• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sideshow Gardens Grow Log.

Here's where it all starts at Sideshow Gardens. The seedling room. Heat and humidity controlled. The trays will only spend a couple days here til they get moved outside. Our daytime temps have been wonderful lately but night time temps are still pretty low so they all get brought back inside at night. Quite the chore since the seedling room is upstairs and I currently have way more trays than what is pictured. I've started tomatoes and peppers so far but that accounts for only a quarter of what I'll be growing. Stay tuned for further updates. Thanks for looking!

Edmick said:
I love how bonnie plants grows 5 plants in the same pot to make it look all bushy and appealing. A simple count of the cotyledons is a dead giveaway.

That's gonna be a prob as they grow out. Even if you get a really big frigging container... 

TrentL said:

That's gonna be a prob as they grow out. Even if you get a really big frigging container... 
Yep. They do it just to make the plants look better on the shelf knowing full well that the plant isn't meant to grow like that. One of the cotyledons still had the blue treated seed stuck to it too.  Last thing I needed was more plants but it's pretty hard to control myself in the garden center lol. I should call them and ask why they do that. Just to see what they say.

I added a few hanging baskets in the backyard recently and planted these "Super Bells Holy Moly!" flowers in them. I really like the color pattern on them. They're growing super fast too. Created by proven winners nursery.

Attachments

• 20180406_140102.jpg
    20180406_140102.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 52
Bonnie is one of the reasons I grow from seeds. It seems all the stores stock their over priced plants around here. I'd love to offer them some local competition after I retire.

I guess you can't really blame Bonnie's, but every plant I've ever gotten from Bonnie's has had aphids or something similar

Anyone ever used this stuff? Green cleaner. For spider mites and other soft bodied insects. I've usually just been making my own insecticidal soap with dawn and neem oil but figured I would give this a shot. Had a really bad infestation of spider mites on my zucchini last year so looking to really stay on top of it this year.

Attachments

• 20180407_144214.jpg
    20180407_144214.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 49
I haven't tried that, but am happy with Fertilome Triple Action. It's a Neem based product, which I used late season to combat the Leaf Hoppers.

Let us know how it works ;)

Heres a couple pics of how bad it was. The first pic if of a green garden stake covered but it looked like that ALL over my zucchini plants. I dont know how I didn't catch it sooner. The second picture of my t shirt that I set on fire because I draped my shirt on the planter while swimming and it was COVERED too. Burn nasty little bastards lol! I really liked that shirt too. There may have been some alcohol involved in my decision to set it on fire...

Attachments

• 9qSs5If.jpg
    9qSs5If.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 54
  • XCRj9He.jpg
    XCRj9He.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 57
Devv said:

Do you apply in a feeding or via foliar?
This was my first dose using it because I was noticing some deficiency issues due to the fact that they're in straight coco coir. The hydro nutes I'm using apparently don't have enough cal mag in it to compensate for the coir so I'm having to supplement. Anyways, to answer your question, I watered them with it. Ideally I would have added it to the hydro nutes on their feeding day (today) but I didn't want to wait to get them some relief. Next sunday I'll just add it to their regular nutrient solution.

The reason I asked is I use it, mainly for the maters. I do apply it to the peppers as well, just because if the maters really need it the peppers should too. I have found the foliar application works so much better. 2 times a week 1 tsp per gallon.

No more BER

Edit: LOL BLM? Where's my head?

Devv said:
The reason I asked is I use it, mainly for the maters. I do apply it to the peppers as well, just because if the maters really need it the peppers should too. I have found the foliar application works so much better. 2 times a week 1 tsp per gallon.

No more BLM
Good to know. Been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out the best methods and dosages for application. TrentL has been really helpful too. I also have around 2,000 plants right now so it needs to be simple. Adding it to the nutrient solution would be killing 2 birds with one stone but I wouldn't mind trying the foliar spray. Thanks for the advise!

Devv said:
Here, my soil has a very high Ph. Lots of nutrient lockout. The best thing I did this season was to have the soil test and amend it to specs. I used Logan Labs in Ohio.
All mine were in raised beds with fresh potting soil so I'm not sure why it happened but obviously it didn't have enough for their needs.

AndyW said:
I guess you can't really blame Bonnie's, but every plant I've ever gotten from Bonnie's has had aphids or something similar

I got Septoria in my garden one year from their tomatoes. Never again, from now on, I'm only growing from seed. That crap started about a week after I planted one of their maters and spread like wildfire from that initial source.

Back