I did find that if I let the soil dry even a little, I had leaf drop. I've also given them a little evening sun too and experienced leaf drop. Maybe mine are just a little spoiled but it's odd cuz all 4 seem to work on the same circadian rhythm. They are super interesting to observe if you're a plant nerd like me. They even have music preference. Mine like metal and reggae. It's really super weird. Charles Darwin studied these plants for 2 years and could not conclude why they do what they do. So if Charles Darwin couldn't do it, then I don't feel so bad.
That's funny they prefer certain types of music. I like both of those, too. Lol. So it's sound they move to and not light? Or both? Either way, they're super-cool.

Bhuter said:
That's funny they prefer certain types of music. I like both of those, too. Lol. So it's sound they move to and not light? Or both? Either way, they're super-cool.
the plant moves to light and sound. The small leaflets as seen in my video move to sound and the larger leaves move when the lights turn on and off. The larger leaves move very slow and not noticeable with the human eye but the smaller ones are definitely noticeable. The THEORY is that that smaller leaves think that music is thunder and move up and down to direct rainfall down to the root system. I did play a thunder and rain soundtrack to them one time and they were pretty active. But again, some they did and some they didn't. I've definitely had fun observing them to say the least

Wow! That makes a lot of sense...the theory. I've noticed when plants are overwatered outside, like in the rain, the leaves will turn sideways so that water doesn't collect on the leaf but passes right by it. Not all leaves and not all plants. I'm just talking about peppers and this is just my theory/observation. Lol

What would you guys make of this? This is a tray of ghosts and has this little purple one bottom middle. I thought nutrient issue at first but none of the others look that way.. Crossed maybe? I hope not.

Attachments

• 20180425_110718.jpg
    20180425_110718.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 50
These ones are almost fully hardened off but still only getting a few hours of sun and the rest mostly shaded so maybe once they're in full sun it'll be better. Just weird that none of the others are doing it..

Edmick said:
The first thing that stands out is the jobes only makes 30 gallons at $5. My nutrient solution (dyna gro) makes over 300 gallons at $17. My cal mag (botanicare cal mag plus) is $15 and makes 480 gallons at the dose I'm using. I'm not sure if jobes is rated for hydroponic/coco coir use but the math alone would be enough to make me stick with what I have. It would cost $50 to $60 in jobes to acheive what I get for $32. Even using jobes at half strength would end up costing around the same and I think dyna gro is a higher quality product thats actually intended for hydro use.
EDIT: my bottle of dyna gro actually makes 394 gallons to be more precise.
Hey, Ed! I'm sure it's buried in here somewhere, but which Dyna Gro do you use? I've been thinking about trying foliage pro 9-3-6. I'm the guy who just uses MG.

Bhuter said:
Hey, Ed! I'm sure it's buried in here somewhere, but which Dyna Gro do you use? I've been thinking about trying foliage pro 9-3-6. I'm the guy who just uses MG.
I use the Dyna-gro grow formula but I've heard some people say the foliage pro is better. Been using the grow for about 8 years and wanted to make the switch to foliage pro but my local hydro shop doesn't stock it and I needed nutes quick for some nutrient deficient plants otherwise I would have ordered it online. I'll probably try it next year. Either way you go, they're both great products. My plants do amazing with the grow formula.

Edmick said:
I use the Dyna-gro grow formula but I've heard some people say the foliage pro is better. Been using the grow for about 8 years and wanted to make the switch to foliage pro but my local hydro shop doesn't stock it and I needed nutes quick for some nutrient deficient plants otherwise I would have ordered it online. I'll probably try it next year. Either way you go, they're both great products. My plants do amazing with the grow formula.
Awesome! Thank you! If I grow in ground with Dyna Gro, do I have to double the strength or is it the same as for potted plants?

Bhuter said:
Awesome! Thank you! If I grow in ground with Dyna Gro, do I have to double the strength or is it the same as for potted plants?
I believe they recommend 1 teaspoon per gallon for in ground plants and 1/2 teaspoon for potted plants. They have a feeding guide on their website but it doesn't match up with what's on the bottle so I actually had to call the company and find out. I like feeding twice per week in pots though so I go with 1/4 teaspoon per gallon. I would go with 1 teaspoon per gallon if you're feeding in ground once per week but 1/2 teaspoon per gallon in ground if you're feeding twice a week. I'm still playing around with my nutrients but so far they seem to be responding well to 10mls per 5 gallons (with some plants showing signs of a LITTLE bit nutrient overload) so I've been trying 8mls per 5 gallons twice a week to see how they do. They seem to like the 8mls per 5 gallons a little more but I just started doing that a week ago so we'll see. And once per week, they get cal mag but i'm growing in coco coir so you probably won't need that in regular soil. Dyna gro has cal mag in it but just not enough for coir.

Edmick said:
I believe they recommend 1 teaspoon per gallon for in ground plants and 1/2 teaspoon for potted plants. They have a feeding guide on their website but it doesn't match up with what's on the bottle so I actually had to call the company and find out. I like feeding twice per week in pots though so I go with 1/4 teaspoon per gallon. I would go with 1 teaspoon per gallon if you're feeding in ground once per week but 1/2 teaspoon per gallon in ground if you're feeding twice a week. I'm still playing around with my nutrients but so far they seem to be responding well to 10mls per 5 gallons (with some plants showing signs of a LITTLE bit nutrient overload) so I've been trying 8mls per 5 gallons twice a week to see how they do. They seem to like the 8mls per 5 gallons a little more but I just started doing that a week ago so we'll see. And once per week, they get cal mag but i'm growing in coco coir so you probably won't need that in regular soil. Dyna gro has cal mag in it but just not enough for coir.
Wow, man! That was everything I wanted to know. A tsp/gal is a very small amount. That's great news! I was just wondering how cost effective it would be. I think I might give it a go this season. Thank you very much!

Bhuter said:
Wow, man! That was everything I wanted to know. A tsp/gal is a very small amount. That's great news! I was just wondering how cost effective it would be. I think I might give it a go this season. Thank you very much!
At FULL (in ground) strength, the small bottle would make just shy of 200 gallons. It all depends how rich your soil already is though too. I would start with much less than that. Especially for peppers.

Back