• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking smoked habs:)

Hi Shredder, those do look very nice!

I'm checking out all the pod smoking threads getting ready to smoke some myself.

If you don't mind a suggestion about your pictures, when you upload to PB, set the size to "large", which is actually a little larger than what is allowed for the THP forum, but THP will automatically resize your images.

I can't remember exactly where it is in PB to set the size, but it's talked about here-
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/14109-posting-pictures/

Those chiles are so pretty. Thanks for sharing.

Paul1- from what I understand, chipotles are ripe jalapenos that have been smoke dried. The purist way is to dry them over several days. There's a discussion around here somewhere about the whole process. You can probably find it with the search function.

basically, all chipotles are smoked chiles, but not all smoked chiles are chipotles. (or something like that)

SL

This is exactly what I've had in mind for the past couple of weeks but haven't gotten around to doing it yet... Which wood do you guys like best for smoking peppers?

This is exactly what I've had in mind for the past couple of weeks but haven't gotten around to doing it yet... Which wood do you guys like best for smoking peppers?

Hey Flakes,

I prefer to use Hickory or Cherry when smoking peppers, other woods for meat, poultry. or fish

I just finished making a "Smoked Cranberry" hot sauce for the holidays, I smoked Caribbean Red's and Devil Serrano's using Hickory wood......it's a great mix with fresh cranberries and blueberries...

My Italian friend smokes with dryed "Grape Vines"......so any type of fruit wood should work...

Hey Flakes,

I prefer to use Hickory or Cherry when smoking peppers, other woods for meat, poultry. or fish

I just finished making a "Smoked Cranberry" hot sauce for the holidays, I smoked Caribbean Red's and Devil Serrano's using Hickory wood......it's a great mix with fresh cranberries and blueberries...

My Italian friend smokes with dryed "Grape Vines"......so any type of fruit wood should work...

Thanks, I'm going to try cherry and I've got a couple of grapevines that'll need a trim soon, so might as well try that too. :)

Those look great dude! I've been just dehydrating my peppers. I think it's time for me to try my luck at smoking them too.
Nice work!

A question about smoking peppers. Can they be smoked after having been dried or only while fresh? Does the smoking process dry them or do they need to be saved in a jar with some preserving fluid?

Hi InTheBasement. :welcome:

I don't think dried pods would take the smoke very well. Most smoke fresh pods. But it's worth a shot. Maybe, make it a really moist smoke with water in a side pan, that might partially re-hydrate the dried pods enough to get some smoke into them. Sounds like a good experiment if noone else has done it.

from my (VERY limited) experience, it only takes a couple/few hours for the smoke to get into the chiles. When I did it, the pods were still very moist, so I proceeded to dry or freeze them. You could continue with them in the smoker until they are dried, but I have a feeling they would get REALLY smoky flavored if the smoke continued for the whole time they were in there drying.

Hopefully others who have done more smoking than I will chime in.

SL

I have the same exact saute pans and use them the same exact way. Absolutely the best. :cheers:

At Bed Bath & Beyond I found a steel basket though that works even better for the Garlic - check it out: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/74359-3-1-stainless-steel-mesh-grilling-basket.html

I have 4 of the square BBQ saute pans, but only one detachable handle! When I bought the others, no handle. I mean, it works out ok since I only handle them one at a time, but still...kind of a head scratcher that the others came sans. :mope:

As for the time question, I've chatted with Jay about this off-line a bit - it really depends on how much smoke you want to infuse, and the type of wood you're using. Check out the "what kind of woods" topic - I posted a link to a great grid.

Heavier smoke = less time, light smoke = more time. I really just like to lightly infuse my peppers as a hint of smoke - so I'm fire-roasting *stirring every 3-5 mins for evenness) and then just dusting them with a 30-40 min smoke of fruit-wood. If I'm using Oak, Hickory or Mesquite I tend to do 15-20 mins as those can be really overpowering really fast. With the amount of garlic I use I don't want to bury that roasted garlic flavor under the wood.

So long answer for "uh, personal preference". :rofl:

Hi InTheBasement. :welcome:

I don't think dried pods would take the smoke very well. Most smoke fresh pods. But it's worth a shot. Maybe, make it a really moist smoke with water in a side pan, that might partially re-hydrate the dried pods enough to get some smoke into them. Sounds like a good experiment if noone else has done it.

from my (VERY limited) experience, it only takes a couple/few hours for the smoke to get into the chiles. When I did it, the pods were still very moist, so I proceeded to dry or freeze them. You could continue with them in the smoker until they are dried, but I have a feeling they would get REALLY smoky flavored if the smoke continued for the whole time they were in there drying.

Hopefully others who have done more smoking than I will chime in.

SL

I actually have done this and it works. My manufacturer has a customer who he let slip uses this process with dried Cayennes, so I had to try it. I prefer the taste of the fresh-smoked myself, the dried pods do take the smoke. They don't take it as boldly, so you'll want to use one of the "big" flavored woods. (hickory/oak/mesquite).

Another thing I've done with dried pods is toast them lightly under a broiler. This also changes the flavor/character of the pods slightly. I enjoy the "toasted" flavor and find it adds an interesting and familiar quality without impacting the heat. To date I've only done this with dried cayenne, tepin & habs. :cheers:

Im gonna try it this year when my crop comes in. I may even buy a smoker this year. I built one of the Alton Brown type smokers two years ago from a terracota flower pot and an electric hot plate. Works pretty good but a bit low on power and kind of small. I think I am ready to go for the gusto and get a real smoker. This could be the year of peppers, BBQ and smokin'.

Back