• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Silver_Surfer's Soggy Setback 2013

When the ground almost gets dry enough to work, it rains again.
Soggy5-6-13_zps48858a8e.jpg

Plants are long past ready and beginning to get root bound.
Plants5-6-13_zpsccad1e1f.jpg

More rain today. At least the SE no longer suffers from a drought.

Hell yea. Sounds fair to me, you'll have to remind me of your brand though. I want to say it was ice house or natural ice or something along those lines

annie57 said:
"Hey, y'all. My name is Vincent and I am a practicing podaholic." Allen, if I lived closer to ya, I go ya 2 24's of your choice for just the black Naga and chocolate fatalii ;) ! Very pretty X-tra cart, there!

Would be nice, I'm sure we could do a lot of garden produce swappin'. :)

thecollegekid said:
beer for peppers seems like a good trade to me

Yep, I thought so too. ;)

Devv said:
I got pulled away yesterday before I could leave more than a one word comment...

Pods everywhere is a good thing!

Very impressive grow!

Thanks Devv

PIC 1 said:
Pretty impressive how the plants have forked/stretched and podded up in such a short time. I'm glad to see what the UBSC looks like, I've got that growing, so far just some flowers perking up.  
Do you get any sunscald on the pods this early in the season....I can see the canopies are filling up with pods faster than the plants can kick out their  leaves...
Great looking grow, yer right on par for some of those illustrated harvested shots like last year !

I haven't had sun scald problems in the past, but this is an unusually late start with plants that were crowded together in small pots for too long, so they are starting with a little different growth structure to which I'm accustomed. I'll just have to wait and see how their canopy unfolds.

The UBSC is one I'm anxious to try fresh. The seeds I received from Big Cedar had some dried placenta in the bag that was tongue searing.
devil.gif

Portuge said:
I do remember when these were put into the ground and man all of these plants have major poddage already.... Anyways very cool poddage you got going on over there SS...

They know that they need to make up for lost time, so I'll give em an E for effort. :lol: Thanks

coheed196 said:
Hell yea. Sounds fair to me, you'll have to remind me of your brand though. I want to say it was ice house or natural ice or something along those lines

I haven't tried Natural Ice, but willing to give it a go. If it's cold beer I'll drink it. :)

Come on down when ready; gettin' tired of waterin' these thirsty devils.

Here's one of my fuzzies that has a few seed sacks danglin'.

Ecuador Red Rocoto
EcuadorRedRocoto_zpsc3a5ece0.jpg

EcuadorRedRocotopods_zpsf498a6f6.jpg

Beautiful plants SS. It has been a couple of weeks since I checked in. Wow,  they have grown so much in that short time.

I just went back and checked out the seed baggie that Brandon sent me and in fact, it had a half of the UBSC pod.  I was like...what the hell...and took a nice chomp out of it.  You weren't lying, that thing is a scorcher.  Put it this way, it totally ruined my 18 year Jameson.  Kinda disappointed I didn't plant it, but it WILL get a place in my 2014 garden!  Thanks for clearing it up for me!

romy6 said:
 Beautiful pube you got there SS. :dance:

Setting the bar high per usual .

Hey I see a container in the background  asking for another plant.  ;)

Yeah, and I have one for it too. :lol: Need a cool snap for more pube pod sets.

Jeff H said:
Beautiful plants SS. It has been a couple of weeks since I checked in. Wow,  they have grown so much in that short time.

Thanks, they like this hot humid weather.

MGOLD86 said:
I just went back and checked out the seed baggie that Brandon sent me and in fact, it had a half of the UBSC pod.  I was like...what the hell...and took a nice chomp out of it.  You weren't lying, that thing is a scorcher.  Put it this way, it totally ruined my 18 year Jameson.  Kinda disappointed I didn't plant it, but it WILL get a place in my 2014 garden!  Thanks for clearing it up for me!

I'll be sure and send ya some pods to sample when they ripen. ;)

I got a hitch in my git-a-long today, so just a quick shot of the garden overall.
Garden-6-23-13_zps34392879.jpg

Still looking very good S.S. looks like you have some serious land there, I noticed in one field it looks like you had a nice covered  stand for some deer/turkey/hog hunting in what ever. do you have cattle too?
Your plants are going crazy now that the weather has warmed up, I like the 7 pod Bubblegum and the UBSC looks like a real bad boy. I've grown Rocoto's in the past and like their flavor, but I don't have much room to overwinter very many plants as they take up room needed for the next season's grow.The rocoto's/ manzano's just don't like my weather much I will be getting some seeds of the SBJ7 for my 2014 garden I do have one that is a "not SBJ7" and "not Madballz rusty's 7pod" so I'm wondering just what they are. What gets me is some of them are really bushy with side shoots going every where especially one that I got labeled as a Super Scorp. along with the one red Primo I have, really crazy growth. the biggest plants are what may turn out to be a Bishop hat X C. praetermissum cross, I started it a week after all the others and its a good foot taller than all the C. chinense that are growing.
Its putting out flowers now so I will be able to tell hopefully if it crossed or not, its even bigger than the Birgit's locoto that I have growing for the biggest plant contest of course all my Birgets are way smaller than the ones grown in Calif. Tex. and Florida where they don't get the cold weather like Missouri. 
Next year I plan to start a month earlier with my seeds along with more and better lights and a good temp controlled grow mat. All that should give me some stronger plants. I did have a good grow mat but it quit on me, so I set up a heater to blow under my table, but near the end it had a melt down, luckily it was getting warm enough that the seedlings didn't need it any more.

SS, finally got a chance to visit your glog.  Did you make the
row shaper last year?  I thought I remembered it from last season.
At any rate, really like your garden space, again.  The extra width over
last year's should make things much easier for you later.  

Looking forward to more great pod pics.

I've somehow missed this glog 'til now.  That's a great looking place you've got there, Allen, and a really clean garden.

Jamison said:
Purely amazing.   Soooooo green!   Great job man!

Thanks Jamison. The plants do all the work now.

coheed196 said:
Here'sa few of your plants SS

Looks like ya gave em enough room to spread out. Four all ya potted up?

wildseed57 said:
Still looking very good S.S. looks like you have some serious land there, I noticed in one field it looks like you had a nice covered  stand for some deer/turkey/hog hunting in what ever. do you have cattle too?
Your plants are going crazy now that the weather has warmed up, I like the 7 pod Bubblegum and the UBSC looks like a real bad boy. I've grown Rocoto's in the past and like their flavor, but I don't have much room to overwinter very many plants as they take up room needed for the next season's grow.The rocoto's/ manzano's just don't like my weather much I will be getting some seeds of the SBJ7 for my 2014 garden I do have one that is a "not SBJ7" and "not Madballz rusty's 7pod" so I'm wondering just what they are. What gets me is some of them are really bushy with side shoots going every where especially one that I got labeled as a Super Scorp. along with the one red Primo I have, really crazy growth. the biggest plants are what may turn out to be a Bishop hat X C. praetermissum cross, I started it a week after all the others and its a good foot taller than all the C. chinense that are growing.
Its putting out flowers now so I will be able to tell hopefully if it crossed or not, its even bigger than the Birgit's locoto that I have growing for the biggest plant contest of course all my Birgets are way smaller than the ones grown in Calif. Tex. and Florida where they don't get the cold weather like Missouri. 
Next year I plan to start a month earlier with my seeds along with more and better lights and a good temp controlled grow mat. All that should give me some stronger plants. I did have a good grow mat but it quit on me, so I set up a heater to blow under my table, but near the end it had a melt down, luckily it was getting warm enough that the seedlings didn't need it any more.

Deer and turkey, no hogs or cattle here. Had cows and horses in the past. Pubes here were hit or miss in my climate as well, but I think I've found a variety that is more suited for the summer temps here. The Bishop hat X C. praetermissum cross sounds like a nice one to stabilize. I may go the other direction and start seeds a month later next season. If it follows suit with the crazy weather this year that should work out about right. Best of luck this season.

Bodeen said:
Nice looking garden.  Love the clean look to it.

Thanks Bodeen. It's a little effort to set up, but well worth the labor it saves throughout the season.

Devv said:
One doesn't need close-ups to see the lush growth.

Hope the hitch gits!

Hitch has gone, thanks.

PaulG said:
SS, finally got a chance to visit your glog.  Did you make the
row shaper last year?  I thought I remembered it from last season.
At any rate, really like your garden space, again.  The extra width over
last year's should make things much easier for you later.  

Looking forward to more great pod pics.

Hi Paul, thanks. Gotta get over to your grow log soon. Wish I could visit more grows, but dial up on a pic heavy site is a bitch though. :(

Nope, used a hoe to hill and a garden rake to flatten the tops of the rows. I just finished the shaper this Spring and only wish I had done it sooner.

WalkGood said:
Hope your hitch gets better, awesome pics and love da grow \o/

All better now. Just needed a little muscle relaxer (JD). ;) Thanks

Sawyer said:
I've somehow missed this glog 'til now.  That's a great looking place you've got there, Allen, and a really clean garden.

Thanks Sawyer, it keeps me busy.

Garden seems to have found another gear. Here it is 5 days ago...
Garden-6-23-13
Garden-6-23-13_zps34392879.jpg

and today
Garden-6-28-13  Plants are starting to set and ripen fruit.
Garden6-28-13_zps9c9ec839.jpg

Squash is starting to set some.
Squashbloom6-28-13_zps8553a80f.jpg

Cantaloupe is blooming.
Cantaloupe6-28-13_zps9cd23e19.jpg

Maters are setting.
MaterssettingCB6-28-13_zps0f682c8d.jpg

Not too large, but will make a sandwich in a few days.
MaterredML6-28-13_zps4db9499f.jpg

Aji Pineapple
AjiPineapple6-28-13_zps9cbc6035.jpg

Big Jamaican
BigJamaican6-28-13_zps386faf96.jpg

Thanks

Chocolate Morouga
ChocoMorouga6-28-13_zps84975af5.jpg

Douglah BB strain
DouglahBBstrain6-28-13_zps37a6b73f.jpg

Fatalii
Fatalii6-28-13_zps97a214f2.jpg

Infinity
Infinity6-28-13_zps9eb227c4.jpg

Jonah  This plant has been pruned. Can ya see the horned devil?
Jonah6-28-13_zps8b383a4c.jpg

First time I've seen one on a chili plant; they usually go for my maters.
Hornworm6-28-13_zps92f54c9c.jpg

Peach Bhut
PeachBhut6-28-13_zps25b31df5.jpg

Pimenta Barro Do Robiero
PimentaBarroDoRobiero6-28-13_zps102bd411.jpg

Pimenta Elisir
PimentaElisir6-28-13_zpsbf1220d9.jpg

SB7J  These are gettin' meaner lookin' by the day.
SB7J6-28-13_zps21c5a454.jpg

Six more

Back