• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Silver Surfer's 2010 Grow

What temp do you germinate yours at?
AND
Do you leave a cover over them when you ar not photographing them? :)

Mine are covered and at 86 degrees, but MAN the condensation keeps it REAL wet in there!!!

Katrina said:
What temp do you germinate yours at?
AND
Do you leave a cover over them when you ar not photographing them? :)

Mine are covered and at 86 degrees, but MAN the condensation keeps it REAL wet in there!!!

Hey Kat;

Under the light the temp stays at 85 to 86F. I did have them covered, but after the first few emerged I removed the clear lid and resorted to giving the trays a misting 2 to 3 times daily to keep them moist. In the past when I've left the lid on the trays the first to emerge would become very leggy due to the light diffraction/attenuation caused by the heavy condensation.

It probably wouldn't have been a problem had I only planted one or two varieties per tray and had them all pop within a couple of days. The next time I plant this many different types I'm thinking about using small cups for each variety covered with plastic wrap so I can avoid this constant moisture monitoring. :)

Silver_Surfer said:
The next time I plant this many different types I'm thinking about using small cups for each variety covered with plastic wrap so I can avoid this constant moisture monitoring. :)

I used to do that and it works. Nice seedlings you have there. Good luck with your grows.

I covered the empty cells with saran wrap to help with moisture retention. Easy enough when they are together, but time consuming if they're not. It did the trick though.

jacob

2-19-2010 @ 14 Days 16hrs

A few more up in this morning, will be potting up most this PM.

I was gonna take some shots but the batteries were dead. :(

TRAY ONE
2-Big Sun Habanero
1-Caribbean Red
1-Aji Limo Rojo
2-White Habanero
2-Aji Panca
2-Jamaican Hot Chocolate
2-Jamaica Red Scotch Bonnet
2-Yellow 7 Pot
2-Cumari o Passarinho
1-Aji Lucento
1-Manzano Orange
1-Manzano Amarillo
2-Chocolate Habanero
2-Hot Paper Lantern
2-Red Savina
2-7 Pot Brain Strain
2-Trinidad Douglah
4-Trinidad Scorpion
2-Bhut Jolokia
1-Antillias Caribbean
1-Yellow Habanero
2-Manzano Red
1-Fatalii
1-Tobago Seasoning
1-Congo Trinidad
1-Burkina Yellow Scotch Bonnet
2-Orange Habanero
1-Dorset Naga

TRAY TWO
2-Aji Amarillo
2-Lemon Drop
2-Queen Laurie PI1281405
2-Aconcagua
1-Black Hungarian
1-Costeno Amarillo
2-Jalapeno Jaloro(yellow)
2-Jalapeno M
2-Mesilla
2-Mucho Nacho
1-Pasilla Bajio(Chilaca/Chile Negro)
2-Pimiento
1-Pimento Super Red
2-Serrano
2-Bishop's Hat
2-Aji Angelo
2-Polombo (PI439411)
2-Aji Cereza
2-Fresno
2-Aji Limon
2-Bellingrath Gardens
2-Chinese Five-Color
2-Piment d' Espelette
1-Punjab
1-Charleston Hot
1-Marconi Red
1-Aji de la Tierra
1-Joe's Long Cayenne
1-Mulato Isleno
2-Golden Nugget
2-Nardello
1-Fish

Set them out in the shade today to get some fresh air.
A few are a little leggy and a couple have some yellowing going on but most seem happy.
I'll update the list of live plants when I bring them back in later this evening.
I started some more seed 4-20-10, but still haven't popped any Burkina Yellow Habanero, Yellow Scorpion, Marconi Gold, or Turkish Delight yet but am determined. :)

4weeks3-4-10.jpg

I potted them up and moved them outdoors 24/7 this past Sunday because I needed the room
for my tomato starts. The temps haven't been too bad thus far as lows haven't dipped below
48F and averaged mid 50's for the low, but there hasn't been much sun and the plants have
slowed. We have had 3 inches of rain in the past 24 hours with another 3 inches expected
today with current thunderstorms continuing into tomorrow. Flash flood warnings are out. :(

The low temps will drop back to around 40F this weekend so I'll need to move them back
indoors at night until it warms back up again.

My cheap camera doesn't work very well in low light, but here is a shot of the 86 I have
out on the front porch screaming for the sun to return.

Rainy3-10-10.jpg

They'll get their first taste of a little of the bubbly this evening.
Pooty.jpg

Those plants have gotten big in the last month! I am always tempted to put my plants out around March 15, but we always seem to have one more cold front or some nasty spring storms between now and April 15 when I plant out. Do you think about the stuff in your bucket when you are eating your peppers? Plants look nice and green.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Those plants have gotten big in the last month! I am always tempted to put my plants out around March 15, but we always seem to have one more cold front or some nasty spring storms between now and April 15 when I plant out. Do you think about the stuff in your bucket when you are eating your peppers? Plants look nice and green.

They're doing fair considering their cold turkey weaning from the light and sharp intro to the cooler environment. Tomorrow will mark 5 weeks since the seed was planted.

Yeah, we had frost the first week in April last year and I remember a couple of years with snow in early April. I need a larger grow box so the peppers had to move out and it will be a pain having to move them indoors at night this weekend, but hopefully the warmer weather will return soon.

Think about the bucket's content's? Nah, but the plants love to get drunk on the stuff. :)

millworkman said:
Yeah, plants look awesome, whats in the bucket?

That's a brewing batch of my chick-poo-tea along with a few other additives. :D

Thanks guys.

After more than a week of clouds, the sun finally returns today. :)
Maybe now they will awaken from suspended animation and start growing again if I can
ever get the PH for their tea feeding correctly adjusted and temps will climb.
3-19-10_Sun.jpg

I started preparing their final resting place yesterday. A few will stay in containers,
but most will go in ground. The high today is 72F, but a cold front will arrive this
weekend along with more rain, with temps dipping into the upper 30's. :(
BlankSlate.jpg

That plot looks great. If I had dirt like that here all my plants would go inground. Unfortunately for me, all I have a rock hard clay. It has taken a couple of years to get something halfway usable and nowhere near that nice in tilth.

jacob

Wow SS! Those things don't look like they slowed down too much! I am a bit jealous of the room you have to grow your garden but I don't envy the work involved to keep it. I'm looking forward to following your log.

Best of luck to you man.:)

Thanks p. It's gonna give me a sore back before it's setup, but after the plastic mulch is in place I'm hoping to sit back and reap the fruits of my labor for awhile. :)

Back