• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sideshow Gardens Grow Log.

Here's where it all starts at Sideshow Gardens. The seedling room. Heat and humidity controlled. The trays will only spend a couple days here til they get moved outside. Our daytime temps have been wonderful lately but night time temps are still pretty low so they all get brought back inside at night. Quite the chore since the seedling room is upstairs and I currently have way more trays than what is pictured. I've started tomatoes and peppers so far but that accounts for only a quarter of what I'll be growing. Stay tuned for further updates. Thanks for looking!

Bhuter said:
Lmao! I wasn't really sure if you crossed before or not. Hell, I didn't know you did sauce reviews until a few days ago. Crossing is tons of fun...seeing what YOU created. Here's a great place to start...if you haven't seen it:

https://fatalii.net/Growing_chile_peppers/Breeding

I say try both! Aleppo x P. Dreadie would make some thick bonnets or small Aleppo's or...lol.
I've done a lot of reading on it but I really want to learn it more on a scientific level. Been taking some online botany courses to get a better understanding of things but haven't even scratched the surface of genetics or anything like that. Ideally I would love to dedicate my entire grow room to crosses and interesting varieties that wont grow in my environment but a lot of space is taken up growing for my business so right now I can only spare a small portion of it for personal use. Would be great if I could convince my wife to turn the other extra room into a grow room too but that would be a tough one. Electric bill is already high enough.

Edmick said:
I've done a lot of reading on it but I really want to learn it more on a scientific level. Been taking some online botany courses to get a better understanding of things but haven't even scratched the surface of genetics or anything like that. Ideally I would love to dedicate my entire grow room to crosses and interesting varieties that wont grow in my environment but a lot of space is taken up growing for my business so right now I can only spare a small portion of it for personal use. Would be great if I could convince my wife to turn the other extra room into a grow room too but that would be a tough one. Electric bill is already high enough.
Are you thinking of dedicating your grow room to crossing peppers exclusively, or something/anything else, like orchids or other exotics? An extra extra grow room would be most excellent.

Bhuter said:
Are you thinking of dedicating your grow room to crossing peppers exclusively, or something/anything else, like orchids or other exotics? An extra extra grow room would be most excellent.
It all depends. If I can make enough money on plant sales to run the grow room full time then I will and I will use it for personal use too but if I only do enough sales to support growing for business then i'll have to shut it down til next year. I'm growing ornamentals for my business too so that will get me through the slow times of year (hopefully) but that will probably only require half my grow room. I'll just have to crunch some numbers based on income and see what I can do. If I had to choose though, I would devote space to crossing peppers. I crossed over from hobby to business so I need to be really aware of what everything is costing so I can determine what's worth it and what's not. It was definitely a lot more fun when I did this as a hobby and didn't need to care how much everything cost haha

Walchit said:
I'm maxed out on my budget for sure lol
I didn't even have a budget. Not cuz i'm rich but because i'm stupid and didn't set one. Just dumping money into this venture with no clear idea on whether it'll even work.. Worst case scenario, I have a shit load of cool plants and a bunch of growing equipment. It's a win either way right? haha

I was wondering how long it would take for the spider mites to begin their assault. This is a lemon cucumber plant but they seem to love cucumbers, squash and zucchini and they tend to leave my peppers alone. Weird. Hopefully thats all thats wrong with it. The neem oil and detergent always seems to do the trick though.

Attachments

• 20180423_115831.jpg
    20180423_115831.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 55
Edmick said:
So as you guys probably already know, i'm pretty obsessed with allepo peppers and I think I wanna try crossing them with some hotter varieties this year to see what kind of cool stuff I can come up with. What do you guys think it would be cool to cross it with? I don't have a ton of hot varieties going but what I do have I, reapers, ghosts, p dreadie scotch bonnets, swamp thing, giant white habaneros, purple habaneros, dragons claw and maybe a couple others that I don't remember. But based on these listed, what do you guys think would create a cool pheno with good heat and flavor? I'll probably use the Aleppo plant as the parent plant to see if I can keep a similar pheno. Not sure if that's really how it works but i'm just experimenting. Thoughts?

Are you thinking for fresh eating or dried & flaked?

nmlarson said:

Are you thinking for fresh eating or dried & flaked?
Great question.. I haven't really thought about that part. I use flakes and fresh peppers pretty much equally when I cook but with the amount of plants I grow and the fact that it's just me and the wife in the house it would be good to have something I can dehydrate too so it doesn't go to waste. Could always freeze them too I guess..

Edmick said:
Great question.. I haven't really thought about that part. I use flakes and fresh peppers pretty much equally when I cook but with the amount of plants I grow and the fact that it's just me and the wife in the house it would be good to have something I can dehydrate too so it doesn't go to waste. Could always freeze them too I guess..
Do you do any canning?  My first thought, after reading this, was to cross it with something big, sweet and fleshy like an Elephant Ear, and use it to make ajvar.  If you could isolate the Aleppo heat and flavors, along with the physical characteristics of the Elephant Ear, the salty, raisin-y flavor, along with the heat, would be delicious with the roasted eggplant.  Split 'em, stuff 'em and roast 'em.  Roast, peel, make a marinade with flake Aleppo, S&P, lemon juice, olive oil and white wine vinegar, then can.

nmlarson said:
Do you do any canning?  My first thought, after reading this, was to cross it with something big, sweet and fleshy like an Elephant Ear, and use it to make ajvar.  If you could isolate the Aleppo heat and flavors, along with the physical characteristics of the Elephant Ear, the salty, raisin-y flavor, along with the heat, would be delicious with the roasted eggplant.  Split 'em, stuff 'em and roast 'em.  Roast, peel, make a marinade with flake Aleppo, S&P, lemon juice, olive oil and white wine vinegar, then can.
That sounds pretty good. I've done canning a couple times but my garden is much bigger this year so I plan to do a lot more. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hard to get it focused but I finally got some new growth on my plumeria. It looked great last year but the wind stripped it clean. I was worried it wouldn't come back. I grew this from a cutting that my old boss got me when he was in Hawaii.

Attachments

• 20180423_171921-1.jpg
    20180423_171921-1.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 49
Edmick said:
Hard to get it focused but I finally got some new growth on my plumeria. It looked great last year but the wind stripped it clean. I was worried it wouldn't come back. I grew this from a cutting that my old boss got me when he was in Hawaii.
That's pretty cool! You have a knack with exotics. I hope it grows well again. I just caught the video of your Dancing Plant yesterday (I'm pretty sure that was yours). That's a pretty nifty plant. The gf wants one. Lol. Cool stuff!

Bhuter said:
That's pretty cool! You have a knack with exotics. I hope it grows well again. I just caught the video of your Dancing Plant yesterday (I'm pretty sure that was yours). That's a pretty nifty plant. The gf wants one. Lol. Cool stuff!
Yep those were my plants in the video. I have them growing in a display case in my garage under LEDs. It's a very interesting plant. I'll be starting some more seeds. I'll let you know when I have some available.

Attachments

• 20180302_183745-1.jpg
    20180302_183745-1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 48
Edmick said:
Yep those were my plants in the video. I have them growing in a display case in my garage under LEDs. It's a very interesting plant. I'll be starting some more seeds. I'll let you know when I have some available.
Oh wow! Thank you very much! I'd really appreciate it. Those are beautiful and the LED's make the display even better!

Bhuter said:
Oh wow! Thank you very much! I'd really appreciate it. Those are beautiful and the LED's make the display even better!
I've actually been meaning to clone these anyways so I should have some plants sooner than later. They clone very well with some rooting powder and they start "dancing" immediately. Much better than waiting a couple months. I'll get these clones done in the next couple days.

Edmick said:
I've actually been meaning to clone these anyways so I should have some plants sooner than later. They clone very well with some rooting powder and they start "dancing" immediately. Much better than waiting a couple months. I'll get these clones done in the next couple days.
Fantastic, my friend! That's great news! I just quickly read a little about growing them. Sounds fairly simple. Strong sun will be the hardest part...inside. Awesome, man. Thanks again!

I was just watching these dudes out by you cloning with aloe vera plants, well the goo from inside them. They mixed it with water and soaked the cutting in it, then after 24 hrs I think they stuck it in a piece of aloe before going to rapid rooters. They said it works good

Back