• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking smoke pepper help

hello all!!
this weekend I intend to smoke some habaneros... but I have some doubt about it.
how long i need to smoke then? i want to make pownder, and smoke some jalapeños(to make chiplote sauce) some one have a good recipe for chiplote sauce? i love the Tabasco chiplote...
Thanks

The word chipotle is way overused and improperly used in my opinion. True chipotles are smoke dried in smoke pits over several days with native Mexican woods and tecniques to preserve them
Smoking habs can be simple or more elaborate. To start, I'd smoke them on low heat for a few hours and then try them in a sauce, then smoke more if needed or finish drying them in a dehydrator

I usually smoke them about 4 hours on dying out ashes and then dehydrate - I find that there is a time when more isnt better -er

thanks for help.
i Have some frozen habaneros from last harvest, I need to try diferent ways to find the best way for my taste!
pics until monday :D

The last time we did this we just sliced the peppers in half and tossed them in a tiered grill/smoker.
We roasted them for a bit, then added the wet hickory wood, reduced the air, and smoked them for several hours.
Then off to the dehydrater, then the coffee mill.......... roasted/smoked pepper-powder! :)
smoke.jpg

Back