• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sideshow Gardens Grow Log.

Here's where it all starts at Sideshow Gardens. The seedling room. Heat and humidity controlled. The trays will only spend a couple days here til they get moved outside. Our daytime temps have been wonderful lately but night time temps are still pretty low so they all get brought back inside at night. Quite the chore since the seedling room is upstairs and I currently have way more trays than what is pictured. I've started tomatoes and peppers so far but that accounts for only a quarter of what I'll be growing. Stay tuned for further updates. Thanks for looking!

Did these as an experiment to see how it worked out. The top portion of the picture was started in coco coir and worm castings (1 cup castings to every gallon of coir) and the bottom portion was started in straight coir. Not a huge difference but definitely noticable.

Edmick said:
Did these as an experiment to see how it worked out. The top portion of the picture was started in coco coir and worm castings (1 cup castings to every gallon of coir) and the bottom portion was started in straight coir. Not a huge difference but definitely noticable.

Well sure, coir is blank.So the worm dirt added goodies..

I did something different the last 2 seasons. I germed in 3.5 pots; 2/3 deep in potting soil, the top inch a mix of 5 parts coir, 1 part perlite, 1 part potting soil. I totally soaked the medium before planting. They germed and grew into the "good stuff", if you want to call it that. But they did really well, and I didn't have to worry about that first transplant, as they were already there. Then I hit them with small doses of fish ferts once they had some size...next was the #1 pots and then the dirt..

I have never used coir but the worm castings have certainly proved beneficial to your seedlings development... great to see opsosing coloured leaves ... all the very best for your grow looks like you have nailed it ... ps brown eggs for me!

Edmick said:
It's crazy how quick corn grows. This glass gem rainbow corn just sprouted a couple days ago!

I just have to ask. Why not just sow the corn directly? It does really well that way ;)

Devv said:

I just have to ask. Why not just sow the corn directly? It does really well that way ;)

My nights are still cold and I wanted to get a jump. I had them outside in cells day and night for a week and had no germination so I moved them inside into the propagation mat and had germination in 2 days. I hate direct sowing anything. Ive started so many plants indoors that people say to only direct sow and my plants always do amazing. Anytime someone says to not do something, i do it anyways. Lol

Edmick said:
My nights are still cold and I wanted to get a jump. I had them outside in cells day and night for a week and had no germination so I moved them inside into the propagation mat and had germination in 2 days. I hate direct sowing anything. Ive started so many plants indoors that people say to only direct sow and my plants always do amazing. Anytime someone says to not do something, i do it anyways. Lol

Hey, if you're having success go with it!

I was just curious ;)

Devv said:

Hey, if you're having success go with it!

I was just curious ;)
I will say this though, it would have been much easier to direct sow. I just put most of them in dirt yesterday and transplanting 70 corn plants by hand is a pain in the ass. I also just tilled the dirt recently so I wanted to give any dormant weed seeds time to sprout so I could take care of them before I had anything planted. I really didn't wanna do any weeding around seedlings for fear of damaging them.

Check out these cool flowers I found growing wild in my yard. Anyone have any idea what they are?

Attachments

• 20180404_123548-1.jpg
    20180404_123548-1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 55
Edmick said:
Great, another invasive weed. Lol they are cool though. I dug a couple up to put in containers.

Noooooo, dont do it..They will invade your chilis too. We also have that thing growing all over the place here.

That covers our back yard if left unmowed. The only weeds I like to keep around are mock strawberries and melothria pendula, which both showed up last year when the fenced in area around the pool was slightly neglected.

AndyW said:
That covers our back yard if left unmowed. The only weeds I like to keep around are mock strawberries and melothria pendula, which both showed up last year when the fenced in area around the pool was slightly neglected.

It seems that Borax will kill the creeping charlie.

I love how bonnie plants grows 5 plants in the same pot to make it look all bushy and appealing. A simple count of the cotyledons is a dead giveaway.

Attachments

• 20180406_092305.jpg
    20180406_092305.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 50
Back